Talk

Advanced search

Is it weird that I’m nearly 40 and never been to a wedding?

(102 Posts)
MooKnee Tue 14-Jan-20 21:32:20

I guess it’s just circumstantial, about half of my friends aren’t married, others were already married when I met them, a handful got married abroad and I couldn’t afford to go.
I never went to any weddings growing up as I come from a tiny family and similar aged relatives have never been married.
Is this unusual or any others out there never been to a wedding?
I should add, I’ve been with DP 10 years and no marriage on the cards but I might change that if it turns out I am weird and need to get to a wedding pronto!!

homemadecommunistrussia Tue 14-Jan-20 21:36:52

I have been to at least 12 not including my own and I am not much older than you, so I would think that's pretty unusual.

OhioOhioOhio Tue 14-Jan-20 21:39:14

I'm older than you and have been to 4.

We3kingsoforientareandabump Tue 14-Jan-20 21:40:19

I've been to 11 including my own. Most were family weddings though. I'm 32.

AnneLovesGilbert Tue 14-Jan-20 21:41:26

It is quite unusual. DH hadn’t been to a funeral till he was in his 40s.

FruityWidow Tue 14-Jan-20 21:42:46

I've only been to about 6.

hereiamagain84 Tue 14-Jan-20 21:43:05

I think that’s unusual ive I’m my 30s and been to around 25+ no longer a novelty!

Nottalotta Tue 14-Jan-20 21:43:15

I'm 42 and have been to.....hardly any. The main reason though, is that my husband (we're seperated now) is incredibly unsociable and very controlling. I've been invited to a few but never ended up going. Sometimes as a last minute thing. Which makes me feel really angry and a bit sad.

ParkheadParadise Tue 14-Jan-20 21:45:47

I have a large family, so have been to lots of weddings.
Yes, I think it's unusual for someone your age.

RuffleCrow Tue 14-Jan-20 21:46:24

I don't think it's that unusual. We all get handed a different set of cards in life, don't we? Not much you can do about the people you know not getting married so why worry?

MooKnee Tue 14-Jan-20 21:50:12

Not really worried just would love to go to one, never the bridesmaid, never the bride and never the bleeding guest either! grin

cheshirecat777 Tue 14-Jan-20 21:52:54

Not the norm perhaps but not unheard of

i come from a large family and was the youngest this meant all the aunts and uncles where already married by the time i came along and although i have a number of siblings most didnt marry or married when i was younger. My parents also came from large families and we weren't v close to our cousins. so despite being from a large family i haven't actually been to many family weddings.
I have been to a few friends weddings and one or two family ones. But you only have the family and friends you have and not everyone has loads of friends who get married and some have small families etc . to be honest attending weddings can be v expensive and not always that great.

Like i say perhaps not the norm but there will be some others like you who for whatever reason haven't attended weddings

ToastandCheese Tue 14-Jan-20 21:56:32

Off the top of my head I can count 11, not including my own. We did go through a phase where I think all our friends got married.

TeetotalKoala Tue 14-Jan-20 21:57:55

I'd say it's a little unusual. I'm a similar age to you and I've been to 16 that I can think of offhand, but I'm sure I've forgotten some too. Two of those were as a child, one as a teen and the rest from about 21 onwards as friends and colleagues started to get married. I include my own wedding in that list.

misspiggy19 Tue 14-Jan-20 21:57:59

Yes, I would say very unusual

TheThingWithFeathers Tue 14-Jan-20 21:59:02

I would think it's quite unusual not to have been to any. I'm 41 and I've been to 14. When I was totting up in my head there, I almost forgot to count my own sister's wedding! I try to block that one out because it was the worst! wink

Elbeagle Tue 14-Jan-20 21:59:20

I’m 35 and have been to around 30 I think! Have 3 coming up this year too. I’d say it’s a little unusual but sometimes circumstances mean these things don’t happen 🤷🏻‍♀️

leckford Tue 14-Jan-20 22:04:18

I have been to a few, I did not enjoy any of them and the majority of people are now divorced. Weddings are not really enjoyable in my view. Ours was very small family only

caulkheaded Tue 14-Jan-20 22:08:39

I think it’s unusual but I’ve been to about 60-70 (ie last year I went to 8, about 6 the year before). All friends and mostly through church or uni. No family ones since I was a little child though.

Sportsnight Tue 14-Jan-20 22:11:57

I went to one when I was 8, then one at 22, then in my 30s I went to about 4 a year. This has fortunately slowed to one every four years. I think it’s pretty unusual. You need to make friends with a lot of singletons and hope for the best!

Itsashame Tue 14-Jan-20 22:13:03

Unusual. I’m 40 and have been to about 30

1300cakes Tue 14-Jan-20 22:13:06

Similar here. I'm a similar age and have only been to 3. The first one was when I was about 30. Some people have considered this unusual so I know what you mean.

Tinnedpeachesandcream Tue 14-Jan-20 22:13:32

I’m 38 and must have been to about 60 weddings I reckon. Loads of uni and school friends, work mates, DH’s school friends etc, probably about 10 family ones. I didn’t go to my first funeral until I was about 25 (For a relative of DH’s) and DH had never been to a wedding until he met me grin. I’ve still only been to 6 funerals ever I think 🤔

TheFlis12345 Tue 14-Jan-20 22:15:24

I am pretty much the same age as you and think it’s very unusual. I don’t have a big family either so only a few weddings there, but at least 30 of friends. I used to average 3-4 a year but am now down to one or two as most of them are married now.

GorgeousLadyofWrestling Tue 14-Jan-20 22:18:14

I’m 39 and I’ve only been to about six - similar reasons to you. My friends are either just unmarried or married before we met. It’s not through lack of friends, just circumstances 🤷🏻‍♀️

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »