Talk

Advanced search

Camphor wood chest. Anyone got one?

(12 Posts)
Miljea Tue 14-Jan-20 21:26:23

Very random I know! But if you do, do you know its history?

Am sitting here looking at mine, inherited from my mum, which was bought in Tanzania before I was born, late 50s, early 60s. Apparently bought from Indian traders.

Anything to add?

Katinski Tue 14-Jan-20 22:25:34

Soddit! I was writing a reply when poof!it disappearedsad
Off to bed now, so I'll reply tomorrow, enough now to say yes, I've got one and boy! does it ponggrin
More tomorrow...

Gonegrey31 Tue 14-Jan-20 22:28:13

I have one , inherited from family
member who acquired it in Singapore after the war . Smells lovely . I keep my cashmere sweaters in it ( deters moths ).

ParanoidGynodroid Tue 14-Jan-20 23:42:05

I have two. Like a pp, one of mine came from Singapore. It’s huge, beautiful and oriental, but doesn’t have much of a history.
The other is smaller and from West Africa. It has stylised carvings of various tribal leaders around it.

scaryteacher Wed 15-Jan-20 00:34:36

My Mum, had it shipped back from HK with friends when she'd been there on holiday. It has a sticker with my name on it; must refresh it, it's been there over 30 years and I don't want my brother to get his mitts on it.

Miljea Thu 16-Jan-20 12:18:55

My DB wanted our mum's too, but he doesn't have the room. He's happy that it's still in the family, though.

Katinski Thu 16-Jan-20 13:21:48

Right, I'm back!
I don't know where mine came from, it belonged to my m-in-law's mother and she travelled all over the world in the early days of aviation, so date? dunno...It's a sewing chest with a lift-off top tray with storage for fabric underneath.When my m-in-law died her solicitors contacted me to come to collect it. She lived in Worthing, I in Glos, so it took a bit of time to get down there. That camphor smell never goes away! The Sol. office was in an old house with a large,long garden, and in desperation they'd stored it in a shed right at the far end of the gardengrin
It was still full of sewing things and an absolute bonus was finding a small pair of ornate silver sewing scissors.
So, yes,I still use it (tho close the lid quickly!)
That camphor smell just goes on...and on...and ongrin

Bluntness100 Thu 16-Jan-20 13:28:29

Here's mine, excuse the skull sitting on it 🤣. I bought mine in an antique shop in Brussels several years ago. So no history. I got it as I liked it,

Bluntness100 Thu 16-Jan-20 13:28:59

Sorry here's pic.

Katinski Thu 16-Jan-20 15:25:24

Bluntness I really love yours! Does it pong, too?
Oh! and I'd love a skull, any idea of its history and age?

Bluntness100 Thu 16-Jan-20 15:31:40

It pongs, but it's been in front of a radiator so now only when I open it, previously it actually stunk the whole room out,

It's a buffalo skull,,,long story,,,🤣

Bluntness100 Thu 16-Jan-20 15:32:12

It doesn't live there, it's just testing before it's hung,,,

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »