Talk

Advanced search

Blocking smoke from next door

(4 Posts)
WinterCat Wed 25-Mar-20 15:48:48

New next door neighbours who smoke. We had no idea until they cut down some of the hedging and trees on their side of the border but now it’s very obvious. We still have a large amount of hedging along the main garden but nothing between our patios by the kitchen, which presumably is where they will sit a significant amount of the time.

This is probably much too optimistic but considering we did feel protected from it before, is there anything we can put up that might prevent it coming over? They cut down the trees to gain more sunlight so I doubt they will be too keen on us putting something up on our side that does that same but will reconsider if nothing else.

Anyone had any luck with high (6ft) trellis or similar? I’m guessing all plants will need a few years to be mature enough to do the job but will be the prettiest option long term.

VeniVidiWeeWee Wed 25-Mar-20 16:06:00

Get one of these and blow it back.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg49nRXuio4

OnlyJudyCanJudgeMe Wed 25-Mar-20 16:15:40

You can put up whatever you like on your side of the boundary.

Babdoc Wed 25-Mar-20 16:21:05

Why not have a civilised chat with the new neighbours and ask them not to smoke next to your boundary? If you think they are likely to be unreasonable, you could say you have a chest condition and need to avoid smoke completely.
I wish there were smoking streets and non smoking streets, the way some tenanted blocks of flats are organised- I detest the stink of fag smoke blowing in my windows in the summer, and it makes it impossible to sit out and enjoy one’s own garden.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »