Talk

Advanced search

Desperately want to change career but no idea what to do- help!

(6 Posts)
kickingk16 Tue 14-Jan-20 22:14:59

I'm currently in a well paying senior project management role in an organisation I've worked in for some time, but I'm increasingly unhappy. My days are manic, I constantly feel stressed and overwhelmed and work nearly every evening. I have two small pre-school children at home, and even though I've gone down to 4 days I feel that the job just overshadows everything and I long to be back on mat leave again and to be able to properly enjoy family life.

I work with nice people, and my manager is a decent person, but ultimately I just don't think this career path is for me. I fell into it by accident as a graduate and have progressed to a point, but I don't think it's a natural fit for my personality and skills, and I'm envious of those who seem to do it with such ease. I'd be willing to take a pay cut/ more junior role for some peace of mind (so long as we can still afford the mortgage), and even consider re-training, but I've no idea what I want to do, and it seems almost impossible to find any part time work that pays well (ideally I'd love to go down to 3 days while the kids are so little). Roles involving research / analysis do appeal - I'd really like to have some specific expertise, but I don't know what in!

Has any one out there successfully changed careers to something different but part time? Or just a career change at all (esp with young kids)? I'd love to hear any positive stories as it feels as though I'm in a complete rut.

kickingk16 Tue 14-Jan-20 23:49:40

Just bumping to see if anyone out there....

Mumof3dragons Wed 15-Jan-20 00:27:32

Hello

I worked in the media industry for years, but it was tricky to find suitable work when I moved out of London and had the kids.

I felt a bit lost when the youngest started school, and so started volunteering for a charity. I'd really recommend it. It's a great way to learn more about something you're interested in, and you quickly find out what your transferable skills are, which is especially useful if you want to change careers.

I taught one morning a week for a year, for an educational charity. I then discovered I genuinely loved working with young people, and got some references from my programme manager to start tutoring privately.

I dip in and out now, choosing my own hours. I thought it would be tricky as most people would want hours after school...but have found many families that home school, kids re-taking exams, organisations which are helping vulnerable kids get back into education...all during school hours.

I could do more, but I do about 2 days a week now (different locations I drive to so probably 2 1/2 time wise) which is perfect. It's given me new skills, purpose, self confidence and satisfaction.

Mumof3dragons Wed 15-Jan-20 00:29:35

PS good luck. It's a tricky time with young kids, but you can always make the change 😉

kickingk16 Wed 15-Jan-20 00:40:14

@Mumof3dragons Thanks for responding - volunteering might be a useful route to go down to try out something new (though maybe when they're both at school age). I am a bit wary of switching to something / re-training then discovering I don't like that either!

Thanks for sharing your story.

Mumof3dragons Wed 15-Jan-20 01:17:03

Yes...voluntary work is a brilliant way of exploring new avenues. I still do my Friday mornings with the charity because I made such good friendships and love the kids.

It's no financial commitment but you still get to learn a lot.

Hope things change for you. Keep an eye out and follow your own interests...for me it was not only not being tied to a laptop or a regular (hellish!) commute, but working face to face with people, developing connections and ultimately, a sense of reward that I didn't get previously. The flexibility and being my own boss is the icing on the cake tbh!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »