Talk

Advanced search

Do You drop litter?

(85 Posts)
vikkimoog Thu 13-Feb-20 16:41:21

Judging by the vast amount of litter everywhere, there must be a fair few people in every walk of life who drop litter.
So, if you do, could you tell me why as I am genuinely puzzled as to why anybody would do this?
prompted by seeing a massive pile of empty bottles/ wrappers at a traffic lights where motorists have obviously lobbed stuff out the window

TulipCat Thu 13-Feb-20 16:43:00

The answer is because they are lazy anti-social bastards.

Abraid2 Thu 13-Feb-20 16:43:17

As I walked back with my dog, clutching three empty cans and two empty plastic bottles, I was wondering the same things. Why do you do it and who, in isolated rural village lanes, do you think clears it up (apart from us villagers)? Do you think we have road sweepers out here?

Abraid2 Thu 13-Feb-20 16:44:10

And why do you think anyone would want to clear up your baby's soiled nappy and wipes? This was a lovely recent discovery in our beautiful lane. It happens surprisingly often.

LochJessMonster Thu 13-Feb-20 16:45:28

People dropping cigarette butts in my pet peeve. Either in the street or throwing them out of the car.
You wouldn't just drop them on the floor in your house so don't be so fucking lazy.

mummumumumumumumumumum Thu 13-Feb-20 16:45:39

no because i am not a selfish arsehole. I do think it has gotten worse since the recycling buckets etc have been used, especially in our area, the recycling men tend to throw the recycling in the general direction of the lorry and anything that falls out is left in the road.

Singlenotsingle Thu 13-Feb-20 16:46:14

Disgusting, isn't it? Travelling along the main roads near our town, I think people must empty their bins out of their car windows!

DGRossetti Thu 13-Feb-20 16:47:05

Funnily enough, I've just seen a discussion about litter elsewhere and this picture was posted:

Can't agree enough. Hanging is too good for them.

To answer the OP: no. Bins, or bags then bins every time.

vikkimoog Thu 13-Feb-20 16:47:07

Do you think they genuinely don't think they're doing anything wrong?
Or are they just very unpleasant people?
I must admit, if a friend/ partner ( bizarrely) started to drop litter I'd dump them; I think it says a lot about a personality

Nowayorhighway Thu 13-Feb-20 16:47:09

I think some of it is caused by the wind tbh. I have noticed more litter in my area on bin day when it’s windy outside. I haven’t witnessed anyone littering for years.

KatherineJaneway Thu 13-Feb-20 16:48:21

They are brought up to be that way.

I saw a woman pushing a pram eating a box of chicken. As she finished each piece she simply chucked the bone on the floor. Great role model.

TheMemoryLingers Thu 13-Feb-20 16:50:21

I'm willing to bet you won't get anyone admitting to it on MN.

I don't but then I very rarely have any litter as I don't like eating or drinking on the move. Doggy's 'gifts' always get bagged and binned, or taken home to bin if necessary.

QuintusEstInHorto Thu 13-Feb-20 16:57:17

I was on a flight once where a family has got on with a chicken fast food meal. As they ate every piece they dropped the bones on the floor or the plane.... new levels of scumminess

QuintusEstInHorto Thu 13-Feb-20 16:57:44

had not has! Ops

leckford Thu 13-Feb-20 17:00:29

Death penalty required, especially when the drive somewhere to dump stuff. Not joking

DGRossetti Thu 13-Feb-20 17:04:08

Death penalty required, especially when the drive somewhere to dump stuff. Not joking

Hangings too good for them. Maybe removing a hand - symbolically the litter hand - would serve better. Who knows, now we have to cosy up to the Saudis, they'll send a few experts over.

Satsuma2 Thu 13-Feb-20 17:05:50

No but I do pick up rubbish if I have a hand free. I always pick up plastic ring holder thingies for beer cans and the like as I can hook them on something. Can't think what they are called at the moment. Also tell the dirty bastards that they are in fact dirty bastards and to pick their rubbish up. Doesn't go down well most of the time but I always hope some of them may think twice next time.

Emijen Thu 13-Feb-20 17:07:42

It’s awful, I hate when I’m driving (well I’m a passenger) and I see someone roll down their window and chuck littler our. Surely it can wait in their car until the get home/to a bin?

BonnesVacances Thu 13-Feb-20 17:09:00

We have a lot of litter in the UK. You notice it on the roadside when you've been abroad.

When I was driving once, the driver of the car in front dropped a bag of McDonalds litter out the window into the road. angry So I think it's a mixture of ignorant fuckers who don't give a shit and rubbish being blown around from unemptied bins.

Chemenger Thu 13-Feb-20 17:11:22

We have the misfortune to live about a mile from McDonald’s on a country road. It takes exactly the same length of time to eat a McDonald’s meal as it takes to drive to our house from there, judging by the amount on McDonald’s rubbish in our garden. I am sorely tempted to ask McDonald’s to come and take back their trash.

Thesuzle Thu 13-Feb-20 17:11:30

Ooooh my favourite topic,
No I don't of course, because I got a clip round the ear as a child if I did.

I usually confront if I see it happening,
Examples,
Woman smoking in her car opposite my house waiting for teenager to come out of college, I watched and yes she did, flicked the fag out onto the road,
Off i went out my front door, picked up the fag, and said, drop litter on your own street not mine.
Well her face was a picture, and off she shot down the road.

And just yesterday whilst out on a route I do often, a tall gas canister newly chucked in the hedge. Phoned the number on the label, eventually told where in my town it could be returned to. So off I went, but no they would not accept it (which seems to be part of the problem). I then Googled and found that Homebase sells the same canister, I got £12.50
Cash for returning it.

I absolutely hate litters, Where can I get one of those ‘Hey Tossers “banners ?????

Missingthesea Thu 13-Feb-20 17:11:54

Someone was parked outside our house recently while we were out and tipped what was obviously the contents of their car's ashtray onto the pavement.

bumblingbovine49 Thu 13-Feb-20 17:12:07

I too haven't seen people litter i for years. There was a lot of rubbish around my house at the weekend because of the wind blowing stuff out of bins.
I personally think we are not too bad with litter as a country . In the 80s London looked like a waste dump there was so much litter. It is much cleaner nowadays

Abraid2 Thu 13-Feb-20 17:13:00

I have been tempted to fill a bag with McD and costa rubbish and take jt back to them. There’s a big Daily Mail spring clean initiative. I know it’s turn but this a worthwhile objective.

MaxPaddyandHarry Thu 13-Feb-20 17:13:12

The rot set in at school in this town. The headmaster declared that it was demeaning for his students to pick up litter and hired a retired gentleman to do it. There was a noticeable increase in rubbish from then on.angry A whole generation learnt that they could throw rubbish down and someone else would pick it up.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »