Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone own an air conditioning unit please??

(46 Posts)
Wonderingwhyme Wed 01-Jul-20 10:55:54

If so what do you have and do you recommend it?? I used to have one when ds was a baby many moons ago but it was massive and very heavy. Are there any newer types that are a reasonable size?? The one I had was the height of a washing machine and about 2/3 of the width. Are there any more dehumidifier size??

OP’s posts: |
Wagsandclaws Wed 01-Jul-20 11:14:49

I've got one and it's fairly compact, it fits on my windowsill in my bedroom although we have fairly deep windowsills but it's very good.

The pipe goes out of the windowsill and I use a Velcro window seal to stop the hot air coming back in and seal the window even though it's open.

When it was 32 here last week I spent most of the day in my bedroom along with the kids, it's a lifesaver in the heat.

PrayingandHoping Wed 01-Jul-20 11:32:52

We have this one

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/sf8000e/amcor-sf8000e?refsource=apadwords&mkwid=sB52quzy5dm&pcrid=330760708467&product=SF8000E&pgrid=65924952906&ptaid=pla-449392777175&channel=search&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6PD3BRDPARIsAN8pHuEE_IFhJc6iorlBEuNY8yV3Y9OVhKu7O0UwWh8HJjfRJiQgscQC-uIgaAlhVEALw_wcB

It's was fantastic last week!!!

Wonderingwhyme Wed 01-Jul-20 11:42:50

In an ideal world I need two... and £600 alooooot of money! That second one looks good @PrayingandHoping

@Wagsandclaws where did yours come from and how much please?

WanderingMilly Wed 01-Jul-20 12:06:50

I have two, I can't live life without an air conditioner! But yes, a proper air conditioner is large, heavy and noisy....and pricey.
The cheaper, smaller ones are not proper air conditioners, they usually blow air over cold water or ice in a compartment and then blow the cooled air out into the room. They are not effective when the heat is up to 30 degrees or whatever.

A full air conditioner has a refrigeration unit inside it which is what makes it heavy and noisy - but effective. I usually buy mine through Amazon or Appliances Direct (www.applicancesdirect.co.uk) - in fact many of the Amazon ones come through these people. They have a larger range, check them out online; you can get the odd air con via Argos or B&Q but they are usually lacking in choice.

The best time to buy is out of season. If you buy them in January, prices are often up to £200 lower in price as no-one is buying them then and they have stock to clear. Once the hot weather comes you can pay £300-£400 or even more per appliance.

You need to get up to speed on BTU - this is the capacity of the air conditioner. A cheaper one will only be something like 7000 BTU and this won't really chill very much once it gets hotter unless you have a room the size of a cot bed. 1000 or 12000 are more common but are more expensive, they will make an impact on a normal sized room. However, the best ones are 15000 or even 18000, not often seen for purchase online. They will also be very expensive, some can be £600 in peak season. But they are brilliant when we get those 36 degrees days. Air conditioners are good buys though, once you get a good one they run for hours and don't often break down.

It is easier if you have sash windows as there is always a pipe that takes the heat out of the window, but any window can be blocked off with a large piece of thick card over the open window space, and a hole cut in for the pipe, and sealed around. If you know a builder you can always drill through the outer wall and have a pipe to the outdoors permanently fixed, of course.

I always fix very, very fine mesh over the open end of my outer pipe before fitting it in place, this stops insects crawling through the pipe and through my air con into my house! (Spider fear!)

As for types, I currently have Electriq for my two but have used Amcor which are also very good.

Wonderingwhyme Wed 01-Jul-20 12:30:58

@WanderingMilly you sound very knowledgeable thanks! I will do some research. I know about the costs and out of season etc but needs must. I now have a dog too that really really struggled in the heat the other week at night, so much so that I stayed up all night with her!

I want to get one for dc room but his room is teeny tiny and his bed is in front of the window so the pipe is not long enough to get one for his room. Iv seen those coolers you mentioned... won’t they be better for his room than a fan? Don’t need a pipe out the window..... I know you have to fill it up with ice/water. Which one is the best of the bad bunch, any idea?

PrayingandHoping Wed 01-Jul-20 12:33:24

We have cooling fans for upstairs. They won't make the room cooler but makes it more tolerable if U have it blowing over u

Wonderingwhyme Wed 01-Jul-20 12:36:17

Thanks @PrayingandHoping his room is tiny, the width is the length of his bed and the depth is not much more than the opening of the doorway so less than 2m. Do you think it would be better than a normal fan?

PrayingandHoping Wed 01-Jul-20 13:17:55

Yh they are better than a normal fan

Wonderingwhyme Thu 02-Jul-20 08:20:14

Can anyone else recommend one? Particularly one I would be able to carry upstairs by myself?

Wonderingwhyme Thu 02-Jul-20 08:23:54

Some of the ones I’m looking at the reviews say the hose is really short...: so not ideal as I don’t have anything to stand the unit on

PrayingandHoping Thu 02-Jul-20 09:40:42

The one I linked u can easily lift up the stairs and the hose is easily long enough for the unit to be on the floor and the hose go through the window.

We had the hose going out the patio door but the unit was pulled well away as we wanted it to blow around a corner.

Wonderingwhyme Thu 02-Jul-20 10:44:24

Ok thanks I’m going to bite the bullet and buy. It will fit in my cupboard during winter. Do you use anything round the window? To stop the hot air coming back in? My very old one I just stuck the pipe out the window and closed the window on it? Also which of the cooling fans do you have? I’m currently looking at one on amazon that’s £40 that I’m thinking of for dc room? @PrayingandHoping

PrayingandHoping Thu 02-Jul-20 10:50:54

Because it was a patio door we bought that off amazon.

Next time it's hot we will take it upstairs overnight but we will just put it out the window and shut the curtains. Not perfect but it's not as hot overnight anyway!

I think that's the cooling fan we bought. It was also from appliances direct and was an electriq. I thought hubbie said it was £70.... maybe it was on offer then. Don't know

Wonderingwhyme Thu 02-Jul-20 15:13:58

Ah ok thanks @PrayingandHoping I keep reading reviews and people keep saying the hose isn’t long enough..... it would be put right under the window but the window is the usual height off the ground.... most have 1.5m hose.... is this going to be an issue for me do you think? I have nothing to put it on, just the floor?

PrayingandHoping Thu 02-Jul-20 15:29:19

Well ours extends at least that long. It pushes
Together for storage.... perhaps people are being thick and not extending it?

PrayingandHoping Thu 02-Jul-20 15:31:19

There u go. In product details it says it's 1.5m.....

If we put ours on the floor under the window it would easily reach. I reckon people aren't extending it

Wonderingwhyme Thu 02-Jul-20 15:51:48

Really! That’s obvious isn’t it? I couldn’t work out why they were saying it wasn’t long enough! Unless they were putting it the opposite side of the room to the window.

PrayingandHoping Thu 02-Jul-20 16:07:36

Either bring unrealistic and or expecting it to be massively long.

I reckon if I put the unit in front of my sofa the hose would go over the top and out the window behind if that gives u an idea. It really isn't short.

When collapsed the hose is maybe around a foot long? I agree that's not long but that's not how it's meant to be used 🤣

Wonderingwhyme Thu 02-Jul-20 16:38:34

grin

Meruem Thu 02-Jul-20 17:30:36

I would also say don’t worry too much about air gaps in the windows. I was always vigilant about keeping the door shut and blocking every window gap. But this year I now have 2 cats so have to leave the door open a little for them to get in and out. Plus I have sash windows and opened the top one (so the cats wouldn’t get out) and then it stuck and wouldn’t close again (although fixed it in the end). Anyway, point of the story is my air con performed just as well as its always done when everything is shut! There was no difference whatsoever. I was quite shocked. So if you end up with small gaps it won’t matter.

sassafras123 Thu 02-Jul-20 19:10:18

Getting rid of ours as too noisy and of course you need to keep the doors closed which makes me feel claustraphobic. Have fast ceiling fans instead much better. I live in a hot climate and long for winter.

Wonderingwhyme Thu 02-Jul-20 20:37:42

I would love ceiling fans but I live in rented and would rather fork out for air con unit that can move with me/round the house if necessary. Good to know about the gaps etc thanks.

Wonderingwhyme Fri 10-Jul-20 06:09:22

@WanderingMilly or anyone else! Going to buy a unit today, what does it mean if it says the units don’t have auto restart? Does that mean if there was power cut they won’t come back on without you turning it back on or does it mean when it hits a temperature you set it does off? Is it not having auto restart a problem?? Don’t want to fork out £300/£400 and end up regretting the model!

Wonderingwhyme Fri 31-Jul-20 18:50:19

So I got my unit.... it’s so bloody loud! I always sleep with white noise, generally a fan or something but this is ridiculous! It’s vibrating the whole floor and very loud. I’m sat downstairs underneath it and it sounds like a car is idling outside the window! There must be quieter ones?? I can not sleep with this it’s unreal!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in