Talk

Advanced search

Films to watch with teens

(51 Posts)
WokusPocus Tue 21-Jul-20 15:13:39

I'm thinking of introducing a regular family film night as a good opportunity to spend some time with my teens, who I feel I see less and less of these days. My dd16 and ds14 are in it for the snacks up for it. Any suggestions on what we can all watch together? We are a fairly unshockable bunch so it doesn't have to be particularly 'family friendly'. Generally funny or gripping is a good way to go - I don't' enjoy horror but like some creepy spine-chillers. TIA smile

OP’s posts: |
TheTurnOfTheScrew Tue 21-Jul-20 15:17:03

My 13yo enjoyed watching Parasite with us - funny AND gripping, also rather violent in places, mind.

Einszwei Tue 21-Jul-20 15:27:08

The Truman Show
Catch me if you can
Gangs of New York

muckandnettles Tue 21-Jul-20 15:35:24

I second Catch me if You Can and would also suggest Wild (which is outdoorsy and sort of feminist), also The Quiet Place (very tense film)

BigusBumus Tue 21-Jul-20 15:39:50

Shaun of the Dead, Wayne's World, The Hangover, Hotel Mumbai, Bohemian Rhapsody.

BigusBumus Tue 21-Jul-20 15:40:55

Ooh yes @Muckandnettles. The Quiet Place was great.

BigusBumus Tue 21-Jul-20 15:41:33

The Beach was enjoyed by my boys recently.

IveSeenThings Tue 21-Jul-20 15:48:48

The Matrix
Scott Pilgrim
Mean Girls
Die Hard

Changeissometimesgood Tue 21-Jul-20 16:06:26

Get Out
Us
The Conjuring

TreacherousPissFlap Tue 21-Jul-20 16:08:39

We've just enjoyed JoJo Rabbit

HasaDigaEebowai Tue 21-Jul-20 16:11:29

We watched Unbroken last night (about Louis Zamperini). Its a fantastic film and both teen DSs loved it.

WokusPocus Tue 21-Jul-20 17:05:21

Thanks for the recommendations! Get Out, Parasite, Hotel Mumbai and the Beach are definitely going on the list. Bohemian Rhapsody is already a huge family favourite.

Would Thelma and Louise be too dated? Was thinking dd might enjoy it.

In other news, DH has just taken ds to the hospital with a suspected broken finger - so there may well be some sofa time over the next couple of days!

WokusPocus Tue 21-Jul-20 17:06:29

The Quiet Place and Bird Box have also been big hits here. I love anything apocalyptic.

betteliefsen Tue 21-Jul-20 17:07:35

1917 was popular here.

NC4Now Tue 21-Jul-20 17:09:11

Mine really enjoyed The commitments recently.

WokusPocus Tue 21-Jul-20 17:17:17

1917 is a great one me and DH saw it at the cinema a while back and ds was very annoyed to miss it.

I think they would both enjoy the humour of The Commitments. I had also been thinking of Sing Street.

unstableunicorn Tue 21-Jul-20 17:20:03

Happy death day or the purge maybe? Would you watch a series together? At ours we're going through stranger things atm and everyone loved the umbrella academy

IveSeenThings Tue 21-Jul-20 17:20:28

The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Royal Tennenbaums
The Life Aquatic
Blade Runner
Event Horizon
Pacific Rim

BigusBumus Tue 21-Jul-20 17:23:05

Would Trainspotting be too grown up?

Atadaddicted Tue 21-Jul-20 17:23:23

I am legend

WokusPocus Tue 21-Jul-20 17:32:09

We have watched Happy Death Day, which was great fun and also The Purge. We are have watched some fairly 'edgy' stuff but I don't think we would go as far as Train Spotting - I think the dead baby would probably finish DS off!

We have worked our way through Breaking Bad and are on Better Call Saul with ds, but this holds no interest for dd; films are the way forward with her - she definitely wouldn't commit to a whole series with us!

betteliefsen Tue 21-Jul-20 22:47:59

What we did on our holidays is great as is the man who sued god

Sidge Tue 21-Jul-20 23:09:10

I watched Red Joan recently with DD3 who’s 13. We both really enjoyed it and it started some interesting conversations about women in science, the war, espionage etc!

We’ve also enjoyed Deadpool (1 and 2) as well as Lion and Slumdog Millionaire. She doesn’t share my love of Hot Fuzz (shame) but did like Yesterday.

WokusPocus Wed 22-Jul-20 14:05:49

@Sidge ds didn't like Hot Fuzz either - he found it a bit disturbing! I really want to see Lion - I might suggest it for this Saturday. Red Joan would be a good one too.

Thanks everyone - I have quite a long list now - please keep them coming!

Sidge Wed 22-Jul-20 14:12:13

@WokusPocus I think she didn’t appreciate the schlock horror, she prefers more subtle themes 🤣

Lion is excellent, quite emotional.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in