Talk

Advanced search

I can't believe they are doing this.

(39 Posts)
RhapsodyandAshe Thu 09-Jul-20 21:30:38

At 9.10 this evening they set up roadworks from just down the street from me and are using Industrial power tools at this time of night.
I really needed an early night tonight and that's not going to happen now.
How can this be a thing?

OP’s posts: |
Nicknacky Thu 09-Jul-20 21:31:32

Presumably it’s an emergency and can’t be helped.

FunTimes2020 Thu 09-Jul-20 21:33:43

Agreed. It will be an emergency.

helpfulperson Thu 09-Jul-20 21:35:31

At this time of night it will be to restore power or water or to prevent serious issues.

Fatted Thu 09-Jul-20 21:35:32

Because they can OP.

Just be glad it's not your power or water that's gone.

CuppaZa Thu 09-Jul-20 21:36:53

They only do work like that at this time of night for emergency reasons. I’m sure they’ll be finished as soon as they can be

Lalalamps Thu 09-Jul-20 21:36:58

Is it a road that’s so busy it would be too disruptive to work on during the day?

gamerchick Thu 09-Jul-20 21:37:12

It'll be an emergency definitely. That doesn't help you and I feel your feelz properly. flowers I can't bear that kind of noise.

Aquamarine1029 Thu 09-Jul-20 21:39:20

They don't work through the night unless they absolutely have to. I suspect a water main break.

LeviOsaNotLeviosAR Thu 09-Jul-20 21:40:49

I work for a company who supplies this sort of equipment for emergency repairs. It will undoubtedly be an emergency gas escape or water burst type of repair that can't wait.
If the noise is loud, ask them to get an emergency hire of echo/acoustic barriers. That should help reduce the noise a little bit - and if they expect the work to last into the night they should be planning this anyway.

Ginfordinner Thu 09-Jul-20 21:41:02

I agree with PP. It will be to deal with power failure or a burst water main. If it was your house without electricity or water you would be pleased that it was being dealt with now instead of tomorrow during the day.

DameMargaretofChalfont Thu 09-Jul-20 21:42:23

Are you for real???

Emergency works trump your sleep every time!!!

canyon2000 Thu 09-Jul-20 21:43:35

We had this with Thames Water once. They kept us up all night but it was an emergency repair. Shit happens.

PurpleDaisies Thu 09-Jul-20 21:46:42

What can you do? That’s life isn’t it?
It’s not likely to be routine.

ComDummings Thu 09-Jul-20 21:49:52

It’s shit but it happens, unfortunately. If it’s an emergency at any hour it needs sorting

RhapsodyandAshe Thu 09-Jul-20 21:51:36

I have a pain condition that is effected majorly by lack of sleep plus I totally lose my marbles when I haven't slept
Oh well have given my manager a heads up. If it does go on all night I won't be in a fit state to go into work tomorrow

OP’s posts: |
IKEA888 Thu 09-Jul-20 21:52:39

don't give the OP a heard times folks. They were only asking.

cantgetmyheadroundit Thu 09-Jul-20 21:55:49

Have you not got some earplugs? I know it's annoying, but have you actually already decided you're calling in sick?

ComDummings Thu 09-Jul-20 21:56:24

Hopefully it will be fixed soon and you can get a good chunk of sleep.

Nicknacky Thu 09-Jul-20 22:01:49

Surely it’s a bit early to think that you won’t make work?!

jackdaw141 Thu 09-Jul-20 22:09:15

COVID-19 is breaching there. Like War of the Worlds. They are trying to prevent it from surfacing and infecting the planet. Support them. Wear your mask!

HandsDownRoundTheTown Thu 09-Jul-20 22:09:34

Ear plugs. And my sympathies. I would be raging too.

But I’d also be unimpressed if one of my team messaged me the night before to say they wouldn’t be in work tomorrow as they were anticipating a bad nights sleep. I see that as “shit happens”

m0therofdragons Thu 09-Jul-20 22:13:55

We had this last year during dd1’s sats week - digging up the road until 2am 4 nights in a row. They decided it’d be too disruptive in the day but plans didn’t show any work as far down as us and even when we called the helpline on the signs they insisted the work wasn’t outside my window shaking my house. If I’d known in advance I would have arranged to stay elsewhere that week!

m0therofdragons Thu 09-Jul-20 22:15:53

I was pissed off but of course I went to work the next day. Mind you I had dd1 followed by twins so I’m used to faking being awake.

Gingaaarghpussy Thu 09-Jul-20 22:16:04

I sympathise. Although I'm regularly woken by a road sweeper.
I've been woken too early by workers doodling on the street, putting signs up, putting dots on the pavement, filling holes and retarmacking.
I've also been woken too early by noisy seagulls and my cat.grin

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in