Talk

Advanced search

Threading a roman blind - heyulp!

(14 Posts)
ChicChicChicChiclana Fri 14-Feb-20 20:22:49

Honestly, I have googled and none of the videos on YouTube are helping me.

I need to re-thread and existing roman blind. It only has 2 rows of eyelets (one on each side of the wooden poles). Can anyone point me in the direction of an online guide I can actually understand?

The big issue is measuring the amount of cord needed. And does all the cord go across the top (on the rear of the blind)?

I don't Pinterest, sorry. I boycott that website.

Tia in advance for any other pointers.

ChicChicChicChiclana Fri 14-Feb-20 20:39:38

desperate bump?

grin

Knittedfairies Fri 14-Feb-20 20:41:43

Is this any help? It's one of those jobs much easier to do than describe.

springydaff Fri 14-Feb-20 20:46:48

Top down/bottom up? Never heard of it! I can't even work out how it would work! I've threaded many a blind like this over the years and I've never heard of top down..

I'm thinking of drawing a diagram. Hang on..

Trumpton Fri 14-Feb-20 21:30:31

One string either side of blind . Take one of the strings Across the top to meet the other and let them dangle down side ( left or right ) of blind .

My blinds attach with Velcro to window frame .
Lower blind and trim strings to desired length making sure that all strings go through eyelets on frame.

springydaff Fri 14-Feb-20 21:32:04

OK, I've worked out the top down/bottom up! weird name for it though!

My diagram is similar to the link re:
- Tie the cord to the bottom ring and thread vertically through the rings to the top
- thread through the screw-in hoop at the top.. then thread horizontally through the next hoop to the right... then horizontally to the right to the last hoop from which the cord will hang down for opening and closing (make sure the cords are long enough so you can reach it when the blind is closed)
- Repeat as above with the second row of rings
- both cords the same length when the blind is closed. Thread cords through light/blind pull and tie in a knot, sliding light/blind pull down over the knot.

As a rule of thumb, depending on how many cords you use (my blinds have 3 cords), the amount of cord to buy is approx :
- (height of blind/window X 2) + (window/blind width X 1) for each cord

Hope that makes sense confused

Trumpton Fri 14-Feb-20 21:32:41

If you follow the previous link it’s the yellow strings . Ignore the other colour strings .

springydaff Fri 14-Feb-20 21:34:14

Screw-in hoops

Trumpton Fri 14-Feb-20 21:34:45

@springydaff
Oh that’s better than my description. I am in bed and cba to get up and find pencil and paper .

springydaff Fri 14-Feb-20 21:36:11

You're going to have to wind the cords around a cleat fixed to the wall to hold the blind open

springydaff Fri 14-Feb-20 21:46:54

The (sticky) velcro is how the blind is attached to the wall re
- One half is stuck to a piece of wood the width of the window (to which the 3 hoops are screwed in facing downwards). I also staple gun around the edges to make sure its secure
- the other half is stuck, or stitched, to the blind top/heading.
- once all the threading is done you press the velcroed bits together

The perspective of my diagram isn't good but I hope you understand what I mean.

Failing all that, go to a blind shop/John Lewis and see how they do it.

Good luck what a romantic evening I am having

ChicChicChicChiclana Sat 15-Feb-20 14:30:54

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

We got the blind done and fixed up at the window by midnight grin .

The descriptions on this thread were a whole lot more helpful than Google flowers .

Trumpton Sat 15-Feb-20 15:06:09

Oh brilliant !

springydaff Sat 15-Feb-20 15:21:06

Bravo 💐

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »