Talk

Advanced search

Is anyone going to continue to homeschool through the summer holidays?

(17 Posts)
Strawberrypancakes Tue 14-Jul-20 22:06:54

I got my DD’s school reports this week which are only to reflect the school year up until the lockdown. One DD (as I expected) had all 1’s, exceeding the national average and lovely comments about her kind nature etc. I know this, she’s a very good girl and we’re really lucky.

My other DD however has a report of all 3’s (doesn’t meet) and comments that are about needing to try harder etc. She’s just turned 7 and has SEN.

I didn’t realise that the report wasn’t going to include the home schooling we’ve been sending in as I’ve been working my arse off with her to help her in areas she’s behind (as much as I can, I am terrible at maths!) and I feel that although it’s been a difficult time and she clearly doesn’t want to learn, she has massively improved in things like handwriting, general arithmetic, telling the time (not quite there yet but making strides) and most of all her creativity in English. She’s written some absolutely crazy stories but they’re full of adjectives and make some semblance of sense, as opposed to previous work which was an illegible line.

As we’ve now got into a routine that she accepts of working on week day mornings I’m thinking of trying to continue it to help her catch up. (If I can! I’m not a natural teacher and am desperate for school to start btw, her teacher is incredible and definitely deserves a raise!)

Is anyone else going to continue? And if so, without work being set by teachers, are you planning to use bite size / workbooks etc?

Thanks in advance for any replies, DH thinks that from this Friday is summer and they just need a break, but I don’t want to lose momentum on the small improvements I’m seeing.

OP’s posts: |
Mumtumwobble Tue 14-Jul-20 22:19:14

To be honest I don’t think I would. Maybe try and keep up some reading, basic maths etc, but definitely not in a lesson type of way. You all need a break and it’s going to be full on come September. I’m a secondary head of department and dh is a primary deputy head - schools will be planning how to help pupils catch up next year with a recovery curriculum. Enjoy the summer break so that you’re ready to hit the ground running at the start of the autumn term.

Kittywampus Tue 14-Jul-20 22:20:34

I probably will continue to an extent because it will give Dc something to do while I am working. We definitely didn't keep up with everything that school have provided during lockdown so we'll carry on with that.

ginsparkles Tue 14-Jul-20 22:25:47

Not to the extent we have been so far but yes. However we always have done. Since she first started school she would struggle the first term back after a holiday, so we always keep up with a little holiday project, some maths worksheets and fun educational activities in keeping with what she's been learning in school.

ginsparkles Tue 14-Jul-20 22:25:56

Not to the extent we have been so far but yes. However we always have done. Since she first started school she would struggle the first term back after a holiday, so we always keep up with a little holiday project, some maths worksheets and fun educational activities in keeping with what she's been learning in school.

Santasunhelpfulhelper Tue 14-Jul-20 22:30:24

Yes we are, just a few little tasks a day. Nothing new, just going over the basics and reading aloud everyday. We did it last summer as well and it helped in September. They aren’t academic and need that little extra.

Ltdannygreen Tue 14-Jul-20 22:34:34

Hell no... he’ll would have to freeze before my boy would do any work over the summer holidays. I need the break tbh, I’m just about holding it together this last week. He’s 12 and has ASD so no chance!

Impatientwino Tue 14-Jul-20 22:34:51

DS ages 8 will still do his daily online Doodlemaths (which he likes) and a bit of reading every day but that's it. We all need a break now!

MinesAPintOfTea Tue 14-Jul-20 22:35:03

I'm going to because I have 1.5 weeks of leave, and will be working throughout the rest. But we've only done 90 minutes of structured activities each workday throughout, I just think it helps DS not to be facing an unstructured morning when I'm in calls but instead have something to achieve then something to look forward to

Di11y Tue 14-Jul-20 22:35:20

Yes, DD is going into y2 not able to string a sentence together (written) without a lot of support and really poor spelling. Was marked as embarking on her report. I'll continue doing an hour a day 3-4 days a week Unless we're away on holiday.

RainbowMum11 Tue 14-Jul-20 22:36:51

I have been very hit and miss with homeschooling during lock down because my DD7 is dyslexic and gets really upset when she can't do something, so we have been focusing on things that she can do, like maths.
However, I had a panic last week that she will be really very behind, particularly with writing when she goes back into juniors in Sept so bought a load of Collins books and we are going to go through 1 page/section in a different book each day to try to get her back into learning.
We have been doing stuff but through play and I have been sneaking it in so she doesn't realise she is learning but it hasn't been enough.

mindutopia Tue 14-Jul-20 22:37:35

Yes, except for when we’re on holiday or the days I can get her into holiday club. “Homeschooling” has mostly consisted of about an hour a day during the week of any sort of actual learning and about 7 hours a day watching tv while I work. I think she’ll be much happier going back to school if it’s all still fresh.

TimeWastingButFun Tue 14-Jul-20 22:37:45

An hour or so a day, yes - one son is going to a new school and we're going to make sure he is up to speed on their curriculum to date (just looking for any possible gaps) and the other is doing his 11+ next term. But probably just an hour.

TimeWastingButFun Tue 14-Jul-20 22:38:16

And daily reading, but they do that anyway.

ArtieFufkinPolymerRecords Tue 14-Jul-20 22:46:31

I didn’t realise that the report wasn’t going to include the home schooling we’ve been sending in as I’ve been working my arse off with her to help her in areas she’s behind (as much as I can, I am terrible at maths!) and I feel that although it’s been a difficult time and she clearly doesn’t want to learn, she has massively improved in things like handwriting, general arithmetic, telling the time (not quite there yet but making strides) and most of all her creativity in English.

The class teacher can only say what level your daughter was working at up to the point of the school closing, because they have not observed her independently achieving anything since then, and they do not know how much help she has had to produce any work she has done.

Strawberrypancakes Tue 14-Jul-20 22:52:30

ArtieFufkinPolymerRecords

*I didn’t realise that the report wasn’t going to include the home schooling we’ve been sending in as I’ve been working my arse off with her to help her in areas she’s behind (as much as I can, I am terrible at maths!) and I feel that although it’s been a difficult time and she clearly doesn’t want to learn, she has massively improved in things like handwriting, general arithmetic, telling the time (not quite there yet but making strides) and most of all her creativity in English.*

The class teacher can only say what level your daughter was working at up to the point of the school closing, because they have not observed her independently achieving anything since then, and they do not know how much help she has had to produce any work she has done.

I completely understand what you’re saying, but for the child that has worked so hard, even one sentence about it would have been something. After such struggle to complete all the work and at times, lots of tears, to have nothing positive to say to her from her teachers was pretty hard.

OP’s posts: |
ArtieFufkinPolymerRecords Tue 14-Jul-20 23:04:03

Oh absolutely there should have been a positive comment about how well she had worked during the school closure, but they just can't base levels on it.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in