Talk

Advanced search

Vaccum cleaner recommendations

(19 Posts)
MeadowHay Sat 11-Jul-20 10:33:28

Can anyone recommend a good budget vacuum cleaner? I don't really want to spend more than say £100 and the less the better. Our current hoover is less than 2yrs old and still works but it's just rubbish. It's soo noisy but doesn't seem powerful at all and hoovering takes ages. It's a cheap Vax one that we bought on Amazon that was sold as being extra powerful to pick up pet hairs (we had small furries at the time we bought it). It was a newer model of our previous Vax one which was only £50 and lasted us about 5 yrs and was actually better than this one! confused

Any recommendations?

OP’s posts: |
AlCalavicci Sat 11-Jul-20 11:15:23

It may be out of your budget but you could wait for a sale and get s Eufy robot vac Mine was just under £200 nut I have seen them for £150 . I really like it make keeping the floor clean really easy.

Failing that you cant really go wrong with a Henry.

bilbodog Sat 11-Jul-20 11:15:33

Henry

MaddeningtheUnhelpful Sat 11-Jul-20 11:17:41

I love my henry, and have a dog and cat. Works well with the fur! They are on offer at Tescos atm I believe for around £100

MrDarcysMa Sat 11-Jul-20 11:49:29

Ive just bought a new henry for my work and I'm a convert. loads more powerful than my dyson, long chord, they last forever (my mum has one 20 years old) ighweight and dead easy to repair. I think they're just so cheap because they look stupid.
Ive been looking for a chordless one but not convinced by the power or weight of any of them !

MeadowHay Sat 11-Jul-20 11:51:46

DM has a Henry and praises it and told me about the offer in Tesco's too. I was just hoping for something even cheaper but doesn't look like will be able to get anything decent for less. Isn't a Henry difficult to do the stairs with though?

StreetHaunting Sat 11-Jul-20 11:52:06

I just got the Vax max air stretch pet (? something like that it's called) it's £100 at Argos and I'm very pleased with!

MaddeningtheUnhelpful Sat 11-Jul-20 12:18:53

No idea about stairs to be honest. I tend to use a stiff brush on the stairs, work my way down and hoover the bottom when done grin

Mysa74 Sat 11-Jul-20 12:30:23

I bought my Hetty (sister of Henry) from facebook marketplace for £30 barely used and absolutely brilliant, spent £4 approx on a reusable hoover bag from eBay and we're still going strong years later.The cord is so long I can do the whole floor without having to unplug between rooms and it's so much more efficient (and quieter than my awful old Dyson.

MrDarcysMa Sat 11-Jul-20 12:37:40

@MeadowHay the henry is the same as using my dyson to do the stairs. Yes you have to hold the main body with one hand but I also had to with my dyson (non upright one)
Henry has a good small brush attachment for stairs too and a long hose.

SuckingDieselFella Sat 11-Jul-20 12:45:24

Vax is cheap crap. I've had a couple and they don't last a year. Customer service is terrible - all smiley faces and emoticons but they won't fix the issue. Avoid.

StreetHaunting Sat 11-Jul-20 12:47:19

Well ok but my last vax lasted ten years smile

NotExactlyHappyToHelp Sat 11-Jul-20 13:09:52

Definitely a Hetty or a Henry. Even though I upgraded to an all singing all dancing Shark fella Het is still tucked up in the cupboard in case I need her.

They’re the workhorses of hoovers.

Have a look on Facebook marketplace or gumtree to see if you can get a second hand one.

Izzabellasasperella Sat 11-Jul-20 15:01:21

I bought a cheap (£50) small hoover from Amazon when my old Henry broke. The reviews were great, it was rubbish! As soon as you did one room the suction just went.
I bought another Henry, Argos had the blue one for £99. Really great suction, long hose and cable.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 11-Jul-20 15:18:08

@MeadowHay Can you run to £119 for a Miele? You can’t go wrong with Miele.

You know me, I like to get my monies worth. Argos do the bags now too.

Cheap vacuums drive you literally mad.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 11-Jul-20 15:18:44

www.amazon.co.uk/Miele-Classic-Junior-PowerLine-Cleaner/dp/B074P3G7WH/ref=asc_df_B074P3G7WH/?hvlocphy=9046175&linkCode=df0&hvptwo&hvnetw=g&hvadid=256184816614&hvpone&hvlocint&th=1&hvpos&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl&hvqmt&tag=mumsnetforu03-21&hvtargid=pla-421721942050&hvrand=663810860328678662

£119 Miele.

MrDarcysMa Sat 11-Jul-20 15:31:57

The only negative about the Henry (apart from them looking a bit silly) is they don't store away as neatly as others. The long hose has nothing to wrap around etc. So it would depend on where you're keeping it!

MeadowHay Sat 11-Jul-20 20:29:30

We don't have proper storage for our current hoover, it just lives in the spare bedroom, so that doesn't matter. Thanks all smile

ProudMarys Sat 11-Jul-20 20:32:20

A Henry will last you years also! I recommend getting a turbo brush head with it though.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in