Talk

Advanced search

Chromebook recommendations

(11 Posts)
Seventyone72seventy3 Fri 20-Mar-20 15:00:41

Help! We are not a very techy household but now DH and I are both teaching from home. I use the family PC, he has one from work. We have three kids who are also having video lessons and we don't have enough devices. I was thinking of getting a (cheap?!) laptop - would a chromebook be suitable and could anyone recommend one? Thanks.

MrsPear Fri 20-Mar-20 18:06:01

We have just got this for school work and looks good spin311

Seventyone72seventy3 Thu 26-Mar-20 11:30:38

Thanks. Any others?

AintNobodyHereButUsKittens Thu 26-Mar-20 11:36:41

My DC have basic HP Chromebooks. Chromebooks are very suitable for most schoolwork, especially if their school uses Google Classroom, and they’re all pretty much the same apart from size and whether they have touchscreen functionality.

Seventyone72seventy3 Thu 26-Mar-20 12:04:32

Thanks.

francienolan Thu 26-Mar-20 23:06:52

We have a little Acer I think. It's great if you don't want any apps or anything on it. We use it for g suite, browsing the internet, and occasional Netflix/YouTube watching when just one person wants to watch something in a room without a tv. Love how fast and compact it is, and easy to use.

help1653 Thu 26-Mar-20 23:10:38

We have a little Acer one, got it from Amazon warehouse. Great for the kids.

StillMedusa Fri 27-Mar-20 00:00:14

Asus c302... it's brilliant! I'm on my second due to dh accidentally tipping a whole bottle of wine over the first one, and I love it. Had an macbook before but the Asus does things just as well, the track pad is great, the touch screen and ability to fold it over into a tablet is useful and it is just nice to work on.

MrFaceyRomford Fri 27-Mar-20 00:51:57

Chromebooks are OK if you only want to do the basics (I'm using one at the moment), but the list of apps and features that either will not run on them of which can only be run with a lot of faffing about is a long one. Don't expect the full versatility of a laptop/PC. They are cheap for a reason.

Seventyone72seventy3 Fri 27-Mar-20 18:16:16

Thanks.

Housewife2010 Fri 27-Mar-20 18:36:09

I am on my second Chromebook and really recommend them. They are so much lighter and quicker to use than a laptop. There is no onerous waiting for the software to update if you haven't been on it for a while.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »