Talk

Advanced search

Hastings - where exactly is best to live?

(7 Posts)
Puffykins Sat 18-Jul-20 21:24:59

I've tried to post this in local but the locations wouldn't load - I'm (we're - me, DH, two DCs) intending to move to Hastings. I've seen houses I like in the Old Town (up a bit - Coburg Place etc. - rather than the High Street), and houses I like by Alexandra Park, and I think the schools I'd like my DC to attend are the north side of Alexandra Park (ideally, Ark Blacklands, as we'd be transferring from an Ark school in London, with a view to their going to Ark Alexandra for secondary.) I'm like to be able to walk/ bike everywhere, and I'd like easy access to convenient shops, the station (I'll need to come into London maybe once or twice a week) but I'd still love to be as close as possible to the sea, and to able to walk dogs on the cliff as well as in the park...... so, to anyone who knows Hastings really well, where is my sweet spot? (Also, I haven't looked around either school yet. Or even enquired as to the waiting list for Blacklands - my DC will be going to years 6 and 4 in September - depending on how quickly we manage to sell and buy..... ) And thank you! Oh, and also, what is the local hospital situation?! I'd ideally need one with a paediatric oncology unit.... (I mean, I'm hoping not to need it, but just in case DS relapses I would like to know what my options are.... ) Thank you again.

OP’s posts: |
Standrewsschool Sat 18-Jul-20 21:31:22

oncology

Just googled Conquest hospital in Hastings. I’m not sure they do paediatric oncology. You may have to go to Brighton or Maidstone.

oncology

Puffykins Sat 18-Jul-20 21:37:02

@Standrewsschool thank you. Yes I'd scanned the drop down menu on the Conquest Hospital web page, but couldn't (sadly) see oncology at all..... it sounds brilliant for everything else though!

StikkerBott Sat 18-Jul-20 23:07:49

This is from early this year OP,

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/property/3802436-hastings-or-eastbourne-to-live

I

lilmishap Sat 18-Jul-20 23:42:31

It's likely Alexandra Park tbh! I lived in Hastings for years without a car and on foot with a buggy for a few years. Apart from the bloody hills (Elphinstone, Old London Rd and Mount Pleasant gave me legs like a rugby player when I lived in Ore), everything you want is an easy walk/cycle from the park.

I lived on Croft Road in Old town in my early twenties and loved it but in your shoes because of the park and the houses being lovely and old town being a short walk I'd be looking to Alexandra Park have you looked at East or West hill?. There are some gems hiding on both and the dog walking and view is a real tonic every morning

dontgobaconmyheart Sun 19-Jul-20 00:00:39

Honest opinion OP is that I would move to Eastbourne instead ( I grew up in the area so know it well). Or Bexhill, it you prefer it quieter with quiet beaches but still good access to either hastings or eastbourne.

Eastbourne is far better equipped and nicer though. Apologies if that's not helpful to add, I realise you haven't asked. Property is cheaper in Hastings and Bexhill, as a plus.

Puffykins Sun 19-Jul-20 06:45:38

@lilmishap yes I looked on the hills, and there are indeed gems - though with smaller gardens I've noticed. I do love them though. And @dontgobaconmyheart thank you for the Eastbourne idea - however DH works in Kent so Hastings is better geographically....

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in