Are you out there, my lovelies?

Littlebelina Thu 21-May-20 21:47:25

Aye

RubberDinghyRapids Thu 21-May-20 21:47:39

Party!! 🥳

Mascotte Thu 21-May-20 21:47:49

Cult member reporting 😃

MagdaS Thu 21-May-20 21:47:55

I'm here. Thanks for starting the new thread, @LilacTree1.

TheAdventuresoftheWishingChair Thu 21-May-20 21:48:17

Aye!

TitianaTitsling Thu 21-May-20 21:48:52

Just also want to say fuck you wee Nippy and your bastarding blended learning- and the way it's being touted like they are being so gracious and we should be grateful for the cancellation of the increased number of childcare hours because you know... 'covid'.

NothingIsWrong Thu 21-May-20 21:49:11

I'm here. My head is so sore though and my throat aches from trying not to cry any more

Drivingdownthe101 Thu 21-May-20 21:49:19

Checking in!

TitianaTitsling Thu 21-May-20 21:49:47

Sorry for my dementoring there! Thanks lilac for new thread!

LilacTree1 Thu 21-May-20 21:50:03

Hope Nothing finds us as I hope we can make her feel better

Wondering if Nothing is England, it’s not against the rules to have the friend to your garden.

Mascotte Thu 21-May-20 21:50:24

The phrase blended learning is so fucking annoying!!!

LilacTree1 Thu 21-May-20 21:50:41

Xpost Nothing there you are

Proper hugs from me 💐

TrustTheGeneGenie Thu 21-May-20 21:51:22

I'm here. Yes. Fuck blended learning & everything it stands for.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Thu 21-May-20 21:52:03

Hello! I went to the beach today and killed thousands. Ds2 was so happy. It was wonderful. It wasn’t super crowded but were plenty of happy people. I could only conclude that anyone who has a problem with all that needs their head examined. In fact I could hardly believe anyone does have a problem with it, but....!

TheAdventuresoftheWishingChair Thu 21-May-20 21:53:32

Can anyone clever unpick this for me? My dementor friend sent it - it's evidence that in 1918, U.S states that locked down longer experienced less economic damage overall. www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8210647/Study-suggests-lockdowns-economic-damage-alternative.html#comments My friend is using it as argument for us staying in lockdown indefinitely and thinks concern about the economy is neoliberal rubbish and Boris just cares about business more than people.

I don't agree, by the way, given this virus mainly targets the elderly and frail and it's madness to have anyone healthy of working age sitting at home being unproductive but I'm not clever enough to come back with more than that. I know several people with their own businesses who stand to lose them and people who are likely going to be made redundant soon.

My first thoughts were - the economy is wildly different now what with it being a service economy. We didn't have a massive tourist/aviation industry then, etc etc. The Spanish flu killed people of working age and so the more of them that died, the more things like manufacturing were hit. It's the opposite now with this killing older people. This is nowhere near as deadly a virus with it maybe killing 0.5% of people. Anyone else have thoughts?

littlbrowndog Thu 21-May-20 21:54:30

Here 👻

MrsWombat Thu 21-May-20 21:55:27

Took the kids to the supermarket for ice cream today and personally infected dozens of Londoners.

littlbrowndog Thu 21-May-20 21:58:10

Theadventure. Am not so educated but just look them right in the eye and ask them to justify their shit

DominaShantotto Thu 21-May-20 21:58:53

Checking in! Figure school is fully closed for half term so if I can get through tomorrow the place for after half term should be safer. They can’t say a kid is vulnerable then say no too many of you you’re not (I hope)

Dowser Thu 21-May-20 22:00:22

Me too, had a lovely early evening stroll in the woods near durham and finished off with a picnic of fab Indian food in the restaurant nearby
We set up our picnic table, brought plates, knives and forKs
Food was delicious
Got home about 9 pm
Latest we’ve been out since we came home From Tenerife mid March
Going to try One with a sea location next week
Don’t normally like Indian food that much but my god, I’m going to stuff my face with it now..cos I can

iamapixie Thu 21-May-20 22:01:09

Thank you for sorting a new thread.
As a family, we have caused the second spike today as DP had to cross a border into proper dementor land and I've spoken to some neighbours less than 2m apart.
Not only that, DC has been trying to explain to children-of-dementors why they shouldn't be terrified of Covid. Not been successful as yet because the stupid stupid parents think it's acceptable to draw their children into their own terror. But I am determined that mine will not live in bloody fear (well, not of Covid anyway. Obviously I'm not suggesting running in front of speeding cars or anything)

heroku Thu 21-May-20 22:04:42

@TheAdventuresoftheWishingChair I'm confused as to why they're measuring manufacturing growth from 1914 to 1919 when the flu outbreak was late 1918. Surely you'd be better measuring growth from 1919-1924 as a marker of the effects of a lockdown on the economy?

Nihiloxica Thu 21-May-20 22:06:29

The car equivalent of what we are doing now is never leaving your home in case you get run over on the pavement.

We left "taking sensible precautions crossing the road" territory in April.

heroku Thu 21-May-20 22:06:59

@TheAdventuresoftheWishingChair but otherwise I think you're completely right that you can't compare the two when the Spanish flu was most deadly for those of working age and coronavirus most affects those over 80.

This thread is not accepting new messages.