Talk

Advanced search

Do I need a Roomba in my life?

(59 Posts)
inwood Fri 14-Feb-20 10:14:08

Just that really, don't have a huge house but have a dog and new carpet that has a pretty thick pile. Dog leaves dents in the pile that make it look dirty so I'm forever getting the hoover out and it's a PITA.

I'm envisaging just setting the roomba off to deal with it and letting it get on with it!

Would want it to be able to cope with the kitchen / hall hardwood floor too.

Or do I need a cordless hoover - Dyson or similar instead?

Please help!

ElektraPlektra Fri 14-Feb-20 10:39:32

I have a Roomba and love it, it works well on my carpet and on the wood floors. However, I doubt it would get a deep dent out of a thick carpet. Its suction is less than a standard hoover.

Redlocks28 Fri 14-Feb-20 10:43:42

We have a Eufy and love it. We don’t have a dog though.

Lettherebelight Fri 14-Feb-20 17:14:36

I'd also love to hear whether people who have got these still think they are worthwhile!

SchoolMedia Fri 14-Feb-20 17:20:53

Yes. I have one on every floor in my house (tall!) and we now a) don’t leave things all over the floor b) have perfectly vacuumed cream carpets with 2 black cats. I’d replace instantly if one of them broke and wish someone would invent a similar machine to sort the ironing out!

didireallysaythat Fri 14-Feb-20 17:29:50

Yes

Yes

Yes

LaurieSchafferIsAllBitterNow Fri 14-Feb-20 17:30:31

I just remember the tale of the Mnetter who had a roomba and a dog

the dog had an unfortunate accident

The Mnetter came home to her entire downstairs floor smothered in dogshite

99problemsandthecatis1 Fri 14-Feb-20 18:55:06

No, you don't need a roomba. You needs a eufy! Best purchase ever.

AlCalavicci Fri 14-Feb-20 19:03:50

I see second @99
I have a Eufy he is great even though he is only a basic model ( s11)
Search robo / robotic vacs threads on here I am on a lot of them singing Buzz's praises ( you do know it MN law to name them don't you )

AlCalavicci Fri 14-Feb-20 19:06:02

Oh i dont have a dog but i do have a cat thst has a master class degree in teacking his litter hmm

MountainPeakGeek Fri 14-Feb-20 19:17:34

From my experience they work best if you have hard flooring and/or low pile carpets and any pets you have are short haired.

We had one (Roomba) about 6 or 7 years ago (so it's likely that they've improved since then) and it really didn't like the hair from our long haired dog (and myself!) The brushes rapidly got clogged with those hairs but were okay with the short/wiry hair from our JRT and with the softer but still short hairs of our two cats.

If you didn't run it often enough it had no hope of picking up hair from carpet, once it had lodged into the pile a bit, instead of only sitting on top.

I'm not interested in getting another now, even though our long haired dog has since passed away.

historygeek Fri 14-Feb-20 19:43:51

I got a Eufy for Christmas and it has changed my life! Our carpets look like new (albeit slightly stained from the combination of a 3YO and a dog). I hoovered my bedroom from the Lake District!

EnidButton Fri 14-Feb-20 19:54:57

I hoovered my bedroom from the Lake District!

grin The future is amazing.

AlCalavicci Fri 14-Feb-20 20:01:41

@historygeek i live in the northwest and I did mine from Slough !
I only have a short like carpet and short haired things living in my house

EnidButton Fri 14-Feb-20 20:09:46

I'm still getting over being able to turn my lights on before I get home. I'd need to breathe into a paper bag if I could do the vacuuming whilst out too.

INeedToGetHealthy Fri 14-Feb-20 20:25:05

We had a Roomba but after getting black carpet put in our new house, we discovered that the Roomba can't work on them due to the "cliff sensors" to stop it falling down stairs.

AlCalavicci Fri 14-Feb-20 20:26:44

Coming home to a cat litter free carpet is soooo nice .
But if I came home and the lights were on I think I'd have a heart attack !

Cuddling57 Fri 14-Feb-20 20:35:43

No, I sent mine back.
Didn't pick everything up and didn't cover every bit of the carpet!

LizB62A Fri 14-Feb-20 20:37:33

Ooh, I was going to ask how they deal with cat litter as my two are always tracking litter through the house.
Sounds like they deal well with cat litter - I think I might treat myself to one !!

AlCalavicci Fri 14-Feb-20 20:42:50

Yeah they deal with cat litter fine and soap powder after I dropped the box ! I scooped up to reuse as much as I could then called Buzz over and fed it to him grin

AlCalavicci Fri 14-Feb-20 20:49:19

To give you some perspective I have a long through lounge + kitchen probably a total of about 32 foot long and 15 ft wide and it takes buzz about 70 / 80 mins to clean but he does work in a rather haphazard patten .

fastliving Fri 14-Feb-20 20:51:22

I so want one of these (ignoring the fact there are many long haired people in my household) but can it cope with fringed rugs?
I have mostly hardwood floors but they are littered with rugs - have I boxed myself out of the possibly of a roomba?

Astella22 Fri 14-Feb-20 20:53:36

I second the Eufy and I’ve a dog, I love it. One of those products that’s a game changer

sweetkitty Fri 14-Feb-20 20:56:41

Could it cope with 3 cats and a dog (very short haired) and 4 children? How is it at getting the dust bunnies that accumulate in the hard wood floors. And i suppose you still have to do the stairs yourself (I hate doing the stairs)?

BlueJava Fri 14-Feb-20 20:59:12

I love my Roomba! We don't have a dog though! But we keep everything pretty tidy and I can just set it going to do each floor (town house). I love the thing!! I call it Roomi and talk to it!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »