Talk

Advanced search

True Crime Podcast

(77 Posts)
ladyjpod Mon 02-Dec-19 15:36:02

Hey guys,

So I started a true crime podcast (I'm not here to advertise) about 2 months ago.

I'm a huge fan of plenty of pods, many of which are UK based and was wondering- do you guys listen?

What do you do when listening- I'm generally cleaning or working.

I wanted to know who your favourites are and what you pet hates are. Also what kind of cases do you guys listen too.

CoolcoolcoolcoolcoolNoDoubt Mon 02-Dec-19 16:39:37

I listen to They Walk Among Us - I started it on holiday this year, lots of driving and laying around the pool, I listened to it then. Now I listen when walking anywhere, on lunch at work, or during my commute.

ladyjpod Mon 02-Dec-19 17:33:20

Oh I love they walk among us- have you read the book?

SandyClawsIsComingToTown Mon 02-Dec-19 17:37:31

I’ve been listening to My Favorite Murder when I walk the dog at night. Unfortunately it makes me freak out that anyone else out walking is a serial killer but it does make me go faster! There’s usually a good 20 mins of twaddle at the start though which I skip.

supercalifragilistic123 Mon 02-Dec-19 17:40:26

My favourite British one is redhanded, they mostly pick cases I've never heard of and they put their own spin on it. It's the right mix of comedy, political and wider cultural awareness.

I also love casefile for the fantastic story telling.

I can't stand too much waffle, and the story has got to be easy to follow as I'm always doing something else whilst listening.

I did used to listen to other British podcasts such as they walk among us and uk true crime, but for me they just can't compete with the ones I've mentioned and the brilliant wondery podcasts.

user1019273703 Mon 02-Dec-19 17:40:38

I love listening whilst I am cleaning. Ive listened to dr death, dirty john, the teachers pet, the clearing and the fred and rose west tapes. All of which have been really interesting.

ladyjpod Mon 02-Dec-19 17:41:22

I've never listened to them, I know I should- they are one of those that are pioneers in the genre.

Nothing like a little panic to get you moving faster- especially in this cold.

I do double check all my doors now since I've been researching more crimes for the podcast

MintedLamb Mon 02-Dec-19 17:42:41

RedHanded is my favourite. Love casefile and crime junkie too, am disappointed that I'm up to date with all of them now so I need to wait for new episodes every week.
Serial season one was great too.

ladyjpod Mon 02-Dec-19 17:43:46

I'm going to get onto these a little more actually. I've had the same rotation of pods for a few months as they've been my favourites so I'll add in some of these suggestions.

I feel that a lot of people don't like the more indie ones like UK true crime, don't know whether that's because the production backing isn't there or what

Casefile is always a good listen though

lastqueenofscotland Mon 02-Dec-19 18:00:26

Unheard: the Fred and rose west tapes is really really good and I usually find true crime podcasts a bit voyeristic

supercalifragilistic123 Mon 02-Dec-19 18:05:23

I just found uk true crime a bit boring compared to the others. He was ok in the beginning but when everybody else jumped on the bandwagon they all did it much better.

For me it was too short as well, not enough detail. However I did like the way he gave details about the day he was referring to such as no1 in the charts.

Casefile has a massive production with a team of writers. The story podcasts are made over months with huge amounts of research. It's hard for an independent set up to compete in what is now a very flooded market.

Ilovethekitties Mon 02-Dec-19 18:09:34

It isn't UK but 'Cold' was fantastic. It went in depth through the disappearance of Susan Powell and the failures in the US system that allowed the main suspect and husband, Joshua Powell, free to eventually kidnap, stab and burn his two young sons and then commit suicide. Very sad story, the amount of heartbreak that man inflicted.

QuietlyFuming Mon 02-Dec-19 18:12:51

I generally listen to podcasts when I’m cleaning or commuting. Love true crime ones especially They Walk Among Us.

Couldn’t stick UK True Crime though - the presenter’s monotone voice and unfunny jokes ruined it for me.

Clutterbugsmum Mon 02-Dec-19 18:20:11

I quite like Crime after Crime. They only release one podcast a month on the 1st. It's John Lordan and Danelle Hallen and they have a do a 'lighter' for want of a better description side of crime.

KevinsCarter Mon 02-Dec-19 18:23:30

I like True Crime Enthusiast, True Crime All The Time and it's unsolved sister, Red Handed, Seeing Red (but sometimes their facts could do with more research.), I quite like UK True Crime and sometimes They Walk Among Us, but the background music annoys me. Casefile can be good.

I really like Outlines Podcast. The lady that does it really works hard on it and episodes are few and far between.

So, from me...

No background music when you are talking. Make sure your geographical info is spot on. Try to add something new to well known cases, I like to hear your theories. I will always skip any waffle at the start/end. If there's anything you need me to know, write it in the show notes.

And finally, message me your podcast name.

lolaflores Mon 02-Dec-19 18:24:46

A killa no filla... it waffles but funny.
No one does it better than Georgia and Karen. I love drunk Karen and they make me do little wees of laughter.

Last Podcast on the left is mad and not for the sensitive. And I love their cult episodes. I would Ben Kissel.

I have just found red handed and its brilliant.

lolaflores Mon 02-Dec-19 18:26:14

Ans thanks for all the recommendations. I get so much done with a good podcast. Ik lime a wind up toty. Put on a podcast and I just wont stop but the mi the it finishes, o just shut down and lie o the couch

Ilovethekitties Mon 02-Dec-19 18:29:27

@lolaflores I think Ben is the worst one in the most hilarious way. He says things that are so un-funny and out of sync with the other two I cant help but laugh from the awkwardness.

I would agree with Last Podcast on the Left, but if you're easily offended listen from episode 100 onwards, the jokes before this will offend people with a lighter sense of humour.

andthentherewere Mon 02-Dec-19 18:34:17

I've just got into true crime podcasts and am enjoying they walk among us and RedHanded. Slightly off topic for true crime but also like Autopsy.
Would like to checkout out your podcast if your willing to share the title?

Cruddles Mon 02-Dec-19 18:34:56

I can't stand the guy who does Casefile. Talks.... Too..... Slowly..... And..... With.... Too... Many.... Adjectives

MooominMamma Mon 02-Dec-19 18:37:51

I'm listening to My Favourite Murder, I listen when walking to / from work and doing the housework or in the car by myself.

ladyjpod Mon 02-Dec-19 18:38:36

I haven't listened to redhanded since last Oct I don't think- not sure why but it just kinda fell off my radar a bit. @KevinsCarter true crime enthusiast is my favourite of the lot! I was actually a fan of his blog before the pod.

I've listened to a few of lpotl- my brother really likes it but I couldn't get into it.

Has anyone listened to Cambo over at true crime island. I think it's brilliant.

I'm still early days mind so if you guys would like to know what it is and give some feedback that would be lovely. Still trying to find my voice though.

CoolcoolcoolcoolcoolNoDoubt Mon 02-Dec-19 19:08:55

I listened to about ten minutes of my favourite murder and found them so annoying I turned off 😳 I also didn’t finish Serial.. my pet peeve is listening to hours of podcast and then realising they don’t know who did it and I feel like it’s such a waste of my time.

abouttime2 Mon 02-Dec-19 19:18:01

I listen to true crime garage. It's American but they do cover uk cases too. Mainly when driving to work, or doing housework.

Could I ask the name of your one to have a listen ?

ladyjpod Mon 02-Dec-19 19:29:42

So mine is called Lady Justice True Crime.

Short episodes 20-40 mins, UK cases, I do a monthly bite size one too as a bonus.

Most of the cases are generally unknown cases unless I get a listener request

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »