Talk

Advanced search

Would this bother you....and would there be any point reporting to police?

(28 Posts)
JohnnyMcGrathSaysFuckOff Fri 22-May-20 23:00:15

We live in an area that is not at all well off but very safe and quiet - pensioners, young families, some forces families - very relaxed and friendly.

Since lockdown started, I have noticed a woman around. She quite clearly has mental health issues (which I sympathise with) but her behaviour is making my hackles rise and I wonder what others would feel?

She walks in the local park, always very fast, with a big dog off the lead and muttering obscenities constantly under her breath, sometimes shouting at them. About a fortnight ago, she walked past us in the park and started going on about my children ("yeah yeah, fucking kids, I can fucking see you, keep the fuck out of my dog's way"). We were not remotely in her way, for context.

We have seen her on our daily walks a couple of times now and she has been chuntering at other people similarly.

Today, we were coming back from our walk, and as we turned onto our street, she came barrelling down the steps of the end house. We didn't have time to get out of her way. She jogged up behind us and called "I am behind you!" - well yeah - and before we had had time to do more than register her, she barged past us to her car which was parked at the kerb. She then started shouting "keep them in tighter, that's what reins are for" (our toddlers are always on reins out and about).

I know it doesn't sound like much but her tone and body language are really aggressive.

I am thinking of noting her number plate next time I see her and if she says anything that could be seen as threatening to the dc, giving 101 a ring.

I know that probably sounds bats, but she has a real nasty vibe.

Ipadipod Fri 22-May-20 23:03:01

I’m not sure about reporting it to the police, I’d just ignore her .

AllTheWhoresOfMalta Fri 22-May-20 23:06:13

I know you’ve posted this as a serious problem and I’m sorry that I don’t have any advice but OP, have you watched This Country? Is your neighbour Big Mandy?!?! grin

In all seriousness I hope someone comes along soon with something more useful to say.

JohnnyMcGrathSaysFuckOff Fri 22-May-20 23:09:27

Whores no, I haven't! Sorry grin

Yeah DH says just ignore her and that is what we have done, but it honestly feels like she is about to flip and hurt someone. I know that probably really doesn't come across well from my post, but it's just the body language and sheer venom.

HuggyBuggy Fri 22-May-20 23:09:38

I probably would report via my local police station but I live in a small town where the police know people and so would probably already have this person on their radar as vulnerable or whatever.

HuggyBuggy Fri 22-May-20 23:11:41

@AllTheWhoresOfMalta have you gone off compare the meerkats dot com?! ;-)

JohnnyMcGrathSaysFuckOff Fri 22-May-20 23:12:01

Thing is, I am fairly sure she does not live here. The house she came out of is owned by an older couple who I know well by sight. I have seen them recently so don't think they have moved. Plus she drove off so think she is visiting from somewhere.

HavenDilemma Fri 22-May-20 23:16:29

I'm sorry you've experienced this OP, and I'd stay well out of her way. However I really do not get what you're thinking of reporting her for Swearing?! Being a bit weird?!

HavenDilemma Fri 22-May-20 23:18:14

It wouldn't be classed as harassment either if you're just crossing paths and getting a few unpleasantries as you do so.

JohnnyMcGrathSaysFuckOff Fri 22-May-20 23:18:32

That's it, Haven, I don't really know. Swearing at someone's children feels threatening instinctively but maybe I am being way OTT. That is kinda why I posted.

MotheringShites Fri 22-May-20 23:21:42

I wonder if she is missing out on mental health support because of the lockdown. It doesn’t feel like it would be a police matter under normal circumstances but I would be concerned for her welfare.

DahliaDay Fri 22-May-20 23:22:26

Op reporting would be a waste of police time she has done nothing wrong

HavenDilemma Fri 22-May-20 23:23:43

@JohnnyMcGrathSaysFuckOff Oh I totally get it! If anyone swore at my daughter it would be me needing Police restraint.

If it happens again, then tell her in no uncertain terms to back off or you will report her for threatening behaviour thanks

HavenDilemma Fri 22-May-20 23:25:56

@DahliaDay Done nothing wrong? Well that's not the case at all! Swearing AT children and behaving aggressively would win anyone a warning from a police officer if it happened in front of them.

As I said above OP, if it happens again - then report

toastedcrumpetsforme Fri 22-May-20 23:34:32

Maybe report online as a non-emergency. Just for police info, I doubt they'd do anything about an individual incident but they may already be aware if her and receiving complaints from others.

JohnnyMcGrathSaysFuckOff Fri 22-May-20 23:35:44

Yes I am also worried that she needs help and is not getting it.

But honestly, primarily, she came really close to my children today, really quickly, having sworn at them before in the park, and I just had a strong reaction. A bit like when you know an animal is going to bite or a person going to hit out a moment before they do.

I am not thinking of reporting now, to be clear but just noting her licence in case she escalates.

ladycarlotta Fri 22-May-20 23:41:07

It wouldn't be remiss to call 101, even if it just helps them keep tabs on her. She may well be missing out on mental health support, and additionally a lot of patients have been discharged from section/MH wards because of the CV situation. So there are people iller than usual back in the community, and they may not be coping well.

Coffeeandbeans Fri 22-May-20 23:42:01

Sounds like a mental health issue. Not reportable you the police really.

borntohula Fri 22-May-20 23:49:55

Can you report her for having a big dog off a lead or is that ok re the law (genuine question, I don't have a dog).

greengauges Fri 22-May-20 23:52:51

Do you have a local neighbourhood watch team? That's the sort of thing they might take an interest in.

Smellbellina Sat 23-May-20 00:01:09

You can report it to 101, it’ll probably be passed onto the SNT (or equivalent) for your area. Just say she’s swearing at the children and behaving strangely and you’re concerned for her welfare.

Smellbellina Sat 23-May-20 00:02:22

I didn’t notice op saying mental health issue so not reportable to police, that’s really not true! They are one of the key safe guarding agencies.

Smellbellina Sat 23-May-20 00:02:39

*pp not op

JackiFazaki Sat 23-May-20 00:06:16

I can see why you are worried, I'd be uneasy in that situation..
You will find your local neighbourhood officers if you do a search on your police website.
Perhaps get in touch with them.
People shouting threats at children, and big dogs off leads, are not a good mix.

Molly333 Sat 23-May-20 10:02:12

I used to work in mental health looking after people in the community . Often we would get calls from the public saying that a person was demonstrating intimidating behaviours when out eg being aggressive or shouting at people . This would often be an indication for us that they needed mental health support and we would go and do that . Often without people reporting concerns we would no idea what was going on . so yes i would report this to the police immediately then they can alert the right support services and if not needed no harm done

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »