Talk

Advanced search

Someone I like and respect at work really hurt me at the Christmas party

(46 Posts)
BubblesTheOfficeWorker Sun 15-Dec-19 19:01:35

And to make it worse, they weren't meaning to do that, but I can't help but feel hurt about it anyway.

I've been working in the same place for 9 years and it is very tight knit. I'm 30 and I've never had a boyfriend. It does quite upset me and this time of year (plus the stupid 'thirtieth' thing) has been really hard.

An older woman I really look up to and respect kept bloody well going on about it and by god it hurt sad

Longtalljosie Sun 15-Dec-19 19:03:05

Was she pissed? flowers for you. It’s a horrid time of year to be long-term single. Bloody Mariah Carey...

FREEM Sun 15-Dec-19 19:03:15

ah doesn't sound good.
can you speak to her and explain how it made you feel and maybe chat .

itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted Sun 15-Dec-19 19:03:32

So how did they "hurt" you??

BubblesTheOfficeWorker Sun 15-Dec-19 19:05:53

Tipsy at most. I think I'm going to try and let it blow over because I hate drawing attention to myself.

Breastfeedingworries Sun 15-Dec-19 19:06:52

It’s a rough time of year to be single 😢 I’m in the same boat flowers

Ullupullu Sun 15-Dec-19 19:09:16

Why does she / anyone at work know about your private life that much? Rise above it and act like it doesn't bother you.

Emeraldshamrock Sun 15-Dec-19 19:12:08

She is a dick. There is more to life than being in a relationship.
Does she know it is a sore point for you? Was she pissed? She's probably mortified today, I expect she'll apologise.
Close knit companies and Christmas parties sting, I skipped mine, I don't give a shite if anyone talked about me.
The usual if you're not there your ears may burn.

AnFiadhRuaRua Sun 15-Dec-19 19:12:29

Yes sounds like she tried to tell you what you already know, as though that will help you.

She didn't say anything helpful either. If it does hurt you/bother you, she could have spoken about it with something helpful but not at the christmas party!

She might be really embarrassed thinking back over it.

BubblesTheOfficeWorker Sun 15-Dec-19 19:13:10

We've all worked together for at least 9 years so you do pick up on peoples' lives.

It's awful. She kept saying 'You'd be such a great mum, you need to start settling down' <wail> I want that more than anything.

BubblesTheOfficeWorker Sun 15-Dec-19 19:14:42

I am quite good at staying cheerful (I hope!), so I think they might have thought I was more up for discussing than I am.

AnFiadhRuaRua Sun 15-Dec-19 19:15:00

I hadn't had a serious relationship at 29/30
I wish I could go back and say to myself, have psychotherapy, research attachment styles. But instead I panicked and ''settled'' for a relationship that looked ok from the outside but I felt nothing (except later, fear)

8 sessions in psychotherapy and subscribe to Brianna McWilliams to research attachments styles..... that's what I would say to myself at 30 if I could.

Palavah Sun 15-Dec-19 19:16:27

First of all she could butt out of your business.
Secondly, she probably thought she was paying you a compliment and being helpful.
Thirdly, you're only 30. You have time to settle down and be a mum if that's what you want.

This is not a good time of year for rational thinking about this sort of thing, so just try to give yourself a bit of a reality check.

Wotrewelookinat Sun 15-Dec-19 19:19:51

Please don’t worry about being 30 and single. I was the same, then met my DH the following year. The only trouble is, once you meet someone and ‘settle down’ people feel they have a free reign to comment on your fertility, or lack of <sigh>

Emeraldshamrock Sun 15-Dec-19 19:21:13

We've all worked together for at least 9 years so you do pick up on peoples' lives
Same in my job, my main co worker, we know lots about each other, our DC, our partners, opposite sex.
In a small close knit company it becomes like your other family, there is 11 of us we are an off branch and all very close, I know nothing about anyone in head office so I'm not a nosey parker in general.

shivermetimbers77 Sun 15-Dec-19 19:21:19

Hi OP, that sounds really painful.. Just wondering, what sort of things did she go on about? Was it in a perhaps well-intentioned but clumsily stated "I cannot believe you're single, lets try to get you a partner" kind of way, or something more obviously cruel? The former is perhaps forgivable (although still worth having a chat about to let
her know it hurt), but the latter is out of order.

Ohpleasefuckofflove Sun 15-Dec-19 19:21:44

Oh OP It’s awful but at least she didn’t say it in such a way that you <couldn’t> get a boyfriend!

Ohpleasefuckofflove Sun 15-Dec-19 19:22:13

Uh oh wasn’t meant to be couldn’t

helpfulperson Sun 15-Dec-19 19:22:30

Or perhaps you dont want /won't have a relationship. That is far more common than most people realise. What i used to do to my sister in law when she did this was say something like 'the fact that i dont publicise my rampant sex life doesn't mean I don't have one' As it happens I don't but thats no-ones business but mine.

BubblesTheOfficeWorker Sun 15-Dec-19 19:27:04

Was it in a perhaps well-intentioned but clumsily stated "I cannot believe you're single, lets try to get you a partner" kind of way,

Yes, it was all well intentioned and kind but awful at the same time. It's just got to the point where I dread the 'seeing anyone, Bubbles?' question. Half of my family think I'm gay and the other half think I have a man in every port. Dreading Christmas fsad

Thank you for the recommendations, I will look Brianna McWilliam up.

Rainbowshine Sun 15-Dec-19 19:34:07

She made a tactless comment without thinking, probably. I would try to not focus on it. Work Christmas parties are hell, someone always does something that leaves you thinking WTF.

Patroclus Sun 15-Dec-19 19:42:52

Its a glorious time to be single. Do wtf you want dont have to put up with others shite family and TV.

Emeraldshamrock Sun 15-Dec-19 19:48:02

Shes probably jealous.
I spent most of my 20's single loving myself. I always bought myself an expensive gift, perfume, an over night stay every Christmas.
At nearly 40 now with 2 DC and a DP I am lucky if I buy myself a pair of Christmas slippers.

Rainbowshine Sun 15-Dec-19 19:50:18

After your last update I would just arm yourself with some bland responses to intrusive questions.

56Marshmallow Sun 15-Dec-19 19:55:06

I had only a handle if 2-3 month long relationships by the time I was 30.

Everyone else seemed to find it so easy! I've since discovered that I'm autistic and so it all makes sense now, the reason why I'm not like other people.

Anyway, I wanted to tell you I met someone at 33, had kids and are still together. Don't write yourself off yet!

I remember the loneliness at this time of year, in particular.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »