Talk

Advanced search

Presents under the tree

(74 Posts)
DappledThings Mon 02-Dec-19 18:39:37

When I was small Father Christmas only ever brought stocking presents. No pretence that anything else was from anyone other than who it was from so no other presents were hidden and went under the tree as soon as they were wrapped.

DH's family were the same and our tree us up now with a good few presents underneath.

It's only in the age of social media I've realised that for some families FC brings everything and even if the actual present giver is credited FC still delivers them so they don't appear until Christmas morning.

Are we really unusual in having presents already there? I'm just curious!

Viebienremplie Mon 02-Dec-19 18:43:54

We do it the same way as you. No way I’m letting FC have all the glory!

EmpressJewel Mon 02-Dec-19 18:45:04

FC only brings stockings in this house.

Themazeoflife Mon 02-Dec-19 18:45:48

Just the small cheap stocking fillers from Santa.

All other presents come from whoever bought and gifted them.

Seeline Mon 02-Dec-19 18:46:39

FC just did stockings, but presents only go under the tree in Christmas Eve. When DC are small the temptation to poke and prod is far too great.

I also don't like having all the presents on display for days - our tree is always in the front room and easily visible. I wouldn't want to encourage burglars.

cheeseismydownfall Mon 02-Dec-19 18:48:30

Likewise FC only brings stockings, and we don't take it very seriously at all (am actually shocked and slightly alarmed that youngest DC(7) appears to believe, despite our slapdash approach)

GertiMJN Mon 02-Dec-19 18:49:59

We do the same as you but don't put presents out till Christmas Eve night.

OhMyDarling Mon 02-Dec-19 18:50:43

FC brings everything.
I value the magic over ‘the glory’.

cheeseismydownfall Mon 02-Dec-19 18:50:51

To add, I do think it is problematic to justify why father Christmas brings more presents for some children in the world than others. Hence sticking to stockings and not taking it too seriously.

ParkheadParadise Mon 02-Dec-19 18:51:16

Santa brings the main presents here. Presents under the tree are from family and friends. Dd has been known to have a look at the presents under the tree when she thinks your not looking.

gamerwidow Mon 02-Dec-19 18:51:44

We always had presents delivered Christmas morning even as older children who no longer believed. I do the same with DD, partly because she would spend every waking second touching her presents and obsessing about whats under the paper and partly because I have a cat who loves to chew paper and would have those presents open in minutes.

RaininSummer Mon 02-Dec-19 18:54:11

I had never heard about the big red chap bringing all gifts until I read it on here. Serms odd to me and does lead to questions about fairness amongst children I would think. Also, what hapoens when a relative or friend bring a gift later?

teenageanxy Mon 02-Dec-19 18:54:44

Fc o my brings stocking but as I don't like presents hanging around all month they appear Xmas eve.
We normally haven't wrapped them until then.

Dandelion1993 Mon 02-Dec-19 18:55:34

There is no way I'm letting "santa" get all the bloody credit!

blackteaplease Mon 02-Dec-19 18:55:42

Santa brings he stockings and 1 gift. But uo to last year we put all presents out on xmas eve to avoid small children being tempted. Last year for the first time we put some gifts under the tree before xmas and will probably do the same again this year x

Aroundtheworldin80moves Mon 02-Dec-19 18:55:51

Space. It's easier to have presents out of the way in boxes than being trip hazards in the living room. Most people have limited space.

Presents do come from people, but there is something magical about them appearing overnight.

blibblibs Mon 02-Dec-19 18:57:12

Tree went up yesterday and already has presents under it.
Santa brings a stocking and a few other gifts but everything else is from the giver who drops them off when they can or they arrive in the post. Presents from us go under the tree when I can be arsed wrapping them. I've done DM and hers are under the tree but not DC yet as I haven't bought anything bar stocking fillers so far 😔

BertieBotts Mon 02-Dec-19 18:59:03

We had a kind of mix. Some presents would be there in the lead up and then magically overnight stockings would fill and the pile would multiply! My mum would put away the presents from our cousins, grandparents etc to keep some back. Some of the tree presents would also be labelled as from santa /FC, with some from parents.

FrangipaniBlue Mon 02-Dec-19 19:03:15

FC only brings presents from mam and dad in our house - the rest go under the tree or are there to be opened at PILs when we go round for lunch.

When I was a child though I never saw a single present until Christmas morning - how my parents managed it in a 2 bed bungalow is beyond me!!!!

FinallyHadTheTalk Mon 02-Dec-19 19:06:10

Santa only brings sticking in our house, but we usually only put presents under the tree on Christmas Eve due to lack of space! We only had a 2' fake tree for years.
We have a bit more room now (and our first real tree last year), so I'm going to to try to get the wrapping done earlier and will put them under the tree as I go.
I find the 'all presents from Santa' thing deeply weird, but each to their own!

Elbeagle Mon 02-Dec-19 19:08:31

Santa brings stocking and one present here, everything else is from the gift giver.
Nothing goes under the tree until Christmas Eve though! I have 2 small children, a crawling baby and a dog. Nothing would survive!

Gertie75 Mon 02-Dec-19 19:08:38

Father Christmas brings all the presents, dd's are 4 and 6 and for them the magic is seeing the presents appear under the tree on Christmas morning, it's only 1 day a year they get to believe in the magic, birthdays and treat days are for presents off other people.

Nousernameforme Mon 02-Dec-19 19:09:15

Other people's presents under the tree. Ours come out xmas eve once they are in bed stockings go up before I go to sleep as my older dc are always still awake

Elbeagle Mon 02-Dec-19 19:10:58

Oh and also for space reasons... haven’t really got room for a Christmas tree, all the presents, 3 children and a dog in our living room for longer than we can help!

hopeishere Mon 02-Dec-19 19:15:38

My kids don't get lots of presents from other people. Just three other people. And they see them on the day to get them.

We get them a present for show. And then Santa brings the stocking and the other presents.

It was the same when I was a child.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »