Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone do Pilates and Yoga?

(5 Posts)
kaleishorrid Sat 11-Jul-20 12:49:52

Or are the breathing techniques just too different?

During lockdown I have done some yoga - which I enjoyed - but I am still very inflexible. Would Pilates be better? Should I do both?

Thanks

OP’s posts: |
DollyMixtureLulus Sat 11-Jul-20 13:37:29

I go to yoga and pilates classes no problem. I think yoga makes me more stretchy though.

Watchagotcha Sat 11-Jul-20 14:33:12

I think you can do both, I used to do yoga and I now do Pilates. I don't think the breathing is all that different TBH.

I swapped to PIlates as I got fed up with all the 'be mindful, connect with the earth through the breath, love and respect yourself' waffle that seems to come with the yoga. With PIlates, you get straight down to the exercises without all the lectures and timewasting. So a 30 minute PIlates workout is 30 minutes of exercising, whereas with yoga (even the lovely Adrienne) it's 20 minutes of exercising and 10 minutes waffling.

ifyoulikepinacolada Sat 11-Jul-20 15:09:05

Do whichever you enjoy! I teach and practise both - the breathing isn’t quite the same but it’s not hard to switch.

Foxyloxy1plus1 Sat 11-Jul-20 15:34:09

I do both. The Pilates breathing is that you breathe in to prepare and out when you do the exercise. The Pilates instructor has us practising breathing techniques anyway.

The yoga instructor does three part breathing often. I’ve never had a problem switching from one to another.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in