Talk

Advanced search

Manchester - where to stay

(53 Posts)
NeverTalksToStrangers Mon 13-Jan-20 08:05:26

Going to Manchester with dh and 2*ds for city match. Have booked premier inn at picadilly (and was pretty much only looking at hotels in that area as was told it's great for transport) but now I've read the square is a total shithole, I'm not so sure.

Are the surrounding streets as bad? I know the hotel is down a bit from it? Is there any way of avoiding it if you get the train into picadilly? Or is there anywhere else I can stay (cheap and cheerful ideally) that has decent links to Etihad?

Thanks in advance!

Joloh Mon 13-Jan-20 08:11:55

Anywhere on the tram is fine for Etihad. The centre of Manchester is actually pretty small and walkable anyway so you don't need to stay near Piccadilly to be able to get to the match. You can go all down Oxford Road, Deansgate, etc -- anywhere inside the ring road. If you look on the map, it's about a 10 - 12 minute walk between Picadilly Station and Victoria Station, to give you a sense of it.

anguauberwaldironfoundersson Mon 13-Jan-20 08:22:44

That premier Inn is fine. You're two minutes walk from the station to get the tram (only three stops to Etihad) and five minutes walk to Piccadilly Gardens/centre of Manchester for shopping and food.

icannotremember Mon 13-Jan-20 08:30:30

That hotel is fine, my mum and dad have used it a few times and my mum is a v nervous type. Tbh yes the gardens are a bit of a challenge these days but I was out with ds1 and ds3 just before xmas and we went through there at night and it wasn't quite the hellhole people describe.

That said literally anywhere in the tram network will be fine for the Etihad.

CliffsofMoherVisitor Mon 13-Jan-20 08:31:56

Whatever you do, do not stay at the Merchants Hotel. I stayed there once :D

I'm sure the Premier Inn will be fine

AlCalavicci Mon 13-Jan-20 08:41:24

I agree with PP, it's a very short walk to picadilly and you can either get the tram ( to Ashton) or a bus 216 , 230, 231 .
You are close to the northern quarter which has some great places to eat and drink.

Or you could try around media city there is a premier inn, holiday inn, and copthorn hotels. There are some nice places to eat and shop on the area.
If you want to come in from the other direction you could stay at the Lord Sheldon travel lodge . It has a tram station a very short walk away and will take about 15 mins to get to the football ground.

NeverTalksToStrangers Mon 13-Jan-20 19:05:00

Thanks folks. Looking at the map I see I can avoid the square if I go direct from the station to hotel. Are the surrounding streets a bit calmer?

EggysMom Mon 13-Jan-20 19:11:47

Do you want the city centre for food or anything? If not, you could check out the prices of the Ibis hotel on Pollard Street (Ancoats), it's midway between Piccadilly station and the New Islington tram stop (which is on the line to the Etihad). I walk past it every day, area seems fine.

Doobigetta Mon 13-Jan-20 19:11:49

Just avoid the Britannia chain, especially Sachas.
Piccadilly isn’t that bad. I wouldn’t choose to spend any time in the bars around there, but it isn’t too scary to walk through or anything like that.

edgeware Mon 13-Jan-20 19:16:30

Piccadilly isn’t that bad at all. Just follow along with the general foot traffic. You get some clumps of unsavoury characters but you wouldn’t be walking where they hang out. There’s lots of restaurants around there. It’s a safe city to walk in, don’t let stuff online put you off. People love moaning about piccadilly!

edgeware Mon 13-Jan-20 19:18:36

I second the Ibis on Pollard Street by the way, quiet and you can walk to Etihad from there (35-40 min). On match days that road is super busy with fans, easy to walk along with them.

NeverTalksToStrangers Mon 13-Jan-20 19:21:48

Oh I've read the reviews of the Sachas hotel! shock

We will need to go somewhere kid friendly for food, yes. That will probably mean city centre?

Ds1 and dh going to football on sat and stadium tour on Sunday. Myself and ds2 (8) aren't going to the match itself. Any suggestions as to what we can do when they are at football? Or all of us to do after the match? 5pm onwards.

BlueBell50 Mon 13-Jan-20 19:25:26

Another mention for the travelodge Ashton under Lyne next to Sheldon Arms and close to Ashton Moss Metrolink stop and the Village Ashton under Lyne near Ashton West stop. All on the same line from Piccadilly which also stops at Etihad. Piccadilly Gardens is not pretty but it isn’t a no-go area.

NeverTalksToStrangers Mon 13-Jan-20 19:28:50

It probably didn't help that it was part of a live news story just as I read all the bad press about it.shock 4 people being stabbed yesterday at 6:30pm outside primark isn't exactly filling me with confidence..

Squirrelblanket Mon 13-Jan-20 19:33:32

Piccadilly gardens is a relatively small space in a large city. Chill.

There's the football museum near Victoria Station, and the MOSI in Castlefield. Might be worth a look.

NeverTalksToStrangers Mon 13-Jan-20 19:41:58

Ashton under Lyne probably not an option. We're flying from Belfast so city centre probably easier.

Those museums definitely an option. Ds2 not the most patient though. He hated the museums in London. Football maybe more interesting than fossils though. smile

I would also be tempted to go to the cinema or something simple, but I'm kinda put off by the price. Cinemas over here SO much cheaper. Dunno.

lastqueenofscotland Mon 13-Jan-20 19:45:24

Picadilly gardens isn’t great but it’s hardly Harlem in the 80’s you’ll be fine.
All the films at the Vue in the Printworks are a fiver if you need something cheap to do and the football museum is free.

NeverTalksToStrangers Mon 13-Jan-20 19:49:16

Oh thanks.

Is that Vue cinema very small? Can only see 3 movies this sat?confused

ArfurianLegend Mon 13-Jan-20 19:49:20

A word of warning about taking the tram to the Etihad from the city centre before the game: it will get very crowded/ sometimes difficult to get on from St Peter's Sq onwards. I live in Castlefield and when I go to the game, I get on at Deansgate without a problem. Coming back into the centre, I always walk (about 40 mins). The roads are jammed, the trams are jammed, and it's probably quickest.

LunaAzul Mon 13-Jan-20 19:51:26

Don't forget to factor in them getting out of the ground and on the tram back to town after the game when thinking of your evening plans. We drive but the queues for the tram always look pretty long.

Definitely give the MoSI a go on Saturday if you're trying to find something to do. If you fancy hopping on a tram there's the War museum over at the Quays.

iklboo Mon 13-Jan-20 19:52:03

No Vue Printworks has 20+ screens.

littlebillie Mon 13-Jan-20 19:52:45

Jury's is nice

lastqueenofscotland Mon 13-Jan-20 19:52:56

I would definitely walk from town to the ground, it’s about half an hours walk and the tram is always a complete ordeal

NeverTalksToStrangers Mon 13-Jan-20 19:59:34

We're going to the grounds early (before 12) as we have tickets for the fanzone (myself and ds2 going to that), so I imagine it won't be too bad then (match at 3)?

NeverTalksToStrangers Mon 13-Jan-20 20:02:54

Ds2 is an arsenal supporter, hence why b he's not interested in going to the match. He'll probably wear one of his brothers city tops at the fanzone though. grin Hope it doesn't burn his skin...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »