Talk

Advanced search

Anyone in the WI or other similar women’s group?

(31 Posts)
Twospaniels Fri 07-Feb-20 20:36:18

I’m thinking about having a trial session at my local WI and wonder what other’s experiences are.

I’ve lived here for 15 yrs but have no friends. I have plenty of people that I know but would not say they are friends. I wouldn’t ask any of them to go to the cinema for instance.

I thought maybe through a women’s group I might meet some nice people.

Rubychard Fri 07-Feb-20 20:41:46

I’ve been a member of one for about 8 years. I wasn’t getting out much and some of my friends were involved in a new one that was being set up. We’re a small, young group and I’ve made lots of lovely friends.

If you don’t like one, try a different one as they can be very different.

And we never sing Jerusalem.

sunshinestanley Fri 07-Feb-20 21:10:55

I'm Secretary for a WI. Definitely try a another if the first doesn't suit. Our members are mixed ages (but a fair few 40somethings) and we have lots going on, but similarly a branch a few miles away is full of elderly ladies who have talks from the local surgery and days out to catalogue shops. Vastly different 😊

sunshinestanley Fri 07-Feb-20 21:12:01

Oh, and we don't sing Jerusalem either 😉

TreeTopTim Fri 07-Feb-20 21:14:41

I went to one once. I think everyone there was treble my age. It was quite awkward. Never went back.

PathOfLeastResitance Fri 07-Feb-20 21:17:21

The one I go to in my village is a right mix of ages, experiences and backgrounds. The people watching opportunities are great.
We’ve had some great talks and I love the evening ‘booked out’ of home life. Also I love that I have people to acknowledge in the street like an old time villager. grin
We don’t sing Jerusalem either.

FlatterNow Fri 07-Feb-20 21:26:22

I'm in my forties and a member of my local group. I'm probably towards the younger end but it's a really good group, and actually, great to meet people who are different in age.

TSSDNCOP Fri 07-Feb-20 21:32:49

I’d be gutted if I went and they didn’t sing Jerusalem.

JulietTango Fri 07-Feb-20 21:54:18

If you want Jerusalem you need to go to watch England play test cricket.
It's sung there at least once a day

Rubychard Fri 07-Feb-20 22:01:36

Ladies I’m regally impressed the rest of you don’t sing it either!! grin

jenthelibrarian Fri 07-Feb-20 22:07:08

A possible alternative might be National Women's Register, if there's a local group.

Chewbecca Fri 07-Feb-20 22:11:57

I do. It’s a reasonably new group, over subscribed and mostly 40s-60s.

The monthly meetings are interesting but it is the sub groups I most enjoy because they have fewer attendees, we have so many of them you could get very busy!

Yorkshiremum17 Fri 07-Feb-20 22:15:55

Ive been a member for a year in a large city. The one I'm in is relatively small so I've made a few new friends. We have done stuff like yoga, belly dancing, gin tasting, car maintenance, shiatsu massage, book exchanges etc. Ours is on an evening & We don't sing Jerusalem either.
There is a huge one in our city but it has a massive waiting list and is apparently quite cliquey in certain areas. They all have a trial period, so k keep trying until you find something that suits you

Toddlerteaplease Fri 07-Feb-20 22:31:12

I've been In the WI for a year. It's ok. We drink tea and eat cake. Some good activities. But I've not really got much out of it. It's a huge group, most of them are school mums, and as it only meets once a month it's difficult to get to know anyone. I also do t live in that local area so feel a bit out of it.

Toddlerteaplease Fri 07-Feb-20 22:31:42

Plus I have absolutely no interest in women's issues.

Toddlerteaplease Fri 07-Feb-20 22:33:00

@TSSDNCOP I was very disappointed that we don't ding it. I know it off by heart!

Davros Fri 07-Feb-20 23:13:39

I was so excited when a new WI started in my area. I went along to the first meeting and was appalled that the planned activity to get to know eachother was to make bunting, i.e. sit there and SEW!! Even worse, I was the only one who couldn't sew and who objected to it. I never went back.

CaramelCrunch Sat 08-Feb-20 07:15:07

I'm in the evening WI in my town, and agree you may have to try a few as they are all different. I've visited my mum's group and it was much more formal than ours. I like going to the meeting but the best bit for me is the groups that I attend from it - as they are smaller it's much easier to get to know people. I am probably the youngest member, but if you are doing an activity together then you have that in common, whereas just because someone is your age doesn't mean you'll get on.

Go to a meeting as a visitor and see if you like it!

Twospaniels Sat 08-Feb-20 10:26:53

Thanks everyone for your messages. Seems like quite mixed opinions. But I shall contact my local one and go along to see what it’s like. Thanks.

Parker231 Sat 08-Feb-20 10:29:24

A neighbour goes to U3A - lots of different groups for different interests.

AuntieMarys Sat 08-Feb-20 10:49:32

Interesting. I was thinking about it but don't sew or bake. Clearly there's more to it than that

Toddlerteaplease Sun 09-Feb-20 02:30:30

I'd love to join U3A. My parents are I. It, and do loads of interesting stuff that I'd love. Unfortunately I'm too young by about 25 years!

PathOfLeastResitance Wed 12-Feb-20 15:17:29

U3A is for older people.

I also don’t bake. It’s best for everybody that way.

EssexGurl Wed 12-Feb-20 16:54:29

My local one is marketed as a young, dynamic group - so fabulous it has a huge waiting list. Got in after about a 2 year wait and left after a couple of years. Very, very cliquey - younger members vs older members. Tea rota was a nightmare - gave up after nasty email when I couldn’t do my monthly shift, despite telling them 2 months previously ... I realised I didn’t know anyone to swop my shift with so told them that as soon as I knew I couldn’t go but still they didn’t read the email until the night before and then I got the nasty passive aggressive email for my “short notice”. Didn’t renew the next year - they never even followed up to find out why.

Kez200 Wed 12-Feb-20 20:23:52

I help run a small womens group. We started it as there isnt much locally and, even if there was, we didn't think WI would be for us.

We have about 40 ladies and people come when they can. Usually about 20 come. We are suggested donation only and so anyone can come.

We have a few things we do regularly and then at each session someone runs a craft or an activity. Lots of different ideas. My favourite so far has been candlemaking.

A friend said its a bit like a quirky ladies circle so I dont know if there is something like that near you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »