Talk

Advanced search

light presents

(25 Posts)
IamAporcupine Mon 02-Dec-19 00:22:40

We are spending Christmas abroad with my in-laws. We will also meet other extended family, but not really close. We usually take chocolates/drinks as presents and distribute them there as and when we meet someone, but this is very impractical as our luggage ends up being too heavy.

Can you suggest other nice/affordable/unisex but mainly lighter things we could take? Have the same problem every year!
Thanks a lot

greenlynx Mon 02-Dec-19 00:34:41

Whittard tea gifts, or basically any tea gifts with smaller boxes/ caddies.
It depends of course on which country you are visiting, age of your relatives, their interests, etc.

dreichXmas Mon 02-Dec-19 00:36:28

Percy pigs for younger relatives. Fancy crisps are light and hard to find in some countries.

Leeds2 Mon 02-Dec-19 01:05:58

Tea towels with pictures of your hometown on.
Flavoured popcorn.

Leeds2 Mon 02-Dec-19 01:06:15

Marshmallows.

Chocmallows Mon 02-Dec-19 01:10:38

Tea towels are a genius idea.

BarbaraofSeville Mon 02-Dec-19 04:36:31

Tea towels are a genius idea

But not really a present are they? Most adults with their own home will already have more tea towels and other household items than they could ever need.

Would you like to receive a tea towel? Perhaps the OP could make up a hamper with a washing up brush and dishcloth as well?

OP if any of these relatives are from the UK is there anything that they can't get easily or reasonably priced where they are now that they might appreciate? Or could you buy them gifts when you get there?

IamAporcupine Mon 02-Dec-19 08:14:54

@greenlynx - yes, tea is the only light gift we usually take. Forgot to mention it.

@BarbaraofSeville - that made me laugh. I saw a very nice tea towel the other day and thought of buying it and then got to the same conclusion as you - who would really want to receive this as a present?

Additional info -
Country is a latinoamerican country
All locals.
No time to buy when we get there, but also don't think about them as Christmas present, more as a simple gift 'brought from the UK'. We would do the same at any time of the year.

marymungoandminge Mon 02-Dec-19 09:03:23

Don't give people a tea towel (are you my DH?)

Flower seeds are small and light, but I guess you would have to check the customs regulations first!

fatulousatforty Mon 02-Dec-19 09:19:10

Order presents of Amazon to your in-laws house so they are there when you arrive

IamAporcupine Mon 02-Dec-19 09:22:36

I'd love flower seeds but I don't think they will be very impressed I'm afraid.

Ages - most of them in their 50-60s
One couple of their 30s.
Two 8yo, one teenager

IamAporcupine Mon 02-Dec-19 09:26:02

@fabulousatforty - that's a great idea for 'proper' presents, thanks!
But I don't think I could get the UK range delivered there, I think it must be the American

ColdRainAgain Mon 02-Dec-19 09:38:05

Not unisex, but scarves - not the woolly ones!
Book depository does free, world wide shipping - order soon, it can take time to arrive.
British sweets are often popular in the US. I dont know about further south.
Heavy - Xmas cake.
Football tops grin

Check customs carefully if you change your mind and go down the seeds route.

greenlynx Mon 02-Dec-19 10:07:41

My relatives would send me back with tea towels and flower seeds. Tbh they wouldn’t even be impressed with sweets so depends on relatives ...
How about gifts from places like National trust shops ? They usually have things which are very British.

Kalim8 Mon 02-Dec-19 10:19:09

Calenders
Coasters

I get teatowels to take as gifts abroad, but pretty ones! I've also taken fancy soaps and small candles (who knows, maybe the recipients are saying FFS!), does anyone collect small things you could add to (such as thimbles?) souvenir teaspoons? Christmas decorations (embroidered local landmark types?), CDs?

IamAporcupine Mon 02-Dec-19 10:28:03

@ColdRainAgain - thanks, yes, have done scarves for my MIL before. Maybe I could buy a couple of those for th eother women.
Book depository - not sure if they have anything in Spanish?
Football tops is a good idea.
What type of Brittish sweets are you thinking of?

@greenlynx - good idea, will try that.

@Kalim8 - oh yesss, thanks, great ideas.
No collectors though.

ColdRainAgain Mon 02-Dec-19 10:37:20

Never looked for Spanish, but book depository do have a range of other titles in various languages, so worth looking at, if you think it could work.

Percy pigs, fruit pastilles, chocolate orange and whispa/aero if the weather will take it, drumsticks, jelly babies. Ignore if similar can be found locally!

Elbeagle Mon 02-Dec-19 10:46:38

Tea towels are a genius idea

Really?! I’d struggle to muster up any enthusiasm if anyone bought me a tea towel for Christmas...

Second the Amazon idea. DH’s family live abroad and come here for Christmas and they send the presents to arrive before they do through amazon.

IamAporcupine Mon 02-Dec-19 10:56:46

@ColdRainAgain - mhm, not sure about the books, mainly because I will end up buying something they can get there anyway? Sweets are a good idea though.

And I just had another one myself - gloves!

Chocmallows Tue 03-Dec-19 08:15:19

I still say tea towels as the English heritage and charities do some fun/interesting ones and after Christmas they serve a purpose. Unlike all the tat and plastic that is often given! (How many of us are given gloves, scarves, shower gel and ornaments that we aren't keen most years?)

Elbeagle Tue 03-Dec-19 08:49:21

I would always rather have gloves and scarves than a tea towel!
I rarely use them anyway... we have a dishwasher, and I take the stuff out of there when it’s dry and put it away! No use for tea towels.

EspressoX10 Tue 03-Dec-19 11:21:47

I have loads of family in South America (Brazil) and they all absolutely love warm UK winter clothes and accessories.

It's the oddest thing, but they say British scarves/gloves/hats are snugglier and warmer than the ones available locally.

IamAporcupine Tue 03-Dec-19 12:29:21

@EspressoX10 - I second that!

dreichXmas Tue 03-Dec-19 12:49:23

Maybe consider luxury socks for some people? Or pj's?
We used to fly to Miami to buy our clothes a couple of times a year as did many of our friends when we lived in Latan thinking about it.

Mindgone Tue 03-Dec-19 13:20:01

I have Middle Eastern friends and relatives who love hot water bottles, thermal underwear, fleece lined tights, gloves, scarves, hot chocolate, chocolate bars, chocolate biscuits (chocolate digestives went down particularly well!), scented candles. Not all light, but we took wheely hand luggage too, which helped. They always want tea bags too!
It’s a warm country, but gets colder in the winter, and they have no central heating.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »