Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone find the meat portions of Gousto are too small?

(32 Posts)
Juicy2020 Tue 14-Jan-20 22:43:01

Just having a look at the website and it's quite interesting how they tell you the exact grams of the veg, dairy, spices etc that the send, but for two adults they just put "one large chicken breast."

Hmm!! How many grams of meat is this per adult? They don't seem to tell you. And half a chicken breast doesn't go far...

Is this a problem for regular users?

Juicy2020 Tue 14-Jan-20 22:44:41

"250g" beef mince for two is quite stingy...

Juicy2020 Tue 14-Jan-20 22:45:57

OMG it gets worse!!

A 100g basa fillet for one person, which will cook down to about 70g!

Guess I am out! No wonder it's so heavily discounted for your first month, because you get about a spoonful of meat!

gamerchick Tue 14-Jan-20 22:46:56

Because people have lost sight of what a portion looks like. Half a large chicken breast is a portion for an adult.

PrincessMaryaBolkonskaya Tue 14-Jan-20 22:47:15

I agree it’s a bit stingy sounding.

Hopefully lots of people will tell us that our sense of a normal portion is warped and that a large chicken breast could feed a family of four for a week.... <hopeful>

Juicy2020 Tue 14-Jan-20 22:47:34

Superb cross post there

PrincessMaryaBolkonskaya Tue 14-Jan-20 22:48:51

@Juicy2020 wink

surlycurly Tue 14-Jan-20 22:49:23

I'd rather eat no meat than a thimble full. Defeats the point. I'll get my protein from broccoli. Or a big steak.

MongerTruffle Tue 14-Jan-20 22:49:49

They don't specify the weight of chicken because then they'd need to cut the breasts to size, which would be quite wasteful.
Re the beef: it depends on the dish. I put 125 g of minced meat per person in lasagne, for example.

bumblingbovine49 Tue 14-Jan-20 22:50:16

I.have started using Gusto for a few.meals a week and have found them pretty delicious so far and easy.

I thought the portions would be too.small.as well but so far, the food has been a reasonable.amont and is a medium size plate of food and quite filling. I don't think they would be enough for a large man say though.

Most meals seem to be around 450 to 700 Cal's which seems ok, though one fish dish this week was 210 calories. I'd definitely was the 2 person portion of that !!

Ginfordinner Tue 14-Jan-20 22:52:17

250g of mince between 2 people is ample. By the time you have made a basic mince dish with onions and carrots, then topped with dumplings there is loads.

WestCovina Tue 14-Jan-20 22:52:23

I have been using gousto for 4 meals a week for about 4 months now and can honestly say the portions have never been disappointing! I say as that a chronic over with 0 portion control!

125g of mince is a correct portion for an adult as well lol

bumblingbovine49 Tue 14-Jan-20 22:53:37

Also the chicken breast that can with the meal I cooked tonight was pretty big, though I didn't weigh it.

WestCovina Tue 14-Jan-20 22:53:39

*chronic over eater that should have said

SquashedFlyBiscuit Tue 14-Jan-20 22:53:41

We dont find they're too small. A 4 person meal should do 2 adults and 2 children but we made their lasagne this week and had lots leftover. Sausages there were 3 each! We usually do 2.

So for mince meals weve had leftovers, sausages is generous, chicken about right. We haven't had a fish one as hte kids dont like fish.

We've been super pleased with them. (Happy to share a discount code with anyone ;) )

The chicken is about right as their breasts are huge. When we replicated it with sainsburys ingredients we used a breast each which was the same.

TickleMyPickle Tue 14-Jan-20 22:54:10

We have huge appetites and it’s honestly enough. When I start cooking each meal I look at it and think it’s no way near enough and we’ll be starving, but it’s fine. We are always full and satisfied.

bumblingbovine49 Tue 14-Jan-20 22:56:23

@ticklemypickle

Yes that happens time tonight. I looked at it before cooking and thought is this all ? but the food ended up being enough for two portions and I was full after eating it

Unusualsuspicion Tue 14-Jan-20 22:58:09

Gah, this portion nonsense annoys me. A lot of people are a healthy weight and therefore know what a portion is, because if they consistently ate less than they did they would eventually become underweight. I ate about 150g dry weight spaghetti this evening. I was very hungry, and there was only tomato sauce to go with it, so that was a portion. If I was having pasta with a meat and vegetable sauce I might only eat 40-50g pasta. That's a portion too! Likewise cheese. A matchbox sized 'official' portion isn't going to cut it when presented with the Xmas cheeseboard, but would be too much if grated over Bolognese. I'm a healthy weight, ergo my portion sizes are just fine as they are! I haven't lost sight of anything.

In answer to OPs question, if the meat is a main portion with not much else, it sounds a bit stingy, but if say the chicken breast was going to be turned into a curry with loads of veg, that'd be plenty for a hungry me. Your mileage may vary!

Unusualsuspicion Tue 14-Jan-20 22:59:18

Sorry, x-posted with all the actual gousto users!

FoxRedBitch Tue 14-Jan-20 22:59:38

Agreed, this is what has put me off. The photos of the recipes show way more meat than is supplied. Also, I don't get the 3 sausages vs half a chicken breast?!?

gaggiagirl Tue 14-Jan-20 23:01:11

I find that once the food is served its a generous portion. The chicken breasts are huge. We've used gousto for 2 years now and it's rare we get a meal with stingy portions although it has happened!

averylongtimeago Tue 14-Jan-20 23:01:54

We had a gusto meal tonight: linguini with chicken, lemon and mangetout peas. Creamy sauce made with cream fresh and cheese. 530gm of chicken, plenty of veg, made 4 good sized adult portions.
We have been using them a while- quick and easy, very tasty recipes.

Deadheadstickeronacadillac Tue 14-Jan-20 23:14:54

I use them every week to feed 4 people...using the two person servings.
They are very large chicken breasts!
Caveats are, I had a gastric sleeve, 1 child is 3, the other is 12 and has a very good school lunch (private school). All eat healthy portions but that is the thing, portion sizes are warped these days.
I do sometimes supplement with frozen peas or a tin of sweet corn, but am generally very happy with what we choose and receive.

Juicy2020 Tue 14-Jan-20 23:17:48

Hmm, ok I'm going to give it a go for £14! If it's rubbish I'll cancel it!

Juicy2020 Tue 14-Jan-20 23:18:08

@averylongtimeago I have ordered that linguine!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »