Talk

Advanced search

Recommend me an indestructible mobile phone

(14 Posts)
Caninelover Tue 14-Jan-20 20:29:39

I need an indestructible phone for a teen who keeps smashing screens and dropping his phone in the bath. Currently he hasn’t got one but I need to be able to contact him and preferably track him. I also need to be able to put parental controls on and block social media etc. Oh and it needs to be as cheap as possible.

AlCalavicci Tue 14-Jan-20 20:59:10

I have a Samsung A5 which has been dunked twice.and it still lives.
I think making sure it has a decent case help a lot . My phone is about 3 years old and has been dropped many times but the case protects it well it still look quite new and has no scratches.

Doyoumind Tue 14-Jan-20 21:00:56

I think it's worth spending money on a really good case.

TreacherousPissFlap Tue 14-Jan-20 21:17:46

I came on to say about the case, the deal in our house is that if you are going to have a decent phone it needs too go in an OtterBox case, otherwise it's Nokia bricks all the way.
I freely admit the cases are rather fugly, but we have not had a broken phone in the 5 years we've been using them.

Drizzzle Tue 14-Jan-20 21:23:20

Tesco have some non-smart phones for £20 or less (no contract).

Ariela Tue 14-Jan-20 21:24:37

Another vote for Otterbox screen covers and cases

Ariela Tue 14-Jan-20 21:25:29

Also my Samsung A5 got dropped in a water trough twice and still worked

flounderfish Tue 14-Jan-20 21:27:46

UAG cases have protected our phones well. We have stone floors inside and out and a toddler who likes to drop our phones. Before we started using these cases we smashed multiple phones by dropping them. No issues since.

LolalolaLola Tue 14-Jan-20 21:28:01

otterbox

FaithInfinity Tue 14-Jan-20 21:45:14

I am terrible for dropping phones and smashing screens and I swear by Otterbox cases too.

AlCalavicci Tue 14-Jan-20 22:54:58

@Ariela
Samsungs do like to go for a swim dont they, the 1st time mine got dunked was when I was washing the pots it rang and I picked it up with wet soapy hands and it slipped straight into the sink of hot soapy water , queue me scrabbling round like mad amongst the knifes and forks when I found it and the person on the other end was going hello ? hellllooo are you still there .
The second time was in a puddle .

TreestumpsAndTrampolines Tue 14-Jan-20 22:59:05

I've got a 2 year old iphone x, which is waterproof (often proven), and has never been in more than a backing case, and frequently dropped/lives in my back pocket, and it only has one scratch from a sharp piece of wire that I'd stuffed in my pocket with them without thinking when doing something in the garage.

I'm pretty impressed. Not saying it's indestructible, but it's lasted better than any other phone I've had, outside of one of those mega cases which double the depth and weight (which is what I had previously.. and they work.. just make the phone into an absolute brick)

Caninelover Wed 15-Jan-20 07:05:30

An I phone x is a bit beyond budget but will take a peak at the otter box and Samsung. He tends to chew cases off ( asd).

Ariela Thu 16-Jan-20 09:34:20

The Samsung A5 is considered a bit old hat now and is consequently relatively cheap. I forgot to mention that I bought mine via John Lewis with an extended warranty (£approx £60 - price of a new screen probably). I had the Otterbox cover and screen protector, one night it fell out of my pocket and down the side of the recliner, so when I righted the recliner it literally got mashed through the mechanism. Cover front and back looked like spiders webs, but still intact under the Otterbox protectors and still worked. Got a new phone under the JL warranty.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »