Talk

Advanced search

How to tell work I’m pregnant

(5 Posts)
Princesspickle777 Sat 09-Nov-19 15:46:38

This may seem like a simple obvious one, and it was in my previous pregnancies when I worked for big companies. My issue is I’m a nanny for one family a few hours each evening. I don’t really get much time to chat to the parents as they arrive home and then I leave. I feel awkward just blurting it out as I’m leaving and don’t feel like a text/email is appropriate (or is it?). Would love to hear some views/experiences. I’m 14 weeks so really need to say something soon.

BrokenWing Sat 09-Nov-19 16:26:54

Tell them you need a chat and work out when is convenient, even if it means you need to hang about for 10-15 mins after they get home.

Hopefully initial reaction will be to congratulate you! Tell them briefly what you can/know about your plans/their legal responsibilities and then leave them for it to sink in, they need to make plans to cover you during maternity leave and may have further questions in the next day or so.

PotteringAlong Sat 09-Nov-19 18:44:48

Just stay after they get home and tell them then, surely

Dyrne Sat 09-Nov-19 20:14:08

Don’t spring it on them; text to say “is it OK if we have a quick chat on Weds (or whenever) afternoon once you get back?” Then take them aside away from the children and explain your happy news.

Make sure you know your rights, they may not realise they have to pay you maternity leave etc.

SuperDuperJezebel Sat 09-Nov-19 20:25:16

I agree with the above. I'm also a nanny, when I told my boss I ended up bursting into tears because I felt so bad about it. My employer was a big confused and really lovely about it, I felt a bit embarrassed!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »