Talk

Advanced search

How are Farley's Rusks allowed to be sold as suitable baby food?

(154 Posts)
00100001 Thu 09-Jul-20 18:19:11

They have 4.9g of sugar in them! Per biscuit...not per 100g!

For reference a McVities milk hocolate digestive has 4.8g of sugar per biscuit

Does anyone know why they're allowed?

OP’s posts: |
blackcat86 Thu 09-Jul-20 18:21:44

I know. It's awful. I never bought them for DD as a baby. There are lots of low sugar options that are better

LoisLittsLover Thu 09-Jul-20 18:24:31

Dh (yes, DH, not a typo) loves them and I sometimes buy them for him!! Never given one to the children though - loads of people do though which is scary

homemadecommunistrussia Thu 09-Jul-20 18:24:45

Mmm ruskssmile

gingercat02 Thu 09-Jul-20 18:25:16

Dreadful things but really yummy

UnfinishedSymphon Thu 09-Jul-20 18:26:42

I definitely wouldn't give them to babies but I ate 4 at the weekend, they are delicious!

okiedokieme Thu 09-Jul-20 18:27:01

Very yummy! (Adult) they should be an occasional treat, then there's not an issue

PinkyBrain Thu 09-Jul-20 18:27:37

Agreed. Too delicious for babies, pass them here. grin

Babs709 Thu 09-Jul-20 18:28:20

My mum appeared with a box for my DS and I’d occasionally give him one but he’d never eat much of it.

I’m a bit baffled by the sugar thing... so many foods marketed for babies (let alone toddlers or children) have a crazy amount of sugar in them. I’m pretty switched on with this stuff but sugar content isn’t high on my priority list so I gave DS a few of those biscotti things before I bothered to look at the NV and saw how sugary they were.

Wolfgirrl Thu 09-Jul-20 18:38:11

Oh no I've been giving them to 11mo DD, taken in by the advertising that they're fortified with iron etc!

I've only ever given her half a rusk in one go, usually a quarter as a small snack, and I've never given her any other 'sweet' food like cake, biscuits, sweets etc.

Have I ruined her teeth sad

maddiemookins16mum Thu 09-Jul-20 18:43:01

I remember mixing formula with half a rusk for my niece’s breakfast (albeit in the mid 80s) at 4 months. ☺️☺️

octobersky19 Thu 09-Jul-20 18:44:34

My health visitor warned me about them, MIL gave TWO to my son (9mo) with some milk

I was fuming.

YorkshirePud1 Thu 09-Jul-20 18:46:42

I was disappointed when I found out how bad they are before I had my baby, I always thought pinching their rusks was a parenthood perk. Damn it.

Fandanglethat Thu 09-Jul-20 18:47:12

Meh, "baby food" is just a marketing ploy. There's no regulations around what is or isn't baby food. And most baby food has a tonne of sugar in it but usually disguised as grape or apple juice - it's still just sugar!

woodlandwalker Thu 09-Jul-20 18:48:48

40 years ago my MIL insisted rusks were the best food to give a baby when weaning so I bought some and tried one first. They were disgustingly sweet and my baby did not get any, just baby rice. I'm amazed they are still sold for babies.

Lockdownseperation Thu 09-Jul-20 18:53:24

I don’t agree with them but I’m more concerned at baby food marketed at from 4 months olds. And cot bumpers, they really upset me.

00100001 Thu 09-Jul-20 18:57:02

Wolfgirrl

Oh no I've been giving them to 11mo DD, taken in by the advertising that they're fortified with iron etc!

I've only ever given her half a rusk in one go, usually a quarter as a small snack, and I've never given her any other 'sweet' food like cake, biscuits, sweets etc.

Have I ruined her teeth sad

They're fortified with iron because they're made with white flour, which is fortified.

It's a bit of a naughty marketing trick.

You haven't ruined your babies teeth, as I'm sure you're brushing them twice daily.
But may want to reconsider giving them to her as often!

00100001 Thu 09-Jul-20 18:57:52

All white flour and things like white bread, cereals etc are fortified smile

00100001 Thu 09-Jul-20 18:59:38

Lockdownseperation

I don’t agree with them but I’m more concerned at baby food marketed at from 4 months olds. And cot bumpers, they really upset me.

That's because the law hasn't caught up with the guidelines, so frustrating that someone would in good faith give their 14w+ ("around 4 months") old baby a sugar biscuit!

Melonslicexx Thu 09-Jul-20 19:15:40

My kids had them occasionally. Never hurt them! There's 13g sugar in the little yoghurts for kids

megletthesecond Thu 09-Jul-20 19:19:16

I've always wondered this. Mine had the odd rusk as a toddler when they'd been poorly but never as babies.

I wonder if you can get gluten free ones?

Fatted Thu 09-Jul-20 19:19:51

I agree with @Fandanglethat baby food is a con. It's like those stupid bags of 'carrot puffs' that look suspiciously like wostists or burger bites and cost five times as much.

You also get sugar free rusks. I don't like them, they go soggy in my tea.

Zhampagne Thu 09-Jul-20 19:20:21

I genuinely don’t think I know anyone who gives them to their child. It’s all Organix rice cakes and those Goodies biscuits.

GameSetMatch Thu 09-Jul-20 19:21:18

I wouldn’t give them to a baby, but to put things in perspective a mango has 45g of sugar and we feed those to our children.

allaglow Thu 09-Jul-20 19:22:10

Ooh, could just eat a bowl of Farley's rusks and warm milk (I'm 56).

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in