Page 3 | Better coffee... cafetière or pod?

(85 Posts)
Surprisedtosaytheleast Thu 16-Apr-20 19:32:12

Definitely not doing beans. This is the choice cafetière or pod.

In your opinion.... which makes best coffee?

TIA!

OP’s posts: |
RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Fri 17-Apr-20 10:38:42

I'm thinking of getting an Aeropress - have heard lots of good things.

Baaaahhhhh Fri 17-Apr-20 10:38:57

As an Italian I would say, stove top always the best, but a bit of a faff, we have several sizes but never use them now. Next comes Nespresso or similar, but use their own pods which are recyclable. Cafetiere always seems too weak to me, but I do like a very strong coffee. I always have 8+ strength in Nespresso.

WhateverHappenedToBathPearls Fri 17-Apr-20 10:47:07

We love big cups of coffee so got a filter machine. It's better than either cafetiere or pods.

MulticolourMophead Fri 17-Apr-20 10:59:10

Aeropress sounds interesting, I'll have to look into that.

saraclara Fri 17-Apr-20 11:09:42

The Aeropress animation I linked seems to be for the US market, where they make something more espresso-like and then add water. Over here it's more usual to fill the whole tube with hot water and make a mug of something that's in between a filter coffee and an espresso.

ExpletiveDelighted Fri 17-Apr-20 11:51:00

The Aeropress is way, way better than a cafetiere, much tastier coffee and easier to dispose of the grounds and clean, the used pellet goes straight in the compost caddy, quick swish under the tap, job done, no grounds down the drain or in the sink.

Advertisement

MulticolourMophead Fri 17-Apr-20 11:57:04

We're getting a small compost bin, so it's good to hear the grounds can go into the compost. (Well, compost bin has been ordered, still no delivery date, though.)

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Fri 17-Apr-20 12:03:25

We put the grounds from the cafetière on the garden.

mindutopia Fri 17-Apr-20 12:54:31

Cafetière. But you do have to make it from ground coffee beans (which I supposed you could buy ground), but we have a grinder that grinds a cup or a whole pots worth of beans fresh, which is super simple. I don't particularly like aeropress as it's filtered and takes a bit like plastic.

Definitely not the pods. I've never had a worse cup of coffee and it was from one of the fancy expensive ones. Still tastes like plastic.

LittleMissnotLittleMrs Fri 17-Apr-20 13:01:17

Those of you recommending an aeropress, help! I have one collecting dust at the back of a cupboard. I find I make tar not coffee! What should I be doing? I add the same amount of coffee and water as my stove pot but I can stand my spoon in it!

PerditaProvokesEnmity Fri 17-Apr-20 13:02:35

Sounds as if your coffee is too finely ground?

LimpidPools Fri 17-Apr-20 13:14:16

LittleMissnotLittleMrs Sounds as if you're using too much coffee as well. Do you still have the scoop that came with it? Try following the instructions saraclara linked to.
That actually looks a bit weak to me (I'd probably use 2 scoops) but I do like to add freshly boiled water to espresso so I get a hotter cup of coffee.

howells Fri 17-Apr-20 13:17:34

We have cafetières of differing sizes, and a milk frother. We pour it all out quickly, after a minute or so, to get the best flavour. I’ve had pod coffee at friends’ houses, always disappointing IMO. Our grounds go in the compost.

PerditaProvokesEnmity Fri 17-Apr-20 13:19:22

Yes - too much coffee also. I don't use an aeropress but I'd imagine you need less because you're pouring water rather than forcing steam through the grounds.

FixTheBone Fri 17-Apr-20 19:03:43

The joy of the aeropress is the tunability.

You can choose the depth of the roast (1-5) on the packet, the size of the grounds, the quantity, the amount of water, and temperature, the brew time.

I use a 1 1/2 scoops of medium roast and 150 seconds brew time.

Technique:
Assemble the two cylinder parts so the bung is on 5, wet a filter and place it in the cap.
Stand the aeropress up, add the grounds and barely cover with 85 Deg water, stir and leave for 3 secs, add the rest of the water ( to taste/ strength) stir briefly and screw the cap on, express left over air, wait 120 secs. Flip and squeeze hard ( I've shattered cups before).

LifeInAHamsterWheel Fri 17-Apr-20 19:12:27

I bought my coffee-mad boss an Aeropress for Christmas, am delighted to see so much love for it here! He raves about it but I wasn't sure if he was just being polite! I think I might get one for myself now...

saraclara Fri 17-Apr-20 21:39:47

@LittleMissnotLittleMrs how much water are you putting in? I fill the tube almost up to the top, to make a mug full of coffee, rather than an espresso style drink. And it's basically similar to a filter coffee but much better. I don't understand how you're getting tar!

There are lots of YouTube videos about how to use it (though many are over the top serious, so look for the shorter ones!)

saraclara Fri 17-Apr-20 21:47:02

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlsR1eQ43Do

PhoneLock Fri 17-Apr-20 21:53:29

After trying most of the alternatives I settled on one of these.

PerditaProvokesEnmity Sat 18-Apr-20 07:15:26

Depends if you filter into your pot, or keep the coffee grounds in the bottom.

Advantages and disadvantages to either ...

Potterspotter Sat 18-Apr-20 07:20:57

Aeropress for years here too. Freshly ground, freshly roasted.

PerditaProvokesEnmity Sat 18-Apr-20 07:23:18

You roast your own beans, Potter??

envy

HeronLanyon Sat 18-Apr-20 07:25:51

Cafetière from your choice. Never ever seen anything good about pods - big ugly over designed expensive bulky unecessary. Seem to exist just to get suckers to spend money. Environmental nightmare also.
My fave is just a coffee drip filter. Small simple cheap and best (home) coffee ever.

poppym12 Sat 18-Apr-20 07:31:23

Can anyone tell me if an aeropress gives a coffee similar to a stove top pot or is it more like coffee from a cafetiere?

PerditaProvokesEnmity Sat 18-Apr-20 07:48:24

My fave is just a coffee drip filter. Small simple cheap and best (home) coffee ever.

Yup.

That plus a manual grinder equals a few moments of bliss every morning.

(Am not religious, but in times of stress I'm not above including coffee bean suppliers in my prayers ...)

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in