Talk

Advanced search

What can your children do easily that you really struggled to learn yourself?

(42 Posts)
ContessaferJones Sat 23-May-20 11:07:27

I thought this might be an interesting idea for a thread smile

DS1 is f*ing ASTONISHING at negotiation. He is almost 9 but has been developing these skills since the age of.... well, since he began to talk in sentences. He has just come in and asked for an extra 10 minutes of video game time, which he then graciously agreed to drop to 5 min. I thought we'd held a good parental line until I realised that the extra 5 minutes was his aim all along grin it would NEVER have occurred to me to do this at his age. I'd have said 'Can I have an extra 5 min' and stropped over the inevitable no! There are many other examples but this is the one that has just happened.

Please regale me with tales from your households (yes, I'm bored).

ContessaferJones Sat 23-May-20 11:25:31

Bump

Onceuponatimethen Sat 23-May-20 11:28:51

My dd5 can write really well whereas I really really struggled to write asa child (was still having letter formation help at 12). My oldest dd is much more like me so I sit and marvel at her perfectly formed little gs and es. Totally commonplace but like a little miracle to me smile

AmyFl Sat 23-May-20 11:29:25

My DC are quite good at learning foreign languages, I'm hopeless!

BissueTox Sat 23-May-20 11:32:35

My daughter is sensible and makes considered decisions.

I have no idea where she gets that from as it's definitely not from her dad, either!

elQuintoConyo Sat 23-May-20 11:34:28

Ditto AmyFl DS is trilingual, i can barely get by in a second language. I'll be embarassing him in his teens!

He's got a very logical brain, good mental maths skills like his dad. Another area i'm hopeless in.

twostripycats Sat 23-May-20 11:35:18

Crochet!!

SnugglySnerd Sat 23-May-20 11:38:22

Maths. 6 yo dd loves maths at school and while we've been doing it at home during lock down it's obvious she can spot patterns and work out problems in her head. I always struggled with maths.

DrMadelineMaxwell Sat 23-May-20 11:41:47

Whistle

BarkandCheese Sat 23-May-20 11:42:45

Pretty much everything academic. I was diagnosed as being mildly dyslexic in 80s when I was at secondary school. I suspect if I was assessed now I’d be given an overlapping diagnosis of dyslexia, discalcula and disprayxia. I was alway being told I was clever but lazy and needed to try harder, I couldn’t explain to anyone that I found learning, especially retention of information and organisation, exceptionally hard. DDs journey through school, she’s y7 now, has been a revelation to me of how it’s meant to be as opposed to my experience. I marvel at how easily she picks things up, retains that information and builds on it. Education for her isn’t a miserable, banging your head against the wall experience.

TreacherousPissFlap Sat 23-May-20 11:43:25

Like the OP's DS, DS can charm the birds from the trees if he puts his mind to it.
He is also naturally gifted at music and taught himself to read music independently (while never actually being able to explain how he does it) - I never progressed past "please pudding hot" on the recorder grin

Pogmella Sat 23-May-20 11:45:16

Anything like yoga/aerobics/dance/gym. I always stand at the back as I get my left and rights all wrong but if she sees a dance once she just nails it- she’s 4!

DinosApple Sat 23-May-20 11:50:45

DD1 can just run.

I'm doing C25K at the moment and whilst I'm puffing and panting, and running at plodders pace, DD1 is chatting away the whole time, running ahead, coming back, picking up twigs, feathers etc to show me. She's 10.

ProperVexed Sat 23-May-20 11:51:12

Writing on their phones at speed with two thumbs. I simply can't do it...and continue to "mum text" ( as they call it) by tapping with my index finger...slowly.

SpyApp Sat 23-May-20 11:53:38

Maths

CoronaIsComing Sat 23-May-20 11:55:35

Skateboard, follow directions or remember directions from one visit to a place to another, find easier ways of doing maths problems than just writing out the calculation (this has more to do with modern tech if than him though I think).

ProseccoBubbleFantasies Sat 23-May-20 11:59:02

Enjoys school (I hated it)

Chooses and filters what information to give

High self esteem (really, really, really proud of her for that one!)

Redcrayons Sat 23-May-20 12:02:45

Maths. DS left me behind in primary school.
He just gets it.

ContessaferJones Sat 23-May-20 12:03:23

Oh yes, DS1 is astonishingly physically capable as well. Early walker, does acrobatic feats like they're nothing, great thrower/catcher etc. I'm really not!.

DS2 OTOH is more like Me 2.0 (poor lad) grin

Papergirl1968 Sat 23-May-20 12:03:35

Roller skating! I was hopeless. Ditto iceskating.

YellowPenny Sat 23-May-20 12:04:11

JUMP ON A POGO STICK!
How?!

confusednortherner Sat 23-May-20 12:07:00

Ds just picked up music sitting next to a lady at band, she taught him to read music and play Baritone literally by watching her. He's picked up drums watching a friend and is trying piano and guitar during lockdown. I'm insanely jealous as would love to play something but am completely incompetent at reading music. He also swims and is a natural breaststroker where as I was a backstroker who didn't have the coordination for breaststroke! I think his brain is wired differently as I love to read but have to battle to get him to read at all.

AvoidingTheWineAisle Sat 23-May-20 12:11:21

DD is really physically coordinated and extremely sporty. Great at athletics, football, netball etc. I was the kid who tripped over my own feet and by the end of an entire summer term of tennis at school still couldn’t even hit the ball with my racket.

DS is a tech wizard. My tech trouble shooting abilities stop at turning it off and back on again.

Bloodymary Sat 23-May-20 13:35:46

She has an amazing sense of direction, whereas I have none. When we were holidaying in one of the old villages in Spain, I thought we were lost, but no, she knew the way, she took me by the hand, we only turned 3 corners and we were home! She was 5 years old at the time!!

SnugglySnerd Sat 23-May-20 14:43:59

I've just realised another one, coping with spiders! They actually like them!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »