Talk

Advanced search

Dry socket pain !

(40 Posts)
honeybooboo29 Tue 14-Jan-20 21:56:17

I had my lower wisdom tooth taken out on Thursday and have since developed dry socket! I went to my dentist on Saturday and he cleared it out and put a brown thing in it. However, now I'm unsure if I need to go back as I'm still in pain and what I should do. will the hole ever close? how long does the pain last for because I can't get any definitive answers on google. any information would be very helpful! thank you

Orangesandlemons82 Tue 14-Jan-20 21:59:02

I sympathise with you!! I posted about this over Christmas. It was agony! I had it packed 3 times in the end and I couldn't see how it would ever heal. However, it did and is completely fine now. I think it was bad for 2 weeks but having it packed every few days to begin with definitely helped with the pain. What painkillers have you tried?

butwhateverfor Tue 14-Jan-20 21:59:31

Try some clove oil on a cotton bud. It helps with the pain.

honeybooboo29 Tue 14-Jan-20 22:02:13

@Orangesandlemons82

how did you know you needed to go back?
co codamol but nothings helping the pain sad

honestly one of the worst things I've experienced

Orangesandlemons82 Tue 14-Jan-20 22:08:21

@honeybooboo29 I found that after about 36 hours after being packed the pain really began to intensify so went back then. Once it was recleaned and packed the pain did decrease again. I ended up seeing my GP and was prescribed tramadol as no painkillers touched the pain. I fractured my leg last year and I honestly think dry socket was more painful. I really hope it improves soon, but don't be afraid to go back and get it repacked and see GP for stronger pain relief.

honeybooboo29 Tue 14-Jan-20 22:11:48

@Orangesandlemons82

that's how I'm feeling now sad I think I need to get it packed again.
but one thing I'm not sure on is once its packed what are you meant to do for aftercare? also I smoke so I don't know when its okay to start smoking again
and ill be going to my gp tomorrow hopefully they can prescribe something stronger!
hahaha I spoke to mum today and she said she would rather give birth again than go through this

Orangesandlemons82 Tue 14-Jan-20 22:15:39

After care wise, rinse mouth 3 or 4 times a day with warm salt water to keep area clean. If you can try not to its best not to smoke as that can be a factor in developing dry socket and extending how long it takes to heal. Really hope you can get stronger pain relief, I was contemplating going to A+E it was so painful!

honeybooboo29 Tue 14-Jan-20 22:22:23

@honeybooboo29

okay thank you!

how long do you think it will take to heal I'm worried ill always have a hole there!

And do you think I should go back to my dentist as my pain hasn't decreased, although I wouldn't say its got worse idk if it could get worse though hahaha

Fannia Tue 14-Jan-20 22:24:55

You can go to A&E if it gets really unbearable there was a thread a while back where OP said 111 advised her it wasn't worth going but she was so bad she went anyway and they were able to help. Of course that is a last resort and it is best to see GP and dentist if you can wait.
Another thing is to use an icepack on your face.

Cheeseboardcriminal Tue 14-Jan-20 22:26:48

Absolutely worst pain ever, I feel for you.

I had double jaw surgery which included breaking both Jaws and screwing them to metal plates and I would do that again before having dry socket again.

I found the relief after having it packed was pretty much instant.

In the mean time soak a piece of cotton wool and push it into the gap. The pain comes because the nerve is exposed to the air.

Orangesandlemons82 Tue 14-Jan-20 22:29:22

@honeybooboo29 Yes definitely go back to dentist, it does often take more than one packing, they can also have a proper look and see what is happening ( a torch, mirror and my husband wasn't much help!) . I thought at the time the hole would never heal and would need some sort of surgery, but actually after about a week you could see a small amount of new gum tissue starting to grow. Once the bone and nerves start to be covered the pain reduces loads. When I look now, nearly a month on, the gum does still look different but there is absolutely no pain at all, even when I touch it.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Tue 14-Jan-20 22:32:09

Can you have a patch in the meantime? I'd check with your dentist about smoking whilst waiting for this to heal. I wouldn't smoke until the gum has closed over the hole. It's so painful, I know.

honeybooboo29 Tue 14-Jan-20 22:34:38

@Fannia

nooo i will just wait until the morning and go to my gp

I'm practically sleeping with an icepack to my face ahaha

honeybooboo29 Tue 14-Jan-20 22:36:12

@Cheeseboardcriminal

I don't think I can put anything into the gap I'm too scared to

honeybooboo29 Tue 14-Jan-20 22:37:43

@Orangesandlemons82

ahh thank you, you've given me hope!

I just read online that after 2 weeks new tissues begin to form regardless so hopefully it starts healing then. but I've also read stories of it not healing for over a year!

honeybooboo29 Tue 14-Jan-20 22:39:07

@LyingWitchInTheWardrobe

after I got the packing my dentist told me to not smoke for 3 days which I haven't, I'm scared that it will make the make pain worse.
but I don't know if I'm safe to smoke now

stevenage42 Tue 14-Jan-20 22:40:20

Please don't follow the advice about, soaking cotton wool and placing in the socket. The cotton wool is fibrous, particles will break off and become trapped in the area, potentially causing a worse problem/possible bad infection.

Stick to a salt mouthwash for now, string analgesics, and see your dentist in the morning. You may need it redressed, and some antibiotics. I'm a dentist

Haggisfish Tue 14-Jan-20 22:44:01

Oh god it was awful. I had it repacked about every three days for two weeks. It got considerably more manageable after that with codeine and I have no hole at all now.

stevenage42 Tue 14-Jan-20 22:44:32

Also, try not to smoke, as that may make it worse.
And I wouldn't bother your gp either. This is very much a dental problem, and gps are busy enough. Hope you can get through the night.

If the pack/antibiotics don't help, your dentist can do a procedure ( when numb) to debride the surfaces of the dry socket and get it to bleed again, forming a new clot.

honeybooboo29 Tue 14-Jan-20 22:45:11

@stevenage42

I wouldn't be able to put anything in there anyway haha!

Im on antibiotics atm, also do you have any info on what would happen if I smoked?

AngeloftheSouth123 Tue 14-Jan-20 22:46:46

Totally sympathising. In agony here with severe pain. Worse pain in the world. I am resting with a warm compress on the side of my face. Hope things ease for all. X

honeybooboo29 Tue 14-Jan-20 22:47:38

@stevenage42

ahh I was wondering why don't dentists do this initially when faced with a dry socket, surely it would be easier and less complicated ?

honeybooboo29 Tue 14-Jan-20 22:48:53

@AngeloftheSouth123

I think cold compress is the better !

ozymandiusking Tue 14-Jan-20 22:48:58

I know this isn't what you are asking. But, if you haven't smoked for 2-3 days, could you not possibly consider yourself now a non smoker.
Don't start again. I used to smoke and now suffer the most horrendous chest problems, I wish I had never started.
I put the money in a tin every night that I would have spent on a packet of cigarettes. And kept a packet of ciggs in my bag so I knew I could have one whenever I wanted and just kept delaying having one.
Go on think about it.

honeybooboo29 Tue 14-Jan-20 22:49:34

@stevenage42

also I find that even just putting pressure on that side of my face eases the pain a little, why is that?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »