Talk

Advanced search

Possible MS?

(19 Posts)
Oncemoreinthenameof Mon 02-Dec-19 22:53:19

Please tell me I'm over-worrying.
For the last two weeks I've had numbness, pins and needles/nerve pain in the hands & feet. Overall weakness in my limbs but especially hands. I've also had some vision disturbances.

My GP has booked me in for various tests, and said he wanted to rule out anything serious but didn't give me any names....but I saw something that on one of the bits of paper for a test, that when I looked it up was relating to MS. Now I've Dr googled it and my symptoms look similar and I'm freaking out. I'm also genuinely struggling to do normal things, and pretty exhausted but carrying on as best I can.

Please tell me all the other things, that are easily solvable, it might be.

dontgobaconmyheart Tue 03-Dec-19 01:44:46

MS shares symptoms with dozens of illnesses OP, ranging from other chronic illnesses such as fibromyalgia or ME to simple things like stress or a severe b12 deficiency. I really wouldn't fixate on MS, stress makes most illness worse. Easier said than done, I know.

If the GP seriously was wanting to rule out MS specifically you would be referred to neurology for an urgent MRI which would (in most cases) confirm or deny it.

RonaldMcDonald Tue 03-Dec-19 01:53:56

Could be anything, see a Dr

Silvercatowner Tue 03-Dec-19 06:09:42

see a Dr

Fucksake @RonaldMcDonald read the OP.

@Oncemoreinthenameof I hope your GP gives you swift answers.

Bluesheep8 Tue 03-Dec-19 06:09:55

MS can initially present like lots of other things, including vitamin deficiencies and even some types of migraine. I was diagnosed with MS 20 years ago and my very first symptom was optic neuritis, no initial presence of numbness or pins and needles. I then began to have balance/vertigo type problems. MS is not necessarily as described on Google. In my case, 20 years on, I am working full time as I always have and have never been prescribed any drugs. Everyone's experience is different and I just wanted to share mine, incase it helps.

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Tue 03-Dec-19 06:13:27

I have had optic neuritis since May, and have suffered from vertigo since my late teens. I'm still at the hospital once a month or so for tests to check that my eye is improving, but MRI showed "low chance of MS". Good luck OP.

Oncemoreinthenameof Tue 03-Dec-19 08:38:57

@dontgobaconmyheartI have been referred for an MRI, appointment has come through for the end of next week. Also having ECG and blood tests.

@mynameisnotmichaelcaine thank you.

@Bluesheep8 thank you. Good to know a positive story even in the ‘worst case’

RonaldMcDonald Tue 03-Dec-19 08:53:39

@Silvercatowner I did - excellent advice
I didn’t want to add to her concerns by spitballing about what it might mean. Going back to her GP and discussing her fears with them makes it much easier for her to talk sense to someone who can actually explain their thinking and be of some help

Oncemoreinthenameof Tue 03-Dec-19 09:02:47

My GP is doing all they need to do. I will see them once the tests are back. I’m just after some personal experiences to tide me through the wait. I don’t think it would be a great use of my GPs time to book another appointment just to say I’m a bit worried. They can’t tell me anything until the tests are back.

RockinHippy Tue 03-Dec-19 09:53:57

Definitely push fir a trial of B12 injections as undiagnosed B12 deficiency/pernicious anaemia can be misdiagnosed as MS.

I only realised with my own journey to PA diagnosis & similarity to my DMs symptoms (who had MS) that they were so similar & once I knew about B12d & had to research to get my DD treat, my DMs horror stories about being force fed liver milkshakes as a young teen, meant she was actually diagnosed back then, but had too much trust in her doctors to follow up o that as an adult. She also had Ehlers Danlos as do DD & I, but that was only diagnosed shortly before she died as her doctors took an interest in my DD having various injuries when we visited DM & they checked & diagnosed her. So my DMs MS was actually untreated B12d & hEDS

RockinHippy Tue 03-Dec-19 09:57:40

If your GP says your B12 is normal, get a copy of your results. Diagnosis can be a post code lottery at best, at worst missed complete by ignorant docks. Mine was missed for 14 years & I was misdiagnosed with fibromyalgia instead

RockinHippy Tue 03-Dec-19 09:59:17

Ahh, sorry, I meant to add this link. All the B12 info you need is here in one place & a link to the support groups who helped me push fir DDs B12 injections, the injections that got her out of a wheelchair in under 2 weeks...

https://www.b12deficiency.info/signs-and-symptoms/

Oncemoreinthenameof Tue 03-Dec-19 12:48:33

Thanks. I’ve just heard via telephone call that my blood test results are all normal except cholesterol (which runs in the family and I presume is entirely unrelated). To be honest I’m really upset as had pinned my hopes on it probably being a vitamin deficiency or thyroid.

RockinHippy Tue 03-Dec-19 13:04:32

@Oncemoreinthenameof do have a good look at the link I posted below. B12 can give a false negative result up to 50% of tge time. They can't rule it out until they have given you a trial loading dose of B23 injections & it doesn't help you. NICE guidelines say that, though unfortunately there are a shocking amount of doctors who don't know that & need a push.

If it's even possibly B12d, you need to push hard for treatment as not having treatment when needed can be disabling & life threatening. All explained in the link.

FTR, I get the burning nerve pain you describe too, so does DD. It goes after we have our B12 injections & comes back when we need more

RockinHippy Tue 03-Dec-19 13:05:45

B12, not 23. !!

Stupid App has me typing blind lately angry

RockinHippy Tue 03-Dec-19 13:06:50

This is from the NHS web page on B12...

Oncemoreinthenameof Tue 03-Dec-19 13:17:00

Thanks will raise it with my GP once the other tests are done.

RockinHippy Tue 03-Dec-19 13:34:13

Good luck x

Bluesheep8 Tue 03-Dec-19 15:15:10

Wishing you all the best op

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »