Talk

Advanced search

Unexpected bonus in new house - am beyond excited!

(75 Posts)
weehoo Tue 10-Dec-19 20:59:59

Have lived in a tall house on a small plot for years. Very little outside space, no parking or garage.

Just bought a doer-upper - it's built on a fairly steep hillside with lovely views. We viewed it in a bit of a hurry and had a quick look at the undercroft which wasn't really mentioned on the particulars. Saw a shed-sized room full of stuff and thought it would be useful for something.

Purchase is going through so I went back to the house yesterday to have a good look and to measure windows etc. Went back into the undercroft and realised it's a bloody warren of rooms! You can't stand up properly in some of them but they're all dry and clean and have power. The main room which I saw on first viewing is also way, way bigger than I remembered. Am almost embarrassed at how excited I am at the prospect of STORAGE. Also slightly tempted to put a trapdoor in the lounge and then the kids can disappear down there with their bloody felt pens and Barbie dolls

Midgey91 Tue 10-Dec-19 21:01:51

This sounds exciting!!! Would love to see the property of you don't mind sharing! I love looking at do-er up-ers!

GreenTulips Tue 10-Dec-19 21:02:00

It’s could catch on!

You could have a visitor switch by the front door and get rid of the kids as well as pens! Brilliant.

BikeRunSki Tue 10-Dec-19 21:02:26

I dream of plentiful storage. What a brilliant surprise.

dellacucina Tue 10-Dec-19 21:02:50

That's amazing!!! The UK is horrible for houses with storage.

NemophilistRebel Tue 10-Dec-19 21:03:20

The rooms with not enough room height could potentially be dug down into to form proper rooms if needed in future?

My previous house had this done

m00rfarm Tue 10-Dec-19 21:29:12

I thought you were going to say someone delivered a brand new Apple watch to your new house! (another poster on a thread today had their apple watch delivered to the wrong house and the shop doesn't want to sort it out for them ...)

weehoo Tue 10-Dec-19 21:35:18

@NemophilistRebel the main room is about 6.5ft high and might look at incorporating that into any extension we do, and will look into cost of digging out other rooms.

There's also room to extend at side and a huge unconverted loft with built in staircase (yet more storage!!)

And there's a garage too - we won't know ourselves!!

rhubarbcrumbles Tue 10-Dec-19 21:38:58

I'd have the visitor switch under the doormat to get rid of any that I didn't want grin

Is an undercroft a cellar? I've never heard that word before.

Troels Tue 10-Dec-19 21:42:28

6.5 feet high is plenty for the kids to have a wonderful playroom and store felt pens and barbies. I wonder if theres space upstairs to put a proper staircase in, so you don't need to go outside to access. You could have a utility room, space for the chistmas decs, an extra fridge freezer I'd be in so excited, and being only 4' 11'' I wouldn't bump my head.

PickAChew Tue 10-Dec-19 21:45:07

Somewhere to store the kids is always a bonus!

FredaFrogspawn Tue 10-Dec-19 21:45:16

Ha I bet you’ll fill every bit! And end up with no storage. You’ll have to move into a home with a barn next. Or a hanger.

sqirrelfriends Tue 10-Dec-19 21:48:04

Wow, this is my dream.

Kids will love playing hide and seek with that.

Phlewf Tue 10-Dec-19 21:51:33

I had this dream before we moved into our current house! There was a whole other floor I hadn’t spotted, including a library with ox blood wingbacks and a globe. Didn’t turn out to be true. I am very jealous op. You could have walls and walls of shelves all with labelled boxes. Swoon.

oncemorewithfeeling99 Tue 10-Dec-19 22:05:08

Loads of people have a playroom in the basement in America. Sounds like a great place to stash the kids!

oncemorewithfeeling99 Tue 10-Dec-19 22:05:51

Especially if they have a drum kit 😂

DingDongSchadenfreudeOnHigh Tue 10-Dec-19 22:12:04

I actually DREAM (literally) of finding an extra room/rooms in our house. It's ne of those dreams where you wake up and for a few moments think it is actually real. And then realise it's not . . .

. . . how I envy you!

You lucky duck! grin

GinandGingerBeer Tue 10-Dec-19 22:15:12

I've Never heard of an undercroft? I thought you meant some kind of underground garden grin
Is it a cellar?

minniemoll Tue 10-Dec-19 22:16:54

I found a loft I didn't know I'd got about a year after I moved in (well, I knew it was there, but thought that it was just a basic crawl space, it turned out to be boarded and I can stand up in most of it). A warren of cellars would be even more exciting!

I may dream of finding a cellar every so often, sadly it hasn't come true yet 😢

SnugglySnerd Tue 10-Dec-19 22:19:58

I've also had this dream! In my head there is this long room along the length of our house with an en suite bathroom. It is accessed by a second staircase. I have dreamt this several times and been disappointed to wake up and discover it's not there!

Enjoy your storage!

LittleLongDog Tue 10-Dec-19 22:21:51

I am genuinely so happy for you. When we were buying there kept being hints of a cellar (I’ve never found one unfortunately). When we moved in I kept dreaming about finding extra rooms.

T0tallyFuckedUpFamily Tue 10-Dec-19 22:31:29

I used to regularly dream of finding a room I didn’t know existed, but unfortunately it always terrified me in the dream. Thank feck that hasn’t come true! 😱 nervously counts doors

Rosere Tue 10-Dec-19 22:33:26

Am delighted for you. That's a great surprise.
You could put the Christmas tree there so you don't have to be arsed with all the packing and unravelling and just hoike it out upstairs already dressed every December 😂

Cherrysoup Tue 10-Dec-19 22:34:08

How fabulous! A mate recently dug out and extended their multiple cellar rooms, it’s absolutely amazing! They have their ginormous kitchen, an extra bathroom, spare bedroom/art room looking out onto the garden plus a family den/cinema room. Have fun thinking about what you’re going to do with it all.

Marmablade Tue 10-Dec-19 22:35:33

One of my brothers found this in his house. Fully boarded loft with power. Super jealous!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »