Talk

Advanced search

Can you do spinning / studio cycle if you are really unfit?

(17 Posts)
ChristieCarmichael Fri 14-Feb-20 20:07:16

I want to start some exercise, the class I’m looking at says you can go at your own pace but is it something you have to build up to?

I’m not overweight and no health problems etc. Just worried I might have a heart attack! Or be the only one dying.

GoBackToPartyCity Fri 14-Feb-20 20:08:33

You’ll be fine. There’s an 70-odd year old woman who goes to mine and she just tootles along at her own pace.

ChristieCarmichael Fri 14-Feb-20 20:29:32

She sounds great! smile

TheWordmeister Fri 14-Feb-20 20:33:03

Ditto - I know a member who must be 80. She tootles along at her own pace.

Sherloidbaisherloid Fri 14-Feb-20 22:24:36

You control the resistance on your bike so you can go at your own level and adjust accordingly. It’s amazing how quickly you get better if you go regularly! Your arse will be sore from the saddle the first few times but after a while won’t be sore at all

Toomuchgoingon Fri 14-Feb-20 22:27:24

I'm very overweight and getting on a bit but do spin every week. I really enjoy it. There is always someone who will be really going for it but the rest of us just get on with it. I really enjoy it although my legs are still paying the price of my class on Wednesday....

3kidsareenough Fri 14-Feb-20 22:37:07

I've tried lots of exercise classes in the last few years just to find something I actually like and spinning is the one I've stuck with and dare I say it I actually enjoy it. The class I do (early morning) has all different levels of fitness people. I find that no one is actually paying any attention to what anyone else is doing as we're all just getting through it. I definitely find my own fitness levels has improved since starting the classes. I started doing one class a week (a few years ago) and now do 3/4 classes a week. Give it a try OP, go at your own pace (I usually try to stick to the pace of the music they play!) and enjoy it. Let us know how you get on

amusedbush Fri 14-Feb-20 22:41:49

I’m overweight and I love spin. You can definitely go at your own pace and you don’t have to put the resistance up as much as the instructor says if you’re struggling. It’s amazing how quickly your stamina builds up though.

I agree with pp that your arse cheeks will be sore afterwards! The first class isn’t too bad but the next time when you get back in the saddle and sit down on the bruises will be fun grin

Toddlerteaplease Fri 14-Feb-20 22:47:18

I've booked a hydro spin class on Monday. I've never done normal spinning. So wish me luck!

ChristieCarmichael Sat 15-Feb-20 10:02:36

Good luck toddlertea! I like the sound of that.

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement!

MorrisZapp Sat 15-Feb-20 10:06:12

Good luck, prepare to get addicted! Be careful though, don't be tempted to push too much the first time. A friend of mine was hospitalised after a spinning class caused lactic acid buildup and muscle swelling. He had to have muscle tissue surgically removed. I've seen this on 24 Hours in A and E too.

megletthesecond Sat 15-Feb-20 10:07:05

Yes, especially if you do a short 30 min class. Just go slower than you think and don't touch the resistance knob for the first couple of classes at least. And make sure you tell the teacher you'll be taking it easy until you're feeling more confident.

squee123 Sat 15-Feb-20 10:07:16

As long as you don't book one of the crazy classes that some posh gyms have where everyone virtually races on a big screen and can see each other's stats it is perfect for all levels of fitness. You can merrily ignore the instructor telling you to up the resistance if it all gets too much and just do your own thing. Plus I like the fact I'm sitting down a lot

mindutopia Sat 15-Feb-20 10:21:25

Yes, just pace yourself. You only have to make it as intense as you want. I’m asthmatic and overweight and spinning is my favourite exercise.

ChristieCarmichael Sat 15-Feb-20 10:40:43

shock Morris wow I will definitely take that advice!

PlumpAndPlain Sat 15-Feb-20 11:40:35

I am unfit and overweight and did my first spin class a few weeks ago. I found the standing up bits very hard on my knees but generally found it ok. However, for the following 6(!) days, I was in so much pain in my legs so definitely take it easy!

ChristieCarmichael Sat 15-Feb-20 15:49:33

I don’t it’s a super fancy place so I think I will be ok dying panting away at the back.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »