Talk

Advanced search

When to take Valium before smear?

(6 Posts)
woahbodyform Tue 14-Jan-20 22:22:31

I’m due my smear in a couple of days . GP has given me 2 x 2mg Valium and also advised to take cocodamol and ibuprofen first - I have PTSD following assault and vaginismus, plus suspected endometriosis so anything down there is excruciatingly painful/traumatic .Been told if this fails I can have it at hospital with sedation or G&A.

GP hasn’t said much about when to take it, just to take the two before the appointment and to arrange a lift to/from the surgery . Appt is at 10.

I’m thinking if I get up at 7, take one then and jump in the shower etc, and then take the next one at 9.15ish that might be enough time to feel sufficiently ‘drunk’ enough to get the damn thing done, but still able to walk in to the surgery fine etc ?

Appreciate any advice at all, I’m bricking it already !

KatyN Tue 14-Jan-20 22:25:00

I find it takes about half an hour for the Valium to start working.. then it should last 4-6 hours.
I think your plan would be fine, or take them both at 8ish to get the double whammy.

That’s probably too much to drive on, so defo get a lift to and from.

penberrh Tue 14-Jan-20 22:31:31

Cant answer your question but is there a colposcopy unit in your hospital? Your GP could refer you there - they have special chairs, different sized speculums etc. After three failed attempts with my local surgery they referred me there and they were great.

Hope all goes well smile

penberrh Tue 14-Jan-20 22:32:56

Sorry, just read your full message. I didn’t need sedation/anaesthetic in hospital - I guess that would have been the next step.

CatsMother66 Tue 14-Jan-20 23:53:06

Make sure you ask for the small speculum, makes a huge difference.

woahbodyform Wed 15-Jan-20 12:41:10

I will do, I think they tried that last time and couldn’t even get that in but will make sure they try the smallest . Hopefully with the diazepam and pain relief it’s done and over quickly . There is a colposcopy unit as well actually , I never thought of that so if it does fail again I’ll suggest that to GP too . Probably easier than being at GP’s with two nurses and the doctor all failing to get it done ... Thank you flowers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »