Talk

Advanced search

Quick question - cats in or out all day?

(12 Posts)
Rockbird Tue 03-Dec-19 06:17:45

Two cats. DH usually works from home but he's away. We don't have a cat flap, just pander to their every whim. Today I have to be out from 7am to about 6pm. Yesterday was the same and I kept the cats in. What should I do today? It's super cold and one prefers to be curled up asleep anyway. Should I let the other one out, but she'll be out all day?

TulipCat Tue 03-Dec-19 06:28:47

It would be much easier to get a cat flap. We got one and have never looked back. They can be installed in most types of door/panel.

TheWinterCaillech Tue 03-Dec-19 06:30:48

In, it’s cold and they are not used to being shut out.

ExpletiveFairylighted Tue 03-Dec-19 06:33:34

In, you can let them out for a bit when you get home. It's too cold for them to be out all day. Assume you have litter trays?

Rockbird Tue 03-Dec-19 06:44:25

Oh yes, litter trays, wet food, biscuits etc. And many comfy places.

We would get a cat flap but we'd need to change our back door (which does need changing tbf) first. And as DH works from home it doesn't usually make a difference.

Youngatheart00 Tue 03-Dec-19 06:45:57

In, its too cold for them to be out all day with no means of getting in.

doxxed Tue 03-Dec-19 06:47:58

My friend has a cat hutch outside, but I would just keep them in for the day, it's freezing! I'd rather have grumpy, bored cats than miserable cold cats.

Rockbird Tue 03-Dec-19 06:51:43

Thanks all. That's what I thought. Girlcat was super pissed off with me yesterday evening. I've never seen a cat glare before grin. But they were warm and cosy.

SimonJT Tue 03-Dec-19 07:03:12

Definitely in.

Do you not know that cats are royalty!!!!

violetbunny Tue 03-Dec-19 07:06:14

Get onto the cat flap ASAP! Ours are in and out all day. I don't like shutting them out because they get chased by the neighbours cats, so I want them to be able to retreat somewhere safe (ours has a microchip scanner). But they'd go crazy with boredom if we locked them in.

bengalcat Tue 03-Dec-19 07:08:30

In until you get a cat flap .

YesItsMeIDontCare Tue 03-Dec-19 07:12:36

Local street cat, whose preference is "out", has just trotted out of my neighbour's house and across the road. In the time it took me to say good morning (and comment on the weather, obvs) he had reappeared and trotted back in.

So I think that is a resounding vote for "in".

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »