Talk

Advanced search

Corona virus, urgent question - what would you do right this minute?

(23 Posts)
NarniaBanarnia Thu 27-Feb-20 10:52:59

DH has just called. Friend of his from Northen Italy (NOT the specific towns but not far away) who he met up with last week has just let him know he had a fever yday (38.5!) and having called 111 is being tested later today. (He has no fever today, he says)

Is it a) overkill, or b) entirely sensible, for me to call DD's school and if necc be ready to go and take her out of school until we know the result of the test?

Obviously she's been at school since Monday potentially infecting people since DH met this guy last week. She has been in there all morning so far etc. But now that I know about this upcoming test, what should I do? Results might not be in until very late today. We have a playdate scheduled for after school!

What would you all do?

I'm trying to be responsible and sensible, not scare-mongering and panic-stricken.

SpeedofaSloth Thu 27-Feb-20 10:54:40

Overkill.

You could talk it over with NHS 111 yourself if you are really worried, though.

Parker231 Thu 27-Feb-20 10:55:03

I would leave her at school and follow NHS advice.

Solasum Thu 27-Feb-20 10:55:23

I think until the test result comes back, there is no point doing anything. As DD has already been to school, coming home now won’t help at all.

NarniaBanarnia Thu 27-Feb-20 10:55:26

Sorry, to be clear - friend flew in from Northern Italy late last week. Is here in UK now (lives here for work)

AnchorDownDeepBreath Thu 27-Feb-20 10:56:22

I believe 111 are handling this kinda thing, so you could call for advice..

Is DH at work? Is he staying?

I think if you called the school, they'd probably want you to collect your daughter... I think I'd probably collect her just incase.

NarniaBanarnia Thu 27-Feb-20 10:56:48

Thx everyone - that's my gut reaction - if it's actually Corona virus she's infected most of her class since Monday anyway.

I'm sure it's just a seasonal flu but I'm just trying to think worst case scenario so I can be ready if I need to go and get her - not going to be easy to get out of work!

Fingers crossed we hear about the test soon and it's clear.

Parker231 Thu 27-Feb-20 10:56:56

NHS advice - The symptoms of coronavirus are:

a cough
a high temperature
shortness of breath
But these symptoms do not necessarily mean you have the illness.

The symptoms are similar to other illnesses that are much more common, such as cold and flu.

Urgent advice:

Call 111 now if you've been:

to Hubei province in China in the last 14 days

to Iran, areas of northern Italy in lockdown or "special care zone" areas in South Korea since 19 February

to other parts of mainland China or South Korea, Thailand, Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia or Macau in the last 14 days and have a cough, high temperature or shortness of breath

to other parts of northern Italy (anywhere north of Pisa, Florence and Rimini), Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos or Myanmar since 19 February and have a cough, high temperature or shortness of breath
in close contact with someone with confirmed coronavirus

Do not go to a GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital. Call 111, stay indoors and avoid close contact with other people.

NarniaBanarnia Thu 27-Feb-20 10:57:27

I will call 111 whne I get a break in a few minutes, good advice, thank you everyone.

HotPenguin Thu 27-Feb-20 10:57:34

You should probably refer to the public health England advice, which says your DH friend should self isolate but others he has been in contact with don't need to.

Life has to go on, I would only change plans if you know there is someone immunosuppressed in the family she is visiting. She's already been at school for some days so a few more hours until you find out the result doesn't make much difference.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Thu 27-Feb-20 10:57:35

Sorry, to be clear - friend flew in from Northern Italy late last week. Is here in UK now (lives here for work)

Oh okay. Then I'd probably talk to 111 but leave her at school unless the NHS advise otherwise.

Skierrdery Thu 27-Feb-20 10:58:28

This is precisely how it will spread. People telling you it's overkill to isolate her.
Meh, what do you think OP?

HotPenguin Thu 27-Feb-20 10:58:30

Sorry cross posted with lots of others!

CormoranStrike Thu 27-Feb-20 10:58:44

I think it is perhaps overkill to take a child out of school just because her dad met up with someone who is now being tested - but 111 can give advice.

RocketFire Thu 27-Feb-20 11:00:56

so she's not actually been in contact with anyone affected....neither has you dh?

coconuttelegraph Thu 27-Feb-20 11:01:32

I would wait and see, it's not like every person who comes into contact with an infected person will contract it never mind people further down the chain. I'd assess the risk as tiny, no need to cause untold disruption to the whole school.

NarniaBanarnia Thu 27-Feb-20 11:06:49

rocketfire - we don't know until the test result later - DH has been in contact with somone who is being tested, that's all so far.

111 advice (I called just now, very quick service!!) was to carry on as normal, leave DD in school etc, and if the test result comes back positive obvioulsy that changes things.

Thank you everyone

coconuttelegraph Thu 27-Feb-20 11:10:29

Good to hear that 111 are taking a sensible approach

hopeishere Thu 27-Feb-20 11:14:23

Overkill.

You don't know he has it (unlikely he has)
You don't know he's infected your DH - was he coughing and sneezing on him?
You don't know your daughter has been infected.

SpeedofaSloth Thu 27-Feb-20 11:37:35

I'm glad 111 were helpful, OP flowers

Skierrdery Thu 27-Feb-20 12:33:39

Latest news is that Prince George and Princess Charlotte's school have had pupils self isolating due to trips abroad. I wonder what Kate will do?

news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-george-and-charlottes-school-latest-to-have-pupils-self-isolate-11944124?fbclid=IwAR3tyWMb-EQe0CcQaftrE1wac4xb8ppmHWRu4kDwDy_X1HmX3gjneyV4WN0

Skierrdery Thu 27-Feb-20 12:40:06

I imagine the pressure on Kate with a future King on her hands is a little more than us mere commoners. It will be interesting to see how little Prince George's parents react. Keep calm and carry on I'm guessing.

Skierrdery Thu 27-Feb-20 12:42:26

I would say the school are following the self isolation to the letter though and that no contact has been had in the infected area of Italy presumably, or the school would be on lockdown.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »