Talk

Advanced search

COOK meals for new parents - any good?

(12 Posts)
NewbieMumma Tue 30-Jun-20 17:51:44

Has anyone ever tried these? And how large are they - as in the actual boxes, say for a 2 person lasagne? I am trying to work out how many to buy for our smallish freezer!

OP’s posts: |
Useruseruserusee Tue 30-Jun-20 17:53:09

Yes, they are pricey but yummy! The lasagne is particularly delicious smile

mynameiscalypso Tue 30-Jun-20 17:54:35

They're okay; expensive but handy to have. I think the ones that work best are the stuff that you'd typically freeze - so curries, pies etc. The stuff that you wouldn't normally freeze is a bit hit and miss. I don't think they're that much better than M&S but we may have overdosed on them!

NewbieMumma Tue 30-Jun-20 18:03:41

Thanks! How big are they? Trying to work out whether to buy meals for 1 or meals for 2 to squeeze into a small freezer!

yomommasmomma Tue 30-Jun-20 18:05:43

They are delicious and really good quality.

Size wise, my husband (and me if I was really hungry!) would easily eat one of their meals for 2, for 1! He is average height and weight.

jackparlabane Tue 30-Jun-20 18:08:36

Cook are brilliant. I tend to buy the ones that I can do with my own rice/pasta/potatoes and some frozen veg - the lamb tagine is amazing, also the pork in brandy and the curries - they can serve 2 or even 3.

The lasagne is good but Lidl do a great one for a fraction of the price. If freezer space is a premium I'd avoid the all-in-one meals. Meals for 2 rather than 1 will be a better use of space.

Note the beef Wellington is £10 a portion - it's good but so it damn well should be! The casseroles etc are much better value for money, more expenisve than a ready meal but cheaper than takeaway.

Snarkastic Tue 30-Jun-20 18:09:09

They've become a bit of a habit since we had kids! I used to steer well clear of ready meals but these are great. Some meals work better than others. I love the satay and beef bourginon type things, stuff I'd not really bother making often myself.

NanTheWiser Tue 30-Jun-20 18:23:42

Cook are the only ready meals I buy (I live alone, so all meals are for one). I like that I can add my own veg, because I eat low carb, there are no carby veg included. They are worth the extra, and do taste like home-cooked.

NewbieMumma Tue 30-Jun-20 18:28:22

Great, thanks everyone! I'm sold! Have just placed a big order for the day before my C-section smile

peaceanddove Tue 30-Jun-20 19:40:32

We've just had a Cook cottage pie for dinner, served with frozen petit pois and it was delicious as always. I find the portions quite generous and it's roughly £16 for the big, family sized ones. So not cheap, but much cheaper than take out for four. We probably have a Cook dinner twice a week and we're never disappointed.

mindutopia Tue 30-Jun-20 20:11:51

Yes, expensive but if you have the money, worth it. We did that with a mix of store family size ready meals, and then some batch cooking I’d frozen and easy store cupboard meals.

FartingNora Tue 30-Jun-20 20:12:47

Yes! I often buy vouchers for Cook as new parent presents!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »