Talk

Advanced search

What has happened to Keir Starmer?

(40 Posts)
ihateryansworld Mon 02-Dec-19 14:59:05

I'd have thought given the Labour leaders lack of popularity that he would be used to front the campaign. But instead he has completely disappeared.

Has something happened to him?

MatildeHidalgo Mon 02-Dec-19 15:00:08

I was thinking the same thing, OP!

missclimpson Mon 02-Dec-19 15:01:39

From his Twitter feed he is doing a lot of campaigning, but doesn't seem to be doing much with the leadership. Bizarre.

ACautionaryTale Mon 02-Dec-19 15:02:10

Probably doesnt want to be associated with the shit show that is the leadership and is keeping his slate clean for the aftermath of the election.

MatildeHidalgo Mon 02-Dec-19 15:02:45

Labour should have him up front in the media!

Orchidflower1 Mon 02-Dec-19 15:03:11

I think he’ll campaign for leader himself after the election.

Lllot5 Mon 02-Dec-19 15:05:08

After the election if the conservatives get a majority he’ll stand for leader I reckon. So trying to put space between them now.

MatildeHidalgo Mon 02-Dec-19 15:05:30

I'd hope he'd be too loyal to Labour and the country not to put his heart and soul into keeping the Tories out now.

kingsassassin Mon 02-Dec-19 15:07:23

I read that he was too pro-remain and metropolitan and had been shelved now that labour is trying to win back leavers.

ihateryansworld Mon 02-Dec-19 15:49:57

I like him. I think Labour missed a trick not replacing Corbin with Starmer before this nightmare began.

MatildeHidalgo Mon 02-Dec-19 16:41:31

How can they do that?

leckford Mon 02-Dec-19 16:56:12

After they lose, again, I expect he hope to take over. However I believe the leadership is controlled by momentum so who knows?

Charmlight Mon 02-Dec-19 17:04:49

I have read that he doesn’t want the leadership - hopefully he’ll change his mind. They won’t be getting my vote until they’ve become more moderate.

Solihooley Mon 02-Dec-19 17:08:05

I was thinking the same. I assume he’s campaigning in his constituency? I don’t know why all the campaigns are so ‘leader focused’. Kier Starmer is so great, I always agree with everything he says and I think he’d appeal to a wider audience.

Redshoeblueshoe Mon 02-Dec-19 17:10:36

I was wondering where is Diane Abbott. And Rees Mogg ?

CendrillonSings Mon 02-Dec-19 17:10:56

Labour’s Brexit policy is such a confused, deceptive mess that they won’t put their Shadow Brexit Secretary in front of the cameras...

Obviouspretzel Mon 02-Dec-19 17:49:05

What's confused about it? They've made it perfectly clear.

MarieG10 Mon 02-Dec-19 17:53:47

Apparently him and Thornberry don't go down well with northern working class Brexit voters. As they have been identified as key voters for Labour they have banned those two from media appearances on national TV. That's why the likes of Rebecca Long-Bailey have been rolled out to represent as she has a working class accent. Shallow really but apparently it works and people get swayed that Labour is going back to its roots!

marvellousnightforamooncup Mon 02-Dec-19 18:39:59

He came up to campaign with my local Labour candidate last week.

tilder Mon 02-Dec-19 18:44:28

What ACautionaryTale said.

Sadly I also think a moderate labour mp has no chance in the party with Momentum.

We're fucked either way. Hard right Brexit (Farage by the back door). Or communism in corduroy. What a choiceconfused

noodlenosefraggle Mon 02-Dec-19 18:46:51

I was wondering where is Diane Abbott. And Rees Mogg ?
Rees-Mogg has been benched for obvious reasons. I suspect Diane Abbott has been too, because of her gaffe about the police number last election campaign. To be fair, I've only seen Corbyn, McDonnell and Rebecca Long-Bailey having any prominence nationally. I also wonder why Nicola Sturgeon is doing all the SNP campaigning when Ian Blackford is the leader of the party at Westminster?

UrsulaPandress Mon 02-Dec-19 18:47:45

Such a shame. The more I see of Emily Thornberry the happier I am.

museumum Mon 02-Dec-19 18:49:26

He’s popped up in my constituency to campaign with my mp.

EnthusiasmIsDisturbed Mon 02-Dec-19 18:50:15

He is not part of the inner circle as he is more to the centre

And he is sensibly waiting in the wings keeping his head down little like Theresa May did during Brexit campaign and Boris Johnson in the last six months of May’s leadership

I’m sure it’s happened to other party leaders too

MatildeHidalgo Mon 02-Dec-19 18:51:44

I also wonder why Nicola Sturgeon is doing all the SNP campaigning when Ian Blackford is the leader of the party at Westminster?

Because Blackford is such a windbag.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »