Talk

Advanced search

Books for a 7 year old.

(10 Posts)
Karlkennedyslovechild Sat 23-May-20 13:33:11

DD has just turned 7. She started a box set of Malory Towers at the beginning of lockdown and has almost finished book 12. Any recommendations for what to move onto next? We’ve read all the Famous Five and Faraway Tree. She could try Secret Seven but would be nice to move away from Enid Blyton. She loves Harry Potter but I’ve only let her read the 1st 3 books. She likes Worst Witch. Roald Dahl has been a bit hit and miss and she wasn’t keen on David Walliams but that was a while ago. Any suggestions?

sleepismysuperpower1 Sat 23-May-20 13:35:55

The St Clares series is similar to Malory towers x

mogtheexcellent Sat 23-May-20 13:41:33

Have you tried the Evie series from Matt haig? Evie can understand animals. Dd is 6 but likes swashbuckle lil as well. Shes a pirate.

So many amazing books out there but its difficult to see beyond Dahl and walliams.

NuffSaidSam Sat 23-May-20 13:46:14

Anthony Horowitz. The ones for younger readers.

Little House on the Prairie

Anne of Green Gables

bathorshower Sat 23-May-20 13:46:49

Ballet shoes by Noel Stretfield (?spelling) has been a hit here. As has Badly Drawn Beth. DD also likes Milly Molly Mandy, though they aren't my favourite! Lily at Lissadell by Judith Curtin.

We haven't tried Mallory Towers yet, I'll see if any friends can lend it.

Aroundtheworldin80moves Sat 23-May-20 13:47:14

What sort of reading level?
Mine like Isadora Moon (might be a bit simple of an advanced reader) and Amelia Fang (more advanced). There's also a novel adaptation of the MT TV series which I'm getting DD for her birthday so she hasn't read it yet.

mogtheexcellent Sat 23-May-20 14:34:30

I generally see recommended books and add them to an amazon list for when DD needs new books. On my list is the adventurers series by Jemma Hatt if you want something famous fiveish without it being Enid Blyton. Not to be confused with the Adventure of series by Enid Blyton which is also good.

Also on this list is Nims Island by Wendy Orr and the Marge books by Isla Fisher.

FWIW DD currently reading the Secret Garden but we are having to read it with her as she is only (just) six.

TweeterandtheMonkeyman Sat 23-May-20 14:44:32

DC1 adored Little House on the Prairie from around that age. It’s lovely to have an enthusiastic reader OP, enjoy😍
DC2 aged 7 on the other hand - I’ve yet to find anything to capture his attention enough to pick up a book independently- any suggestions on here for reluctant readers? 😄

Ricekrispie22 Sat 23-May-20 15:31:16

Worst Witch
Pippi Longstocking
Sophie’s Snail series
Mrs Pepperpot
Milly Molly Mandy
The White Giraffe series
Ellie’s Magical Bakery
Best Friends’s Bakery
The Royal Babysitters
Mudpuddle Farm
My Naughty Little Sister

Karlkennedyslovechild Sat 23-May-20 17:15:26

Great suggestions thank you. My friend gave me a box of old books that her daughter’s outgrown and I think Milly Molly Mandy is in there so we’ll give that a go. She likes Isadora Moon and I’ll check out some of the others.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »