Talk

Advanced search

Colleges/ 6th forms in Manchester

(2 Posts)
user1468007267 Tue 03-Dec-19 06:36:37

So, it looks as they we may move to the Manchester area in the summer of 2021 from abroad. We will be looking for a good 6th form / college for my youngest who would be starting A-Levels. He has a pretty good idea of what he would like to study already. Is there somewhere I can go to compare colleges please? And do you need to live in a certain catchment area in order to apply please? Sorry for the silly questions, but haven't lived in the UK for a long, long time and am a bit lost. Thanks

BlueLadybird Tue 03-Dec-19 08:05:29

There are lots of good sixth forms in Manchester. Unless he wants a very unusual subject combination it would be worth considering where you’ll be living first (if you know).

Some may have a priority admissions area (some academies do) but broadly speaking students can apply anywhere and they won’t be admitted based on the number of feet from their front door to the school gate like in younger years. There may be subject/grade pre-requisites. If he isn’t doing GCSEs or an equivalent I’d suggest contacting them before the application. They may ask for a transcript from his current school.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »