Talk

Advanced search

Is anyone else loving this slower pace of life?

(212 Posts)
JMAngel1 Thu 26-Mar-20 13:35:56

Just that really - silver linings anyone?
No commute, no racing around.
Easy structure to homeschooling is going well - kids are happy which is all I'm aiming for and feel like I'm teaching them good life skills too - housekeeping, baking etc
Decluttering is very cathartic for me and yesterday we made banana bread - I never get time to bake usually.
Lots of reading together and board games.
Trying to stay calm and take each day at a time.
Beautiful sunshine for our one walk a day.

amusedbush Thu 26-Mar-20 13:52:18

Yes, I could definitely get used to working from home every day! In the office there is this sense of presenteeism and competitive busyness but there's none of that with us all at home.

It has been so nice taking the dog out at lunchtime, having time to cook properly, etc.

Sittingonthefence83 Thu 26-Mar-20 13:54:51

I'm still working as a key worker but not front line and I'm loving my commute as it's taking half the time. I'm also loving no social plans because I'm a secret anti-social introvert!

JuanSheetIsPlenty Thu 26-Mar-20 13:58:56

Yes I’m really loving it. I’m taking my time getting up in the morning, enjoying lying out in the garden with with dog, not having to stress about people turning up at the house or being expected to smile and make small talk with people. I’m a complete introvert and spend most of my life wanting people to leave me alone. Now they are and I’m in heaven. Im embracing it fully because I know it is only temporary and real life will come crashing back into action before I know it.

SunnySomer Thu 26-Mar-20 13:59:32

I love it (another introvert). I’m listening to full pieces of music and reading and gardening and enjoying the sunshine and everything feels more... well wholesome and pleasurable I suppose. (To be fair there aren’t many in the household though and we have enough space not to trip over one another).

middleager Thu 26-Mar-20 14:01:26

No, it's more stressful due to increased workload and having 2 teenagers at home!

PhantomErik Thu 26-Mar-20 14:10:20

I feel bad for thinking this but yes it's lovely!

No clubs for the kids so I'm cooking lovely meals which I often just don't have time for.

I have more mental energy as I'm not constantly watching the clock for drop offs/pick ups.

Bit less washing as no sports/swimming kits to deal with.

Work the teachers are sending home is mostly fine & done without complaint.

Dc are getting on brilliantly, playing games together or doing activities in the garden like painting rocks.

Bedtime is more peaceful as we haven't got to allow for relaxing after swimming etc.

No fallings out with school friends (because they haven't seen them).

No getting in trouble at school (DS7 struggles to concentrate at school & ends up being silly & getting told off. His behaviour has always been better at home).

The garden is so quiet & peaceful with hardly any cars going past. It's never that busy around here but it's noticably quieter.

Obviously there are bits I miss like seeing my parents & going to the beach with everyone but there are definatey silver linings to all this.

Amymayapple Thu 26-Mar-20 14:11:13

No

Northernsoullover Thu 26-Mar-20 14:11:31

I'm sick of doing bloody dishes sad

HappyGoLuckyHippo Thu 26-Mar-20 14:13:47

My toddler and baby seem more settled because I'm not rushing to go anywhere. (On mat leave still as well, so no working from home.) We've spent a lot if time in the garden and playing and reading together inside. Weirdly calming!

gypsywater Thu 26-Mar-20 14:17:01

OP do you not have work as well tho?

SallyLovesCheese Thu 26-Mar-20 14:18:02

In my normal life I was feeling like I wanted to get off the merry go round. It seems like my wish was granted. I am trying to use this time wisely for my mental health.

Tiredmum100 Thu 26-Mar-20 14:18:40

I think it's harder for me personally. When I'm not in work as a nurse I'm trying to clean, tidy, make food, do the food shopping, keep kids on task with school work, trying to encourage exercise, worrying about my dad who's just come home from hospital. Dh has worked 11 days straight so he's exhausted when he is home.. we had annual leave booked which he has to cancel so he can cover child care whilst I'm working as I don't want to send the dc to school. So I wish we were all home together but it's just not happening here.

thenightfury Thu 26-Mar-20 14:19:00

I wish. Still going to work busier than ever and now have to do opposite shifts with DP for childcare so never see him! I'm a big introvert and would probably enjoy being in the house. DS is liking spending more time with his Dad though, and it's definitely made me appreciate the little things like time in the garden in the sunshine

Dozer Thu 26-Mar-20 14:19:32

Are you off work?

tiredanddangerous Thu 26-Mar-20 14:20:39

Yes! I’m more relaxed that I have been for a very long time. I’m even sleeping better.

Knocksomesense Thu 26-Mar-20 14:22:21

I'm juggling a small amount of wfh (self employed) with two preschoolers and facing financial ruin.but my usually violent, emotional, volatile, destructive and unhappy 3 year old is engaging, fun, relaxed and happy. I'm treasuring this and hope it will really help him

Babdoc Thu 26-Mar-20 14:23:06

No I’m not enjoying it. I’m a pensioner who lives alone and is currently ill with Covid 19.
My lungs feel like I’ve poured battery acid down them. It is really hard, not being able to see my adult daughters or allow anyone into the house to look after me.
I am fortunate to be in a village, and my church minister friend leaves home made lasagne on my doorstep with my daily paper, and I can contact people online, but the nights are long and scary. Even assuming I recover (I’m on day 4), I will still be in virtual solitary confinement.
I hope we get the antibody based immunity test rolled out nationwide soon - then those of us who recover, seroconvert, and show immunity could be allowed out to roam completely freely with no risk to ourselves or other people. Indeed, we would be ideal volunteer workers to help other infected patients.

Stompythedinosaur Thu 26-Mar-20 14:26:43

I'm loving the time together. But working and educating the kids is a stress.

NutFree Thu 26-Mar-20 14:28:09

Babdoc I hope you feel better soon. That sounds tough. flowers

stuckinthemiddlewithtwats Thu 26-Mar-20 14:28:55

NO! It's ruined my maternity leave, by the time this is over I'll be back to working full time having not enjoyed anything planned during my maternity leave (1 month into planned 8mths). My DP is an emergency services worker so isn't having time sat on his arse being paid not to work so we can't do much together around his shifts.

By the time it is over, the building I plan to work in will be behind schedule as it's currently being built which means I'll have to somehow commute an extra 2hrs a day back to my old office (at least 4.5hrs per day total commute) which will be impossible around paid care for my baby. Both me and the baby are still ill but can't attend appointments as they keep cancelling them due to Coronavirus safety issues. I can't wait until this is all over and life resumes as normal and I can stop stressing.

BirthdayCakes Thu 26-Mar-20 14:29:12

I'm loving it too!! I do feel bad about it but life has slowed down to the pace I'm happy with.

If we got a pass to go to the pub and listen to a band once a week it would be perfect

NutFree Thu 26-Mar-20 14:29:58

I am super stressed. I can't work and look after the kids at the same time. House is a shit tip. Kids constantly interrupting me. Trying to get them to do any type of school work is a nightmare. I have no garden and want to go out. I feel like shit

Callcentreworker23 Thu 26-Mar-20 14:31:43

From Monday me and DH are out of isolation and both back at work full time. I am dreading it.

Self isolating was hard in some ways but I've felt so safe and relaxed knowing we were locked away. Dreading having to go back and risk my child's safety so people can carry on online shopping for their essentials like trampolines and games consoles and shout to me on the phone if I can't deliver them.

Wannabegreenfingers Thu 26-Mar-20 14:32:20

Slower pace yes, home schooling and working as a single parent - no.

My children are missing so much - not just education, by not being in school, but I do understand it is more then necessary so not moaning.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »