Talk

Advanced search

Penicillin - itchy as

(21 Posts)
nothingcanhurtmewithmyeyesshut Sat 15-Feb-20 17:13:40

If theres any sign of a reaction they won't prescribe you it again. Penicillin allergies can be life threatening and the reaction can get worse every time.

icantstop Fri 14-Feb-20 21:37:11

Not sure why I double posted. Sorry.

Drs said he was wary about it being an allergic reaction as I've been fine with it before. This new one is awful. I'd really rather take the itching. I don't know whether I can just swap back?

icantstop Fri 14-Feb-20 21:35:17

I was swapped over to clarithromycin. Now I'm so so sick. I'd take the itching over vomiting.

I don't know what to do!

nothingcanhurtmewithmyeyesshut Fri 14-Feb-20 20:51:13

Clarithromycin is vicious, I hate it but if you react to penicillin there's not much choice.

MadamFlutterby Fri 14-Feb-20 20:24:42

itching = allergic reaction

i had this with flucoxacillin. had to switch and was on after that. akways mention it at the docs when I need anti bs

Belfastbird Fri 14-Feb-20 20:22:54

I had this then the hives followed - allergic reaction

icantstop Fri 14-Feb-20 20:20:00

I was swapped over to clarithromycin. Now I'm so so sick. I'd take the itching over vomiting.

I don't know what to do!

sojo44 Fri 14-Feb-20 07:56:59

I'm allergic to amoxicillin (type of penicillin). You could literally see the rash "grow" up my back within minutes of taking them. Luckily was at the docs waiting room at the time so never found out what the full reaction was.

Stop taking the pills and go to the docs and speak to your GP.

Especially if the rash is around you neck and chest (any allergy swelling could restrict breathing etc.)

dontgobaconmyheart Fri 14-Feb-20 07:24:25

I'd stop taking it until you've spoken to a GP, they'll probably swap it for a different antibiotic as it sounds like a reaction.

Ohffs66 Fri 14-Feb-20 07:23:26

I'm allergic to penicillin. My itchy areas are knuckles, elbows, ankles, face / behind ears / under chin / chest You might develop a rash, I usually itch for a while before the hives start. Might be best to contact the doctor, I think they can give you another antibiotic (from memory possibly amoxicillin)

icantstop Fri 14-Feb-20 07:20:39

I bloody hope not @MountainPeakGeek

The person I live with has been on his deathbed all last week with a sore throat and fever and my tonsils are covered in white blobs! Lovely stuff 😊

MountainPeakGeek Fri 14-Feb-20 07:19:13

X-posted. I see you don't have a rash, so ignore me 😃

MountainPeakGeek Fri 14-Feb-20 07:18:12

Is it possible that you have glandular fever and not tonsillitis? Penicillin can often cause a severe rash when it's given to patients with glandular fever. I had it happen to me and as a result I thought I was allergic to penicillin for about 20 years, until my current doctor told me about this possibility. I've had penicillin based antibiotics since and didn't react at all.

icantstop Fri 14-Feb-20 07:18:08

Okay I will give them a bell. Roll on 8am!

Whoopsmahoot Fri 14-Feb-20 07:16:35

Doesn’t matter- it’s a definite reaction to taking the meds- call the docs.

msmith501 Fri 14-Feb-20 07:15:52

Doesn't have to be a rash for an allergic reaction

icantstop Fri 14-Feb-20 07:13:49

There's no rash. I've googled it... just very itchy.

Submariner Fri 14-Feb-20 07:13:12

Call the Dr. My son had this, he's allergic to penicillin and had to stop taking them immediately. I think we called 111 and they advised.

BritInUS1 Fri 14-Feb-20 07:10:45

Call the doctors sounds like an allergic reaction

Throwaway2468 Fri 14-Feb-20 07:10:41

I’d say call the doctor for sure , to be on the safe side

icantstop Fri 14-Feb-20 07:09:35

I've got tonsillitis and started Penicillin yesterday. I've had it once before. Can't remember any side effects.

I cannot stop bloody itching, mostly around my face, neck and chest. It's also making me feel a bit sick.

Is this normalish or shall I call the doctors? I feel horrendous and just want to feel better, so will stick it out with them if it's not a serious issue.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »