Talk

Advanced search

David Baddiels comment about Corbyn

(383 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Minionoftheantichrist Wed 20-Nov-19 11:14:46

I’ve looked for a thread about this but can’t see one.
David Baddiel picked up that on the leaders debate Corbyn pronounced Epstein in a way that made it sound more Jewish ie Epshteen as opposed to Epsteen. He said every Jew will have noticed this and that it’s another example of Corbyns antisemitism.

I’m Jewish. I’m no fan of Corbyn but really hadn’t noticed this and even now David Baddiel has pointed it out, am struggling to see this as an example of antisemitism. Am I missing something here? Is this antisemitic?

Haworthia Wed 20-Nov-19 11:15:22

I noticed it and I’m not Jewish. I think David has a point.

Breathlessness Wed 20-Nov-19 11:17:51

I’m not Jewish and I noticed it too.

TheQueef Wed 20-Nov-19 11:18:13

Is that the best he can do?
Scraping the barrel a bit.

Saucery Wed 20-Nov-19 11:19:15

It was very obvious and Johnson pronounced it very clearly in the way we are used to hearing it. I also think DB has a point.

EssentialHummus Wed 20-Nov-19 11:19:29

Another Jew here. I can't get worked up about this. It's not like he came out, shrugged his shoulders and said oy vey, this verkakte Boris is a real veytik in de haltz.

With all the things these two pillocks have done, this really doesn't register.

Saucery Wed 20-Nov-19 11:21:38

Was he maybe just trying too hard to pronounce it in a way he considers ‘properly’?

Ironfloor269 Wed 20-Nov-19 11:22:14

Scraping the barrel alright.

So what's wrong with pronouncing a Jewish name in a Jewish pronunciation? I really don't get it.

HeyMissyYouSoFine Wed 20-Nov-19 11:22:37

I think it adds to a pattern of behavior - rather than saying anything by it's self.

DriftingLeaves Wed 20-Nov-19 11:23:17

He has a point.

Bunnybigears Wed 20-Nov-19 11:24:22

Genuinely confused how does pronouncing a Jewish name in a Jewish way make you anti Jewish?

RaymondStopThat Wed 20-Nov-19 11:25:01

I noticed it, and also thought that Boris emphasised the other pronunciation afterwards, as if to make a point. They really are an unlikeable pair.

Breathlessness Wed 20-Nov-19 11:26:11

He does have the look of one of those people who would insist on using the correct Spanish pronunciation when ordering tapas in Croydon.

CatInTheDaytime Wed 20-Nov-19 11:26:53

I noticed it, he actually said Ep-shtine which is how it would originally be said in German. While I massively dislike Corbyn and despair over Labour's antisemitism issues, I took it as typical Corbynesque out-of-touchness and insularity, i.e. he hasn't bothered to listen to how that particular person's name is pronounced but defaulted to his own knowledge and education.

What would be the point of doing that deliberately as some kind of slur? It would just undermine his own statements on this issue (hollow as they are).

Justanotherlurker Wed 20-Nov-19 11:26:54

twitter.com/CatherineLenson/status/1197073351111516160

Ohyesiam Wed 20-Nov-19 11:27:18

Genuinely confused how does pronouncing a Jewish name in a Jewish way make you anti Jewish?

Me too, but I imagine people think it’s “othering” or some such.

Minionoftheantichrist Wed 20-Nov-19 11:28:30

EssentialHummus😀

Being Jewish I usually am very sensitive to antisemitism in its many forms so I’m not sure how this went right over my head.

SlightlyBonkersQFA Wed 20-Nov-19 11:28:36

Can you all tell a German name from a Jewish one? Excuse my ignorance. But that mak3s a difference imo.

pigeononthegate Wed 20-Nov-19 11:29:48

I would have pronounced it that way too, because I speak some German and that's the correct pronunciation confused

Am I an anti-Semite as well? What utter nonsense.

stitchwitch85 Wed 20-Nov-19 11:30:05

He does have the look of one of those people who would insist on using the correct Spanish pronunciation when ordering tapas in Croydon.

Given he speaks fluent Spanish, I wouldn’t be surprised, @Breathlessness !

(Didn’t watch the debate, but as a German speaker I would have pronounced Epstein as Ep-Schtine if I hadn’t known it was pronounced differently in America. Not sure that explains Corbyn doing it as surely he must have heard it pronounced on TV/radio/whatever?)

kingsassassin Wed 20-Nov-19 11:30:55

When the only reason you're talking about that person is because he was a convicted sex offender, why would you make a point of emphasising the jewishness of that particular sex offender's name by pronouncing it in a very unusual way.

Gonetoget Wed 20-Nov-19 11:34:04

The poor bloke can't win. If he's pronounced it epsteen, he'd have been jumped on for not doing it the other way. Scraping the barrel indeed.

SlightlyBonkersQFA Wed 20-Nov-19 11:35:11

Is it a specifically Jewish surname?

RaymondStopThat Wed 20-Nov-19 11:35:34

It's interesting that he used Epshtine on one occasion and Epstine on the other. So two pronunciations, both wrong.

BigFatLiar Wed 20-Nov-19 11:37:01

What is the correct pronunciation of the name (as the man himself uses it?) My name is Scottish and lots of people get it wrong, even when going out of their way to try and get it right, doesn't make them anti Scottish.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »