Talk

Advanced search

Sigmoidoscopy to diagnose ulcerative colitis

(4 Posts)
Deardonkey Sat 18-Jul-20 21:50:22

DD has just been diagnosed with severe ulcerative colitis. DD had a sigmoidoscopy a couple of days ago which showed distal colitis.
DD didn’t really take in much information and I wasn’t allowed in the hospital with her due to Covid so we left with a few questions. Does anyone know if a sigmoidoscopy would show pan colitis or does it not reach as far as that - DD said it only went about 25 cms but didn’t know if her inflammation stopped before that.

OP’s posts: |
Toomanyapplesinthefruitbowl Sat 18-Jul-20 21:55:06

Sorry to hear about your DD, but at least with a diagnosis treatment can start. The Crohn’s and Colitis charity has lots of useful info.

In my experience a flexible sigmoidoscopy is normally the first option, and then further tests happen off the back of it. So the extent of further inflammation would be diagnosed by a full colonoscopy.

How old is your DD? I was 15 when I was diagnosed with severe Crohn’s, but 20 years on it’s just part of life now, as opposed to the all consuming thing it appeared to be at the start

StillMedusa Sat 18-Jul-20 22:28:43

I believe distal is much more common than pan colitis, so there is a good chance it doesn't extend further.. but either way your daughter will be put on medication asap and with any luck (and probably a few med tweaks) she will feel a lot better quickly.
My ds2 was diagnosed with distal uc 18m ago, (aged 21) but had probably had it for years.. he was dismissed as having irritable bowel until we saw a different GP who agreed that pooing 20 times a day with more blood than anything was not Ibs.. sent him for the scope and he was on meds by the afternoon!
He's on pentasa tablets and enemas and sometimes steroids and his life is SO SO much better now.

crossstitchingnana Tue 28-Jul-20 17:09:58

My dd has just had test results back from a stool sample, saying it's high for inflammatory markers and she's being referred to paediatric services. The thinking is UC or Crohn's but she is not passing blood. Any thoughts?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in