Talk

Advanced search

Is this a bat or rat in my loft? Or a demon?

(24 Posts)
treesandrocks Sat 23-May-20 12:04:39

1 am in the morning and we hear screeching and scratching sounds in the loft. We go up there in the morning but there's no sign of anything up there.

It's really loud, enough to wake you up. You can't really hear it clearly from the video but here it is anyway www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aNMqLoFaRw&feature=youtu.be

Thanks

NuffSaidSam Sat 23-May-20 12:06:29

It's a demon shock

I don't know what it is, but fucking hell I wouldn't want to hear that in the middle of the night!

I suggest you immediately burn the house down.

greengauges Sat 23-May-20 12:06:31

Tried playing it but can't get the sound to work - I suspect starlings.

greengauges Sat 23-May-20 12:07:48

Ah - heard it now - squirrels?

Bluntness100 Sat 23-May-20 12:11:22

Sounds like a dog panting.

It’s not a bat, I have them, and it’s not a rat either.

NuffSaidSam Sat 23-May-20 12:14:12

Blunt I think you might want to take your dog to the vet if it pants like that!

nitgel Sat 23-May-20 12:15:52

def sounds like a dog!

ProseccoBubbleFantasies Sat 23-May-20 12:20:09

Demon

NuffSaidSam Sat 23-May-20 12:21:38

Do you think this is like the dress colour thing, where we all listen to the same sound but some hear a dog and some hear a demon?!

silveralpaca Sat 23-May-20 12:23:10

@Bluntness100 @nitgel I'm the daughter who originally took the video and when this happened I checked outside for dogs as well as the whole upstairs and there was nothing to be seen! It was louder than in said video too, loud enough for me to hear through my headphones and the sound was coming from above so either the roof or the attic which is why I was so confused (especially at 1 am..) confusedconfused

EvilEdna1 Sat 23-May-20 12:23:16

We had squirrels and they didn't sound like that. They ran about and were really loud. Also had rats in the loft in a different house and they were louder than that too. Not as bad as the squirrels but less subtle than that.

HellToupee Sat 23-May-20 12:24:24

Sounds like a dog...a demon dog....by the sounds in that video it seems entirely plausible to me the Cerberus has found a portal to and from the Hades in your attic. Burn the house down.

pinkhousesarebest Sat 23-May-20 12:30:21

Could it be edible dormice/ fruit rats? We have them in our garage loft and garden and they are very noisy. I think they are in the south of England now. Hold on, will link ( they are very cute, very active at night and love fruit trees). This is one of ours.

nitgel Sat 23-May-20 12:36:41

do you have twitter? I would tweet chris packham and see what he thinks!

YinMnBlue Sat 23-May-20 12:39:44

Oooh, yes, tweet Chris Packham!

LemonySippet Sat 23-May-20 12:45:44

I'd go for some kind of bird I think. We had rats. When we went up we could see their droppings on the insulation and where they'd dug it up and funnelled through. The things we heard were so so loud, enough to wake us up, and through the late afternoon and evening if we were upstairs. Scratching and gnawing, unmistakable. Running, so fast, almost like a ball rolling. Things dropping as they tore our boxes apart and pulled things out of them envy. Pest control came out and confirmed.

Redcrayons Sat 23-May-20 12:45:45

Demon.

You need to get those Supernatural brothers round and snog one of them.

RubyMonster Sat 23-May-20 13:18:29

It sounds like squirrels doing diy.

treesandrocks Sat 23-May-20 13:33:55

Thanks for your replies. Hoped they were bats or squirrels.

The screeching was so loud my dd ran out of her bedroom in the middle of the night. We've heard them scratching once or twice in the daytime but they are up there somewhere mostly at night. No sign of them, just noises.

It's hard to know what we're dealing with when we don't know what they are or where they are (ghosts).

Bluntness100 Sat 23-May-20 14:08:32

If you get a hard surface and drag your nails along it at sort of different times, Ie one or two fingers at a time, that’s what bats sound like. It’s defintely not them, I’ve lived with them for six years and have a big colony and hear them every night.

Rats I’ve not had, thank god (mice are another story) , but I think it’s something bigger.

Is there defintely no sign of anything, inc droppings?

YinMnBlue Sat 23-May-20 14:16:56

Squirrels do make a sort of churring noise.

But that sounds like a rhythmic Gnawing.

Wauden Sat 23-May-20 14:30:45

Ask Chris Packham! halo

ScreamingKid Sat 23-May-20 14:33:10

It sounds like a fox. But I guess that's not possible in a loft. confused

PeterPiperPumpkin Sat 23-May-20 14:53:36

It really sounds like the noise foxes make. We hear that almost every night outside.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »