Talk

Advanced search

Have you ever outgrown people or ghosted them?

(7 Posts)
Fixingbrokenthings Thu 26-Mar-20 16:37:34

I feel recently that people Ive grown up with or even family members have nothing in common with me anymore or their views are totally different to mine, sometimes hurtful views. It’s me that’s changed, I know that. I see their SM posts or even if we met previously that I just don’t View the same world anymore and I don’t want to challenge it as it’s not worth the argument - so I can now understand why people ‘ghost’

I definitely did this In my mid 20s and cut a lot of people out of my life and now appears I’m going to do the same again.

Anyone else feel like this or have done this?

Blobby10 Thu 26-Mar-20 16:42:40

Its my experience that people come and go in your life - 7 years ago I was best friends with someone and could have sworn we would be BFF. She got me out of a very dark place and I will be forever grateful to her for that but she became demanding and took excessive advantage of my good nature and 'need' for her friendship. The day she came into my house effing and blinding because I had refused to look after her dog whilst she had an illicit weekend away with her lover (she was married with 2 children) was the last time I saw her.

Meltedwellie Thu 26-Mar-20 16:43:39

No, it’s a horrible and immature thing to ghost people. You can set your SM so you don’t see their posts and keep them at arms length, not be available to meet up etc. just let things naturally go distant between you. If someone has been horrible directly to you tell them why and let them know you are going to block.

Fixingbrokenthings Thu 26-Mar-20 17:28:20

It’s not worth the drama to be honest Melt in being honest. I thought ghosting was always being ‘unavailable’ confused

Circletime27 Thu 26-Mar-20 18:37:16

I’ve never ghosted anyone as such but last summer I realised that one of my closest friends had been using me since we met. It was a real lightbulb moment. I just decided to stop contacting her, funnily enough in 6 months I’ve had one text off her wishing me a happy Christmas (which I replied to). She ignored my birthday. It confirmed what I’d suspected. I just wish I’d realised sooner.

Circletime27 Thu 26-Mar-20 18:38:20

Actually, maybe she was ghosting next and that’s why the lightbulb went off!

nothingcanhurtmewithmyeyesshut Thu 26-Mar-20 19:42:08

Yes. One friend I've known years but she never matures. In her 30s now still lives at home, works part time and spends her time watching children's TV and reading kids books. Think stuff like Hey Arnold or Captain Pugwash. Still squeals and grabs your arm and giggles and fans herself when we walk past a good looking man. It was getting embarrassing. No additional needs just very immature. I do love her but I have nothing left in common with her. I feel like I'm hanging out with a teenager. She literally hasn't changed since we were 13. I've had to drift away as out relationship was starting to feel less like friends and more like I'm babysitting.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »