Talk

Advanced search

I want you to be 100% honest... Wedding venue.

(139 Posts)
PrincessSloth Tue 14-Jan-20 20:36:39

NC as I've mentioned this to people IRL!

What would you think if you were invited to a wedding in a Holiday Inn?

To be fair, it's gorgeous inside, loads of fairy lights etc and reasonably priced but then I think.... But it's a Holiday Inn blush

So I want your honest opinions please!

Pipandmum Tue 14-Jan-20 20:37:56

Could be lovely.

Mumtown Tue 14-Jan-20 20:38:32

Could you do a smaller wedding in a nicer venue?

Clangus00 Tue 14-Jan-20 20:38:54

Wouldn’t bother me. A hotel is a hotel.

74NewStreet Tue 14-Jan-20 20:40:24

I’d go to someone else’s no problem, but I wouldn’t book it for my own. There are so many nicer venues.

JasonPollack Tue 14-Jan-20 20:40:28

I would think, that's where the wedding is.

It's not like it's a travellodge, but even then I don't think anyone would care.

TheFaerieQueene Tue 14-Jan-20 20:40:52

If you were family or a friend I cared about, I would look forward to celebrating your big day, the venue is irrelevant. I’ve been to very very expensive weddings and weddings in a field. They were all fabulous. Have a lovely time.

georgialondon Tue 14-Jan-20 20:40:58

I'd think it was convenient for staying overnight afterwards

Reallybadidea Tue 14-Jan-20 20:41:18

My husband's very swanky work Christmas party is always at the local Holiday Inn. I was a bit surprised the first time we went that it was being held there but I was won over as soon as we arrived.

superram Tue 14-Jan-20 20:41:32

There is a nice holiday inn near me. Most people get married elsewhere then just have their reception there.

Saucery Tue 14-Jan-20 20:41:44

If it’s got what you want inside then who cares?
The enormous corporate hotel on the outside of our city isn’t any different, really and that is so popular for weddings. I wasn’t impressed when I went to their wedding fair and neither were other members of my family when planning their weddings. It just cost a ludicrous amount for much the same thing.

Twickerhun Tue 14-Jan-20 20:42:21

Do it. I wouldn’t judge at all as long as you had enough food and drink, short speeches and not too much random hanging around time

brittabot Tue 14-Jan-20 20:42:27

I wouldn’t judge but I was annoyed when my lovely independent wedding venue became a Best Western shortly after our wedding!

IHaveBrilloHair Tue 14-Jan-20 20:42:37

It's your wedding I'd just be happy for you.

fartingsparkles Tue 14-Jan-20 20:43:02

Been to lovely weddings in Holiday Inns. There is one fairly locally which is a popular venue. I don't understand why its a problem. If you like it what does it matter what the sign on the outside says?

Pinkstars2501 Tue 14-Jan-20 20:43:30

The Holiday Inn in my home town has a massive ballroom with chandeliers and it's beautiful! However it used to be owned by another hotel chain, I forget which one, so the Holiday Inn just kept it because it's great for weddings/proms/balls etc. So if you had a wedding there I'd be very happy.
Depends on which Holiday Inn I guess.

ohwheniknow Tue 14-Jan-20 20:44:09

I'd think, "better check the parking situation there".

ShirleyPhallus Tue 14-Jan-20 20:44:11

If that’s the budget and that’s what you want and you love the venue then fine

But there is something a little bit sad about the inside of those conference rooms for a wedding. Any chain hotel really.

Forcryingoutloudwtf Tue 14-Jan-20 20:44:47

It's just a venue. I never base whether a wedding is good or not on the room the celebration is in. It's all about the atmosphere, the people who are there and it is also great when there is good food and lots to drink.

dellacucina Tue 14-Jan-20 20:44:49

I'd probably be a bit hmm upon receiving the invitation but then would think how savvy you were to look beyond the name upon arriving, if it is so lovely as you say!

Yoohoo16 Tue 14-Jan-20 20:45:26

Don’t see the issue.
It’s about the couple getting married not how fancy or not fancy the venue is.

BonnesVacances Tue 14-Jan-20 20:45:56

I'd think "fair play and what a sensible choice". Go for it.

3luckystars Tue 14-Jan-20 20:46:18

Show us it

VerbenaGirl Tue 14-Jan-20 20:46:39

Wouldn’t bother me at all!

ispyachocolatepie Tue 14-Jan-20 20:46:43

I love a wedding regardless of where it is! Sounds cheesy but it's the people that make it so to me the venue is always a bit irrelevant. One of the most enjoyable weddings I've ever been to was a registry office ceremony at 11 am and then the rest of the day in the local pub. It was so wonderfully chilled and everyone seemed so happy and relaxed. I say go for it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »