Talk

Advanced search

A thread for plane spotters and Flightradar24 fans!

(148 Posts)
Boeing747ILOVEYOU Tue 24-Mar-20 09:31:36

Hello fellow plane spotters!

So I thought Trump had stopped flights to and from Europe but there still seem to be quite a few?

Second point.... anyone know why BA Airbus 319 GEUPD flew Heathrow to Bournemouth yesterday?

✈️😍✈️😍✈️

Elieza Tue 24-Mar-20 09:58:32

Anyone know what to search under for the antonov?

I can look up Boeing or whatever but no criteria listed to search for the ant? I’m expecting it may be out again soon if any more large medical deliveries are required like it carried out the other day.

And wtf is it with these damn adverts that don’t have a cross to shut them down. They open periodically by themselves, fair enough. But they used to have a cross in the top corner to shut them down. Now I don’t seem to be getting that. So I can’t get rid of them and when i try it takes it that i want to open the link. No I bloody don’t. Aaagggghhhh!

And last time I looked I couldn’t upgrade to a paid membership using PayPal on my mobile phone. Am I mistaken?

Elieza Wed 25-Mar-20 12:13:38

I hear it’s airborne again and I can’t work out how to find it. Noooo!

flossyflorenceflounces Wed 25-Mar-20 12:18:07

There are always oil rig helicopters on the go but there are more than I've seen before at the moment - 15-20 or so when I looked just now.

flossyflorenceflounces Wed 25-Mar-20 12:20:59

GEUPD does short flights - not usually that short but London-Edinburgh is a common domestic route for it.

woodpigeons Wed 25-Mar-20 12:26:23

Antonov is UR82060 it’s over Ukraine atm

VeraPamil Wed 25-Mar-20 12:27:05

Wednesday is a big crew change day for the rigs, that’s why there’s so many around

willowpatterns Wed 25-Mar-20 12:27:24

There are fewer to look at, but it does make it more interesting. I saw one a couple of days ago that had flown from some random distant part of Russia to Luton and I want to know why!

Elieza Wed 25-Mar-20 13:08:41

Thanks @woodpigeons I see it.
It’s weird that I can’t put in the search criterion as a filter though.

Anyone know why some planes are showing up blue?

boeing747ILOVEYOU Wed 25-Mar-20 13:36:26

There seems to be quite a procession of BA smaller airbuses from LHR to Bournemouth. I wonder if they're being parked there for now? Maybe not enough space at Heathrow?

powkin Wed 25-Mar-20 13:46:14

Cannot believe there are other people on mumsnet that enjoy flightradar24 - it feels like a very niche persuit! I mainly like seeing what is flying over my house (I used to live under 2 flight paths (LHR and City) plus loads of helicopters etc and found it was a good way to cope with the annoyance. We moved to a quieter area (partly due to the air traffic!) but still under LHR a few days a week, albeit at a higher altitude.

Definitely fun seeing what is still up in the air at the moment!

MulticolourMophead Wed 25-Mar-20 13:46:38

The blue planes are a new thing, showing planes which are being tracked by other means, I think by satellite.

Have also seen a plane up near Cambridge labelled CAA examiners. Wonder what that's about?

flossyflorenceflounces Wed 25-Mar-20 13:53:18

The CAA Examiners are, broadly speaking, driving test examiners of the flight world but I wouldn't have thought they were doing tests at the moment. Maybe they are keeping their flying hours up whilst they can't do tests.

SillyBub Wed 25-Mar-20 13:56:53

Hello fellow plane geeks ✈️ 🤓

Second point.... anyone know why BA Airbus 319 GEUPD flew Heathrow to Bournemouth yesterday?

This is my local airport. We have lots of BA and Virgin planes parked up here now. Bournemouth's never had so many planes!

playthestation Wed 25-Mar-20 13:59:29

GEUPD does short flights - not usually that short but London-Edinburgh is a common domestic route for it.

They are at Bournemouth for storage. Lots at Cardiff and Glasgow too.

powkin Wed 25-Mar-20 14:01:17

@SillyBub I'm from Poole originally and my nan used to live super close to the airport so HELLO.

You can see why the US is about to become the epicentre of the coronavirus with all those flights in the air!

Boeing747ILOVEYOU Wed 25-Mar-20 15:12:23

@sillybub ah thanks. How exciting to have all those planes there.

I'm really missing the interesting circling patterns over Heathrow at the moment.

Blobby10 Wed 25-Mar-20 16:16:46

I have found my people!! grin

Has anyone else seen the balloon things near South America? Apparently they are to give remote areas a wifi signal and float at around 50000 feet so above aircraft 🤓

Therebythedoor Wed 25-Mar-20 21:22:28

I used to love Flightradar! This is my favourite screenshot 🙂

SillyBub Wed 25-Mar-20 21:29:31

@Blobby10 they're a long way up!

MysteryFrog Wed 25-Mar-20 21:32:56

@Blobby10 I’d been wondering what those are! I re-downloaded the app a few days ago while a very loud plane was going over our house (RAF it turned out). Can’t remember why I ever deleted it!

CaurnieBred Wed 25-Mar-20 21:50:49

I started following Loon on LinkedIn after spotting the balloons on Flight Radar and googling to see what they were. Fabulous idea.

AllTheCakes Wed 25-Mar-20 21:56:06

I hadn’t realised how many cargo flights there were. Easier to see them now there are less aircraft.

CaurnieBred Wed 25-Mar-20 22:00:01

Cargo plane street cargo plane. Such a change

Ursaminor Wed 25-Mar-20 22:01:56

Can see all the cargo flights much clearer than usual, as they are almost the only big planes still up there.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »