Talk

Advanced search

Page 11 | Well I never knew that

(256 Posts)
Awwlookatmybabyspider Tue 07-Jan-20 11:15:04

Sharks are independent from birth. I always thought their mums took care of them but apparently not. blush
Anyone else got anything they were surprised to discover.

OP’s posts: |
Gingaaarghpussy Tue 24-Nov-20 13:56:14

I knew about tawny owls calls, simply because every year, in the early hours of the morning im woken by a very loud 'kerwick', that is shrieked several times. I wait for the too woo, but it doesn't always happen. The first is the female. What amazes me is that I live in a town centre opposite a churchyard, which is more like a park. So having tawny owls every year is awesome.

GerundTheBehemoth Tue 24-Nov-20 16:01:29

Gingaaarghpussy

I knew about tawny owls calls, simply because every year, in the early hours of the morning im woken by a very loud 'kerwick', that is shrieked several times. I wait for the too woo, but it doesn't always happen. The first is the female. What amazes me is that I live in a town centre opposite a churchyard, which is more like a park. So having tawny owls every year is awesome.

Males will also 'kerwick', and females will 'towhoo' sometimes. Females have higher-pitched and more raspy 'towhoo' hoots than males. There are some fab recordings of these and lots of other vocalisations here: soundapproach.co.uk/species/tawny-owl/

Judashascomeintosomemoney Tue 24-Nov-20 16:19:44

WokesFromHome

That University Challenge is not set up like a bunk bed.
Honestly, I really thought they were on top of each other and the top layer had to ask up some steps. I was both disappointed and surprised when I found out, which was quite recently!

Haha me too! I totally blame The Young Ones and Scumbag College for believing this falsehood! grin

Juliancantcope Tue 24-Nov-20 16:42:50

Fascinating! Thanks for owl facts Gerund!

highheeledhattie Sun 27-Dec-20 00:16:12

I didn't know that. Shan't feel so snotty next time I get emotional (happens a lot more often this year).

highheeledhattie Sun 27-Dec-20 00:44:09

Oops, so did I till reading this.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in