Talk

Advanced search

Interview with NHS, HELP!!!!

(13 Posts)
laylayxo Fri 14-Feb-20 19:13:32

Firstly is the references do the recruitment team contact referees via email or phone call or both?

Secondly it’s a Theatre support worker job and I don’t have any experience in the care side so I feel like I’ll be at a disadvantage from all the other candidates and I’m doubting myself as to what I can bring to the interview now as I’ve only worked one retail job in the past..

Thirdly its a panel interview and I hate them so much. As soon as I enter the room my mind goes blank And I stutter any tips on how to overcome this..

Lastly how do I ace this interview as I really want and need this job! 😀

Emma9876 Fri 14-Feb-20 19:20:48

I don't work in this area but work for the nhs! Our hospital has to ask questions about the trusts values and behaviours which are normally attached when applying for the job! They will probably ask why you want the job, what skills you have that are needed in the job! Good luck!

laylayxo Fri 14-Feb-20 19:21:39

Thankyou x

user1019273703 Fri 14-Feb-20 19:23:26

In my recent interview (admin job) one thing was have you done any research for the job. Look on the trust website and get an idea of their values, policies etc and see if there is any information regarding department you are applying for.

Good luck!

BabbleBee Fri 14-Feb-20 19:23:47

My NHS interviews have always been value based. Questions such as what would you do if... Tell me about a time when...

BabbleBee Fri 14-Feb-20 19:24:03

Oh and look up Patient First.

morrisseysquif Fri 14-Feb-20 19:26:13

Think of lots of examples where you have used your skills, practice them,

Bring your notes in with you as an aide memoire, its not exam, they have their notes so you can too!

Have some questions, ask about training and progression

Good luck!

VenusStarr Fri 14-Feb-20 19:39:40

You may get a scenario question, agree about the Trust values, perhaps a question on working as part of a team. Have a look at the person specification and think of times when you have demonstrated some of the essentials. Think about your key skills and try and weave those into your answers ie: organisational skills, communication, thinking on your feet etc.

With regards to references, most likely will be email.

Good luck - you've been shortlisted, so they feel you meet the criteria. Think about what you'll bring to the role. Definitely ask a question at the end smile

Flippidyflap Fri 14-Feb-20 20:09:28

I don’t work in theatres but am a surgical nurse. The health care support workers in our hospital collect patients from the ward with a theatre nurse so it would be worth thinking about how you will support patients who may be nervous before their operation. Also, have a look at the WHO theatre checklist. I don’t know what your role would be in theatres itself but an awareness of what this is and why it is used would be really beneficial as you will be able to demonstrate an understanding of the importance of human factors, teamwork and the equality of all team members.

Try not to be overwhelmed by panel interviews. We always interview as a panel and it just means that each person will ask you a couple of questions each. Just look at the person asking you the question when you give your answer. Ask about what training is available to you if you are successful. Hopefully they’ll offer you a mentor but if not, ask for one so that you have a named person you can go to.

Congratulations on being shortlisted. I don’t shortlist anyone I don’t want to meet and interview in person and neither so any of my colleagues. Good luck!

Soberfutures Fri 14-Feb-20 20:30:11

I used to be a theatre assistant and its an amazing but hard role. We did various jobs such as patient portering. Gowning up surgeons following sterile protocol. Opening up sterile packs. Helping with patient positioning on the operating table. Paperwork with the Who checklist. ORMIS computer input which adds times of the operation and other patient details. Cleaning the theatre post op and setting up medical equipment. Also stores ordering and stock availability.

I would suggest explaining why u feel the role is important. How u can work well in a team of multidisciplinary people. Can think on your feet and be adaptable. Can prioritise work loads as often u will be asked to do multiple jobs at once. Can u deal with blood and body parts. Think holding a bag for a surgeon to place an amputated leg. Do u feelable to cope with distressed patients. Old people with dementia but have to have a hip replacement. Parents upset watching there child have an anaesthetic.

He able to talk about the importance of sterile environment and how you would practice this. How would you feel about raising concerns about patient safety. Talk about confidentiality and patient data.

Do u understand the role of an ODP. Have u thought what skills u already have that can be used.

I'm trying to think of anything else but if u have questions just ask

TravellingSpoon Fri 14-Feb-20 22:23:30

In the past i have worked in NHS recruitment and references were always contacted by email, and would be done at the same time as sending out your conditional offer.

Toddlerteaplease Fri 14-Feb-20 22:49:31

Find out if your hospital is going for 'magnet' status or pathway to excellence.

RedRedBluee Sat 15-Feb-20 05:30:29

I work for the nhs, different area though.
Make sure you look up the values of the trust and memorise them and think about what they mean to you because I’ve been asked that in every interview.
Give answers from your own experience not “internet answers”.
Make sure you thoroughly read the job description and think of questions they might ask about all aspects of the job.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »